KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

The latest conversations about Healthcare

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Youth Villages and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

I liked it

Mar 12, 2022 - Overnight Teacher Counselor in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Rewarding job if you love it

Cons

Scheduling and work life balance

2. 2.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

No work life balance

Feb 27, 2021 - Overnight Teacher Counselor in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

The pay and seeing the kids successfully complete treatment

Cons

Employee needs are over looked. No work life balance. Wouldn’t recommend if you’re married or have kids

2 people found this review helpful

Youth Villages

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a thoughtful review about your experience working at Youth Villages. During the hiring process, we aim to be very transparent about the non-traditional hours and scheduling that is required for many of our positions. Employees enjoy the flexibility of working with company-issued laptops and creating their own meeting schedules, but it does require time management skills. We understand our line of work may require extra time, particularly if a child or family is in crisis. The work required at times can be demanding, but hopefully fulfilling and beneficial to all involved. Please reach out to us to share any additional feedback at feedback@youthvillages.org.

3. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Make Decent Money but Very Stressful Job

Feb 23, 2021 - Overnight Teacher Counselor in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Generous overtime 3 day weekend

Cons

Constant turnover leads to burnout Difficult to take time off when there are staff shortages

4. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Overworked

Feb 28, 2019 - Overnight Teacher Counselor in Bartlett, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good for people fresh out of college

Cons

No life outside of work, too many hours

Youth Villages

Thank you for your feedback. Here at Youth Villages we are always striving to strike a balance between work and home life. We have succeeded in many ways thanks to technology, giving our staff remote ways to complete their jobs. Yet, we are constantly looking for ways to enhance this aspect of our organization.

5. 2.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Overnight teacher counselor

Aug 17, 2018 - Overnight Teacher Counselor in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

The kids are very welcoming once you get to know them. The kids have different activities. The kids being discharged and you repeating the cycle. The pay is okay depending on the position.

Cons

The hours you have to work 55-60 in a week. The amount of meetings you have to attend. The outside balance life is not guaranteed. They need to hire a data entry specialists for overnight teacher counselors it’s to much documentation and not enough time in the day to do it.

6. 3.0

Apr 13, 2017 - Overnight Teacher Counselor in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fufilling at times, Gained leadership experience

Cons

Hours, Atmosphere, Emotional Toll, Not for everyone. The people who work in Operations are not the problem; however, the employees who actually work with the children are the problems. It is unfortunate for the kids.

Youth Villages

Thanks for your feedback. Many of our senior leadership team began their careers as teacher/counselors on a residential campus. Frontline staff are so important to the children who need us, and many find the jobs very rewarding.

7. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Supervisor

May 2, 2016 - Overnight Teacher Counselor, Group Home Supervisor in Bartlett, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very good company to work for. They would listen to your needs when you spoke with upper mangament. Also had a very good staff that worked for me.

Cons

Worked a lot of long hours. Should break shifts up so staff wouldn't have to work such long hours. Also hire more staff to have coverage for when staff would call in.

Youth Villages

Thank you for your genuine, caring and thoughtful review! I’m glad to hear you took the time and effort to talk to management about any concerns you had – and that you felt heard. It’s also nice to know you enjoyed your staff and colleagues. We are aware that hours are often long on campus and that this can be a cause for staff dissatisfaction. We are experimenting with different staff schedules and staffing patterns that we hope will make a difference. I will pass your suggestions for more operational meetings on, and I agree that we will need to do more employee outreach to bring leadership and frontline staff closer. I’ll also pass on your suggestion regarding group sessions. Thanks for your service and feedback!

8. 1.0
    Former Employee

They aren't honest so I will be...

May 16, 2016 - Overnight Teacher Counselor in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very rewarding experience. You get experience working with children who are very disturbing which can prepare you for another job in another field dealing with children or people period.

Cons

I want to keep in 100% real because they don't. It's all false advertisement because if they were honest people probably wouldn't apply. Any position that's in residential STAY AWAY. They give you the title "Behavior Youth Counselor" which I'll admit looks good on your resume but trust me when I say you are far from a counselor. You're a baby sitter! Your primary job is to watch the kids and keep them safe or in better words keep them from killing each other. Mess around and work with the small group of kids and you're pretty much their mother. You have to do almost everything for them. Make sure they take a shower, get their medication, clean up after them. You have to do transports sometimes up to 6 hours away. The hours are demanding, the pay sucks; probably would be better if we weren't on salary and got overtime considering we work up to 60 hrs a week. They tell you upfront that you either work a Sunday-Wednesday shift or a Wednesday-Saturday shift and either Sunday or Saturday will be your 16 hour shift. What they don't tell you is that depending on what campus you work at you will have to do overnights, come in at 2pm not 2:30 and do preshift and on Wednesday you have to come in at 11 for like 3 hours of unnecessary meetings which make Wednesday a 12 hour shift. The children are horrible and there isn't really much help that Youth Villages can do for them besides give them a bed to sleep on and food on the table. I've seen plenty of kids come back after finishing "treatment". I've also seen some kids improve so it's somewhat beneficial for the smaller kids who still have hope. The kids will eat you alive if you're the passive type. I've seen staff get beat up and seriously injured because of the kids trying to fight them or even when restraining them. The kids are manipulative and very disrespectful, some are potentially dangerous and should be at a REAL treatment facility or even juvenile detention. Management is a joke, you better hope you get lucky and get someone who is supportive because then you're left to dry and thrown under the bus. Supervisors are incompetent because all they do is fill in positions because the turnover rate is so high. The company shows favortism and is very unprofessional. Youth Villages is a joke, they are money hungry, it's all about the money to them not helping the kids. They don't care about the kids or value their staff.

12 people found this review helpful
  9. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

AON Teacher/Counselor

Jan 14, 2016 - Awake Overnight Teacher/Counselor in Vancouver, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Being able to help youths.

Cons

Salary low and no day off approved.

10. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

No Beuno

Jan 10, 2016 - Overnight Teacher Counselor in Lake Oswego, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Co-workers who have stood the test of time...bless you all. The kids...I will remember you all...3 days off. Trust me...you'll need it!

Cons

I have just been written up for the first time. I was overheard saying in a private office that I was glad it was shutting down and the next thing you know I am written up for a very common practice. Management is the sole reason this company failed. I saw children come out worse than when they were admitted. it's a shame and shame on those who were part of it...anytime an abused child is treated in a disrespectful manner it only furthers their pain. Youth Villages idea of treatment lacks compassion, kindness and common courtesy. It does not work.. my focus from this point on is to continue with emotionally disturbed foster children using techniques that will actually help.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17 Reviews