Young's Market Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 26, 2017

2.0
Chris Underwood

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This is a great starting place for someone that wants to enter into the Wine and Spirits business world (in 6 reviews)

• The vast majority of my colleagues were great people, engaged in their jobs (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Many times getting the buyer to even fill the shelves in these accounts is a win but upper management doesn't understand that (in 11 reviews)

• Work/life balance can be difficult to manage (in 4 reviews)

1. "Exciting industry, but work is tedious and boring"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Young's Market Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Beer, wine and spirits what's not to like
    Discounts on wine as an employee
    Family ran business but all the money stays there employees do not share in the tremendous profits

Cons

Project management is poor and inefficient
    Contractors are paid very late up to 60 days
    Direct hires work up to 80 hours a week

Advice to Management

Get real project managers
    Engage resources that have done the work before

2. "Unless you're okay being a mediocre employee- look elsewhere."

Current Employee - Sales Representative/Drug Mass
    Current Employee - Sales Representative/Drug Mass

I have been working at Young's Market Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young's Market company is a great place to work because they promote internally most of the time. They have a great brand portfolio. Good benefits. Decent pay. Incentives are helpful (depending on your division). Diversity. Overtime. Fun work perks.

Cons

My biggest complaint is that we don't get the tools we need to sell. I was promised a tablet when I started and never received one- now I hear that won't be happening and we will have work phones. This simply doesn't work. Management sends emails with attachments/sell sheets we are supposed to show buyers or large excel sheets that pull numbers but the only way I can show them is on my personal phone (with a small screen) which is embarrassing and unprofessional. Printing is only an option when I am at home- and on my own dime- but most the time these items are sent during business hours while working in the field. I don't understand this logic in switching to phones. This limits the selling tools we need to effectively do our jobs, meet our goals, and ultimately advance within the company.
    Additionally, the case goal expectations set in the drug mass division is absolutely ridiculous. Many times getting the buyer to even fill the shelves in these accounts is a win but upper management doesn't understand that. Even when goals are met, getting the product to come into the store from the store's DC is impossible (due to many order caps on products that are unknown(was a much better system when it was DSD)). I understand it is a sales job and goals need to be set and met- however I hope that upper management takes some to go out in the field as a sales rep (store managers speak differently to management) and try to use only the limited tools they share with us to sell in products.

Lastly, I think it is great that Young's Market prides themselves on promoting from within- however this means that sometimes this is a persons first time in a management role. It would be great for their bosses to ask for feedback from their team as a way to sharpen their management skills. My entire team, myself included was on the brink of leaving due to unorganized/bad management. Communication is set up to where you are only supposed to speak to your DM who then passes along information to their management. This is a poor system when the DM is only looking out for themselves and your left without the tools and answers you need.

Advice to Management

Imagine going out everyday and working your hardest to only consistently meet half your goals because the expectations are unrealistic. Anyone who takes pride in their job and a job well done will never be happy only meeting half their goals. I hope that my review will be passed along and the management in the drug mass division will go on in the field and see what the true expectations should be.

Additionally, most incentives are only relevant to the grocery division- try making some more relevant to drug mass division.

Lastly, there should be a better on boarding program.

"Dissatisfied"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Oakland, CA

I worked at Young's Market Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Better than being unemployed.

Fun co workers. Nice industry for creative people. Decent pay. Commission is nice. Make your own schedule.

Cons

Micro management from superiors. Suffocating work environment. Corrupt. Encourages and promotes unethical behavior. You want the weekend off? Too bad. You need to be in at 3am. You are reprimanded for not surpassing your sales goals. If you surpass your goals, you are reprimanded for not surpassing some other expectation.

Advice to Management

Set ----realistic---goals. Don't set employees up for failure. This is why turnover is so high. Let reps and merchandisers do their thing. If they don't meet their goals, don't encourage unethical behavior.

4. "Sales and Marketing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Been around since 1888, has a 401k matching program

Cons

Poor organizational culture, lack of training, political

5. "Courtesy clerk"

Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Young's Market Company part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are wanting to learn how to work at a grocery store, then work here.

Cons

The pay is very terrible and the managers treated the employees different

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat the employees the same.

6. "Former manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Good, fair salary for the work performed.

Cons

Terrible environment - Union !! Constant unnecessary fighting and the company isn't very knowledgeable about handing union affairs.

"The stress isn't worth the pay"

Former Employee - Sales Representative/Merchandiser
    Former Employee - Sales Representative/Merchandiser

I worked at Young's Market Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Start your day early, end your day early.
    Fairly independent work environment.
    Drive your own vehicle, gas reimbursement based on mileage.

Cons

Ridiculous amount of stress to "sell", low pay not worth the stress.
    Not actually selling to chain grocery stores, just coercing them to order from their own warehouse.
    Spend vast majority of your time as free labor to grocery stores, seconds actually selling.
    Bribery, kick-backs, and favoritism from grocery store managers only way to guarantee success.

Advice to Management

Too many updates, ridiculous online inventory updates that are truly based on BS numbers. This entire system needs to be revamped.

8. "Sales Representative"

Pros

Good experience as an entry level Sales Representative

Cons

Salary is not up to par to other Wine distributors

"Negative Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Young's Market Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with large spirit brands

Cons

Competitive, Negative culture, un-supportive, no loyalty, unorganized chaos, unrealistic goals

Advice to Management

Lead by example - not by instilling fear into employees

10. "On Premise Sales Representative"

I have been working at Young's Market Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of freedom to get your work done. Great Benefits. Okay pay, definitely doesn't pay enough for cost of living in the bay area.

Cons

Upper management is going through some changes, not sure its for the better. No real training, thrown to the wolves sink or swim mentality.

Advice to Management

Invest in a real training program.