Young's Market Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Chris Underwood

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This is a great starting place for someone that wants to enter into the Wine and Spirits business world (in 6 reviews)

• The vast majority of my colleagues were great people, engaged in their jobs (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Many times getting the buyer to even fill the shelves in these accounts is a win but upper management doesn't understand that (in 11 reviews)

• Work/life balance can be difficult to manage (in 4 reviews)

1. "Team work makes the dream work"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Shreveport, LA

I worked at Young's Market Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Family oriented company. Good mentors

Cons

Having to work some weekends.

Advice to Management

None they we're excellent.

"Sales rep"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Young's Market Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company with good values.

Cons

Could get lost in the mix if you are not in a high-end territory.

"Horrible unethical company to work for"

Former Employee - District Manager in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Orange, CA

I worked at Young's Market Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I learned how unethical the wine and spirit industry is.

Cons

I had a work related injury while working at this company. They lied about my income and as a result I was underpaid during the time I was receiving disability payments. I am now deemed 100% disabled and they continue to cause me emotional and financial harm. If you decide to work for them, this may happened to you. They do not appear to sympathize if you are injured lifting the wine and spirit cases that makes them stay in business. Instead, you can be subjected to unethical, illegal treatment.

Advice to Management

I was in management and was not aware how you treated your employees after they were injured at work, until it happened to me. You should treat employees as you would want to be treated. Very simple. Stop illegally paying your employees bonuses and not report them as earned income. This is illegal. I wish I could give a zero for values but this site does not allow it.

"I'm a current employee is it very enjoyable company to work for"

Current Employee - Cross Class Driver Warehouse Men in Chino, CA
    Current Employee - Cross Class Driver Warehouse Men in Chino, CA

I have been working at Young's Market Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The environment
    The encouragement
    The pride
    The integrity
    The brotherhood
    Your sisterhood
    I'm trying to find more words Thank You

Cons

I wish there were some cons to say to finish this article i'm really not a man of small words i'm very truthful honest and have tons of integrity I truthfully do enjoy working here I may not be considered the best employee but I do my best and that is enough for Youngs Market You have a nice day I hope you find a job that fits you

Advice to Management

You are doing a fine job keep up the good work

5. "Good foot in the door for spirits industry."

Former Employee - District Manager Chains in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - District Manager Chains in San Diego, CA

I worked at Young's Market Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free booze. Great experience learning sales techniques. Basically a sink or swim environment so you learn quickly if it's the right fit for you.

Cons

Bad hours, everyone making little money so everyone's out for themselves. Everyone in the industry knows the chains are run on a "what's in it for me" system.

Advice to Management

More management training.

"Can't say anything positive other than..."

Current Employee - Sales in South Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in South Seattle, WA

I have been working at Young's Market Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits.
    The HR department is helpful.

Cons

Onboarding was non-existent, my manager has no real understanding of what it means to be a leader. Employees are backstabbing, and negative. The work environment is not only toxic, there are no team players and the suppliers are constantly hard to deal with and rude because they know they can be. Nearly everyone talks about each other behind their backs, and they all gossip profusely. Strange dynamics between promo agency and Young's. Very hard to get the support needed to do your job, feels like asking for a kidney at times. Communication is broken, and if you have an issue, be prepated to have it ignored, and swept under the rug by your manager. No one really went through basic work processes and procedures, report's, here's how to request p.t.o. etc.

Advice to Management

Conduct reviews that help provide an understanding of the experiences employees have with managers.
    Help employees grow in their roles, help with on boarding, coaching, and instill positive team dynamics.
    Be more respectful and instill that value within the management team. (I've never felt less valued as an employee or team member.) Too much corporate speak and not enough focus on helping people with their goals....and not enough "why this matters."
    Find team leaders, not just people who have earned enough seniority to be a "manager".
    Work to create and instill an environment where people feel like they matter for the work they do, not just for how they are helping grow the company.
    Hold people accountable for bad behaviour and bullying. Audit what happens under each division and find out what really happens and how people feel.

7. "District Manager"

Former Employee - Wine Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Wine Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Young's Market Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong Portfolio of Wine and Spirits, Good Logistics Infrastructure, Strong Supplier Base, Room for Growth within the Company

Cons

High Turnover of Sales Force

Advice to Management

Offer New Opportunities for Growth of Successful Sales Staff

"Being a Key Account Manager (or so I was told)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Young's Market Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work with some great people on the Columbia side, opportunities to interact with wide variety of industry personnel, decent pay/benefits package.

Cons

I was hired on for an overlay rep position, and told (without any warning sign whatsoever) on the last day of my probationary period I would not be renewed, and the position would be "switched to internal only". My small team and direct manager were extremely nice and made things seem very positive until that day. My manager was very friendly and experienced, but could not type a coherent email which was frustrating.

Almost more shocking than being blind-sided was the fact when I applied for other positions Young's reported I falsified my job title as "Key Account Manager" and that I was in fact a "Sales Associate". I don't know where I got that idea except the 500 business cards they printed for me that said I was a Key Account Manager.

Other cons would be the constant griping between senior sales reps and merchandisers, extreme hyperbole about the competition, and vague monthly quotas that frustrate reps.

Advice to Management

Be fair and transparent when hiring out of industry. Also think about basic electronic communication standards for some of your more senior employees, so their e-mails don't look like a 2nd grader hijacked their iPad.

"YMCO"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tustin, CA

I have been working at Young's Market Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family owned, good people, solid Brands

Cons

Family owned, behind the times.

"Estates Group Specialist"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Young's Market Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The potential to make a decent income. Co-workers are for the most part capable of meeting job requirements.

Cons

Senior management are tyrants expecting everyone else to bow to them. There are no boundaries they will not cross to threaten, extort and terrorise anyone underneath them. HR is aware of the rampant abuse and boastful mispgyny but is powerless to critique their masters. Senior management is completely out of touch with the workforce and unable to lead or advise...only threaten. This is an arcane business model doomed to fail.

Advice to Management

Management needs to change from the very top. Bribing customers and terrorising employees can not sustain this company in the modern world. 1950's style management will not be tolerated by the millenial workforce who will no longer need to rely on a feckless HR department but will instead utilise social media to "out" the unskilled, knowledgable and corrupt senior management.