Youth Villages Reviews | Glassdoor

Youth Villages CEO Patrick Lawler
Patrick Lawler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is definitely a challenge in this field (in 57 reviews)

• The extremely high turnover rate means you are perpetually understaffed (in 28 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Hardest job I have ever loved"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In my experience leadership are very supportive toward staff. Every supervisor I have had since joining YV has treated me with respect and as a peer rather than as a subordinate. They have encouraged my development as a clinician and as a leader. I feel valued and heard more now than in any prior professional setting. I appreciate the way the company invests in staff success. For example, I was able to complete my second Master's degree through the tuition reimbursement offered by Youth Villages. I am currently seeking licensure with support from YV. The multi-level clinical supervision structure ensures strong accountability and enables staff to serve youth and families with confidence. I appreciate Youth Villages' mission and values and how those are reflected in the work that we do daily. Helping youth and families to live successfully can be challenging but also quite rewarding.

Cons

The work we do is very demanding with regard to time and energy. Work life balance is definitely a challenge in this field. The rewards don't necessarily come in the form of financial compensation. Working in community based programs has put a lot of miles on my vehicles.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster a culture of support and empowerment for staff. Celebrate and encourage staff contributions as often as possible.

Mar 10, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thank you for this feedback! It's demanding work, but we're so pleased to be able to help specialist advance in their careers by earning master's degrees and attaining licensure! Congratulations!... More

2. "YVLifeSet Specialist"

Current Employee - YVLifeSet Specialist in Boone, NC
    Current Employee - YVLifeSet Specialist in Boone, NC

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have honestly enjoyed working at Youth Villages as a YVLifeSet Specialist, and some of the pros that I have experienced are:

-I work with a great team of co-workers, and I have a really great supervisor who knows my weaknesses, as well as my strengths, and instead of harping on my (few) weaknesses, he really builds me up. I would not be the worker that I am today without his guidance, and his genuine support.
    -The age group that we serve are one of the most overlooked in NC, and you can definitely see the growth and progress within your youth during the treatment process.
    -The office environment is awesome, the other teams such as MST and Intercept are wonderful to work by. It's like being part of one big family.
    -Our Office Manager is the bomb.
    -Networking within your community and learning about the services that your local counties offer is a huge advantage. It is an awesome way of getting your name out there and connecting with other community supports that will help you do your job even more effectively and best serve your youth.
    - The flexibility in terms of your schedule is wonderful.
    - I feel valued as an employee (which is extremely important to me)
    - You have the ability to move up, as well as to different locations, if you want.

Overall, I think it's a great job, I think anyone who is coming out of college or wanting to expand their horizons into the field of Mental Health could truly benefit from working with an organization like Youth Villages.

Cons

Some of the cons that I have experienced:

- There is a lot of driving, but you do get reimbursed
    - Requirements can be a little tough to meet, but not unobtainable
    - It is a very stressful job, and you can easily overwork yourself if you do not create a healthy boundary between your work and personal life.
    - The On-Call system is a little shotty due to not being compensated for overtime. (Time and a half would be nice) But you are only on-call every 4-8 weeks (depending on how big your region/teams are)

Sep 11, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thank you for your feedback. We're so glad to hear how much you enjoyed your team and the support of your supervisor! We think Youth Villages is a great place to work and make a difference in the... More

3. "Therapist"

Current Employee - Therapist
    Current Employee - Therapist

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can work from home when not seeing clients.

Cons

Where do I begin? 60+ hour weeks with no compensation for overtime. Unrealistic expectations. Training demands that eat your time. Redundant and time-consuming paperwork. No leadership support for work-life balance. It's "whatever it takes" for everyone except staff. Social Work agencies that don't care for workforce will not attract quality social workers. Maybe that's why this is seen as more of a "paying your dues" job until people find something better or go off to get another degree. Avoid working here if you can.

Advice to Management

Support your staff. Keep it at 40 hours and help them clear their schedules to accomplish that. Offer support. Don't staff one therapist with 7 cases when compliance says you should only have 4-6. Stop with the uneccesary but mandated trainings that take up several hours a week.

4. "Great potential still needs work."

Current Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Middle Valley, TN
    Current Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Middle Valley, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with children and families, great co-workers, benefits, vacation and sick time. Plenty of opportunity for growth and development, and tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Inconsistent demands from leadership, unclear on when work day begins and when it ends, low autonomy, not as flexible as advertised, unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be on the same page and consistent across the board. More thought needs to be put into front line employees. Maybe group intercept teams by location, take into account when families are available to meet. I was aware it would be non-traditional work hours, but it was not made clear I would be coming by 8 o'clock or later more than three nights out of the week after working a 10 hour day. If a specialist has families that can only meet in the evening from the times of 2-6 why assign a family who can also only meet at the same time? It causes chaos and late sessions...I'm talking 7:30 or later? No one told me I could be expecting to work until 9 or later. I have a family and I feel the job isn't flexible or willing to work with employees who do have children. Put thought in to location and meeting times when assigning a case. Support your employees, offer encouragement and solutions. We have a high turn over rate and it doesn't make sense because we have the potential to be a great company. Leadership needs to lead from the front not the back.

"Great philosophy but lacks consideration for staff"

Current Employee - Clinical Supervisor in Plymouth, MA
    Current Employee - Clinical Supervisor in Plymouth, MA

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission and values, good processes in place to help kids and families. There are great support positions to help those on the front lines. Wonderful people who work on the front lines.

Cons

Regularly changing expectations for direct care staff and supervisors, coming from upper management without consideration of the impact of those changes.

Clinical Supervisor is such an important role but often ends up absorbing tasks/expectations from above and below, making the position increasingly more difficult and unmanageable.

Sep 19, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thank you for your comments on the work that we do and how we support frontline staff. Your concerns have been passed along to leadership.

"lacks leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MA

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

love the families/youth that we work with, love the support from coworkers. The idea of the work that is being done, is awesome and needed

Cons

Leadership is abusive, absolute bullies. They want everyone to work tons of hours, it doesn't matter if you had 2 days off from vacation, you are still expected to see everyone the same amount of time, work over 40 hours and use your personal time. The families do not get what they need because no one cares from the leadership so we don't grow and are miserable. The outcomes are not long lasting. The specialist now see 5 families instead of 4 .
    The Leadership use bullying as their style of leadership. They do not care about self care, no one cares about the families, they just pretend to care.

There is little guidance, there is little or no feedback on treatment plans and then will accuse you of not doing your job. People are blamed if something goes wrong with the families.

Advice to Management

Hire people who know how to teach, how to talk with employees, how to motivate and are not bullies.

Sep 28, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thanks for your feedback. All of our employees know that concerns can be reported to our Program Integrity Hotline: 901-251-4976. Please call if you have information to share.

7. "professional workplace making a real difference"

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Youth Villages is making a real difference in the lives of children and families through implementing evidence based practices and achieving the highest of outcomes with tough family situations. The workplace is a professional, friendly atmosphere, and you leave work every day knowing you've made an impact.

Cons

Front-line work with youth and families is challenging, but it is rewarding and great work experience.

Sep 11, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thank you for your feedback! And your work at Youth Villages!

"No Leadership No Support"

Current Employee - Clinician in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Clinician in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible direct clinical work with youth and families. The actual therapeutic work is really invaluable.

Cons

The leadership is astounding. There is none. The managers are accusatory, judgmental, simple minded, etc. One manager in particular does not have a degree for counseling... so how is she qualified to have that job? Many people in the department reported her to Human Resources and they haven't done a thing but nod and smile. She is the sole reason that there is high turnover in that department. I would not be shocked at all if the entire department dissolved in the next 6 months because she can't keep an employee. The paperwork is not manageable. The managers and consultants are micro-managing in terms of how clinicians should do their work. However, they don't bother to actually get to know the kids or families but tell you how to work with them. Being in the field with families was amazing, being in the office with the unqualified managers is what made the job stressful.

Advice to Management

You should evaluate why there is such high turnover. It's not the actual work itself. It's you.

Sep 19, 2017 – Youth Villages

We're glad that you see the importance of your therapeutic work. Sorry that you have issues with management. Supportive teams and supervisors enable our frontline staff to do their best for... More

9. "Teacher 1"

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and tuition assistance availability

Cons

Cant really take days off.

10. "Rewarding Work"

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time

Pros

Good Supervision Structure
    Flexible Schedule
    Rewarding Work

Cons

High Burn Out
    Long Hours
    On-Call for multiple programs at a time

Jul 24, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thank you for your feedback. Helping children and families on the frontline isn't easy, but it's so rewarding. Our specialists work in teams and receive strong support from their supervisors... More