KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Youth Villages CEO Patrick Lawler
Patrick Lawler
Talk anonymously with Healthcare professionals

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Youth Villages and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Change the world, one child at a time.

May 29, 2015 - Foster Care Counselor in Knoxville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

When you come to work at Youth Villages you join an elite team of individuals from every walk of life, determined to make the lives of the youth in our city, your city, and the nation better. The word "altruism" defines us and there are no limits to what can be achieved when people stand together to help one another help the community. From the office manager to the executive director, every person that works at Youth Villages is saving lives everyday. We work with teens all the way down to itty bitty babies with the diligence and fervor and the heart necessary to help children and families heal, reunite, and to move onward and upward. This job is a lifestyle more than a job and if you are looking to make a difference in your community and have the right qualifications, then this is the place for you. The case loads are lighter than similar jobs working for the state and you could not hope to find a more loving, fun bunch of people to work with.

Cons

Be prepared for a lot of learning and organization. This is all paid for and provided by Youth Villages but I would want anyone coming into this job to know this so that they can be prepared. It's not really a "con" so to speak since it is a part of every job. As a former college professor I just wanted to let you know what's coming.

8 people found this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Former Employee

Helpful for a big agency perspective

Apr 20, 2021 - Foster Care Counselor in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Great supervision and understanding team/supervisors 2. Lots of opportunities for professional development 3. Ability to flex hours

Cons

1. A massive amount of paperwork 2. Easy to burn out when working with a highly vulnerable population

Youth Villages

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a thoughtful review about your experience working at Youth Villages. During the hiring process, we aim to be very transparent about the non-traditional hours and scheduling that is required for many of our positions. Employees enjoy the flexibility of working with company-issued laptops and creating their own meeting schedules, but it does require time management skills. We understand our line of work may require extra time, particularly if a child or family is in crisis. The work required at times can be demanding, but hopefully fulfilling and beneficial to all involved. Please reach out to us to share any additional feedback at feedback@youthvillages.org.

3. 3.0

Salary

Jan 17, 2021 - Foster Care Counselor in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

I work with amazing children dealt the worse hands in life, and am able to help them through challenges and advocate for them

Cons

Work way too many hours; no boundaries due to the structure and unrealistic expectations

4. 4.0

Great Company

Oct 8, 2020 - Foster Care Counselor in Clarksville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent management, salary, and team-oriented

Cons

Paperwork, work outside of office hours

Senior Public Relations Coordinator

Thank you for you feedback! We understand our line of work may require extra time. The work required at times can be demanding, but hopefully fulfilling and beneficial to all involved. Please reach out to us to share any additional feedback at feedback@youthvillages.org.

5. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Cultish Culture

Sep 9, 2020 - Foster Care Counselor in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible scheduling for counselors Working with the children was rewarding Training was thorough and effective overall

Cons

Ridiculous corporate hierarchy Cultish corporate culture “Yes men” are valued more than critical thinkers asking clarifying questions.

Senior Public Relations Coordinator

Thank you for sharing! We are constantly meeting and brainstorming ways to decrease the stress associated with the job. Your insight is very valuable to us and we will share with leadership. Please reach out to us to share any additional feedback at feedback@youthvillages.org.

6. 3.0
    Current Employee

A mixed bag

Dec 5, 2019 - Foster Care Counselor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good experience counseling youth abd families

Cons

Long hours, lots of driving, there's a lot of case management

Youth Villages

Thank you for sharing your feedback. The work required at times can be demanding but hopefully fulfilling and beneficial to all involved, including our colleagues and families we serve as we work to help children we serve return home to their families. Thank you!

7. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

TFC Counselor

May 28, 2019 - Foster Care Counselor in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers, trainings, job conference, mileage check *if you like driving

Cons

Pay, hours, lack of communication from leadership, lack of Support from the leadership

Youth Villages

We appreciate your feedback! We are sorry to hear you experienced a lack of support and communication from leadership this is something we want to continue to highlight when evaluating our leadership team moving forward. If you have other information to share, please contact us at feedback@youthvillages.org.

8. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Do Not work here

Dec 18, 2016 - Foster-Care Counselor in Mountain City, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

This was one of the worst employment experiences I have ever had- from the pay to the hours to the management. There were absolutely no pros.

Cons

Everything. This job was horrible. It was a complete waste of my degree, time, energy and talents

4 people found this review helpful

Youth Villages

We're sorry your work was disappointing. Recently, we have significantly increased salaries for frontline staff, and work hours have been reduced. Youth Villages is providing laptop/hybrid computers to allow our in-home and community-based staff to do their work more efficiently. We are committed to providing the best technology to our frontline staff so they can spend time working intensely with the children and families who need us so much.

9. 3.0

Foster Care Counselor

Mar 21, 2016 - Foster Care Counselor
    Business Outlook

Pros

You will gain experience with working with families and children, specifically at-risk.

Cons

You will be expected a lot of driving, documentation, and running around.

10. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Horrible company that doesn't support its employees!

Oct 14, 2015 - Foster Care Counselor in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working with the children and the foster parents was very fulfilling. They appreciated the hard work and dedication that was shown.

Cons

Very long hours. NO COMP TIME!!! Bullying by supervisors is normal. $29,000 for more than 60 hours a week.

5 people found this review helpful