Youth Villages Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Youth Villages CEO Patrick Lawler
Patrick Lawler

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is definitely a challenge in this field (in 51 reviews)

• The extremely high turnover rate means you are perpetually understaffed (in 23 reviews)

1. "Crisis Counselor"

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time

Pros

Great co-workers and supervision in company.

Cons

Overwhelming amount of paperwork and travel time.

2. "Primary Service Coordinator"

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time

Pros

Immediate co-workers; flexibility; health insurance; PTO

Cons

Leadership on all levels; not paid for what you do; lousy raises.

Advice to Management

Do your job. Quit being lazy. Listen to your front line staff since they are the ones bringing in the money for you to have your job also. Promote people who actually deserve it, not those who will just not question anything.

Mar 10, 2017 – Youth Villages

So sorry that your experience wasn't what you expected. We've significantly increased pay in many of our front-line positions and have taken other steps to reduce workloads and enhance work-life ... More

3. "therapist"

Current Employee - Therapist in Dallastown, PA
    Current Employee - Therapist in Dallastown, PA

I have been working at Youth Villages (Less than a year)

Pros

they have very flexible hours

Cons

sometimes managements just doesn't get it

Advice to Management

do your job!

Mar 10, 2017 – Youth Villages

Sorry that you're having a bad experience at work -- but it's not with us. We have more than 70 locations in 12 states and D.C. -- but we're not in Pennsylvania.

5. "Family Intervention Specialist"

Current Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Jasper, IN
    Current Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Jasper, IN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The case load is manageable, the co-workers are amazing, and you CANNOT beat the level of support that you receive from all levels of your supervision. There are tons of benefits including tuition reimbursement for continuing education, paid licensure classes and supervision, and it qualifies you to have your student loans forgiven after 10 years. Along with that the mileage is quite a nice check to receive once a month (and it isn't taxed!). Overall for me it is much more than the benefits or the money, this is a company that takes care of it's employees despite being so large!

Cons

The hours can be erratic, to say the least. You stay under 40 hours, but it is not reasonable to believe you'll be working 9-5. My hours are generally 11-7.

Mar 10, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thank you so much for your feedback! And everything you do to help children and families in Indiana! Love to hear about specialists using our tuition reimbursement and free licensure support to ... More

6. "Hardest job I have ever loved"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In my experience leadership are very supportive toward staff. Every supervisor I have had since joining YV has treated me with respect and as a peer rather than as a subordinate. They have encouraged my development as a clinician and as a leader. I feel valued and heard more now than in any prior professional setting. I appreciate the way the company invests in staff success. For example, I was able to complete my second Master's degree through the tuition reimbursement offered by Youth Villages. I am currently seeking licensure with support from YV. The multi-level clinical supervision structure ensures strong accountability and enables staff to serve youth and families with confidence. I appreciate Youth Villages' mission and values and how those are reflected in the work that we do daily. Helping youth and families to live successfully can be challenging but also quite rewarding.

Cons

The work we do is very demanding with regard to time and energy. Work life balance is definitely a challenge in this field. The rewards don't necessarily come in the form of financial compensation. Working in community based programs has put a lot of miles on my vehicles.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster a culture of support and empowerment for staff. Celebrate and encourage staff contributions as often as possible.

Mar 10, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thank you for this feedback! It's demanding work, but we're so pleased to be able to help specialist advance in their careers by earning master's degrees and attaining licensure! Congratulations! ... More

7. "Great company for an internship"

Current Intern - Intern in Memphis, TN
    Current Intern - Intern in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very supportive management, opportunities for growth and advancement

Cons

Demanding work, but it's very fulfilling

Advice to Management

Pay us more

8. "I love it."

Current Employee - Senior Behavioral Youth Counselor in Bartlett, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Behavioral Youth Counselor in Bartlett, TN

Pros

The children definitely make it worth it. The benefits.

Cons

Long hours, unmotivated coworkers, and work life balance.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees.

Jan 11, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thank you for your feedback! The work is not easy, but it's so rewarding. And we're working on work-life balance! Eighty-six percent of the children who completed their programs at Youth Villages ... More

9. "Fam Intervention Specialist"

Current Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Cookeville, TN
    Current Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Cookeville, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time

Pros

Family environment. Teamwork and great pay. Reimbursed for mileage and cell phone. Work is done in the field on laptop.

Cons

Many deadlines have to be met. Alot of traveling from home to home.

Advice to Management

Do more team building exercises.

Jan 11, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thank your for your feedback! Our specialists love Youth Villages' focus on teamwork and how supportive our supervisors are. It's especially important for young graduates just starting out. Youth ... More

"LifeSet Specialist"

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with the youth, flexibility

Cons

Micromanaged, treated like a child instead of a professional, management lack communication skills, overworked and underpaid

Advice to Management

Learn how to talk to your staff, trust your staff who are professionals instead of questioning them all the time, learn how to be sympathetic because your staff are humans not robots, increase in pay so one can afford to live on their own and not work 2 jobs or live with a roommate. Pay should match the living cost in the area, check the rental rates in your area because one check can't pay rent!

"Family intervention specialist"

Current Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule.. if you get the right supervisor it can be manageable
    Working from home is an option and you are now provided with a lap top

Cons

The work load and expectations if the company are unrealistic. Work/life balance does not exist because you are expected to put your clients before your own family.
    When situations get tough management uses intimidation and personal attacks to get staff to comply. They focus on blaming instead of helping and supporting.
    Half of the staff that are in management are not qualified to run/lead a team never mind an office.
    The turn over rate is insane! In one month 4 staff members left .. thats one a week !! In an office of 10-12 specialists.
    When you advocate for the needs of your clients .. if is not aligned with company mission/values you are shut down completely and then you become the problem.. " you are not doing your job".
    The office management barely interact with staff only when they are "non compliant"

Advice to Management

Please.. please.. look at every office .. what works and what doesn't and why.. start from your "office leaders" Regional Directors.. managers..sups.. A good team needs good leaders.. you cant expect an office to run successfully when the two leading the race are blind!
    You are loosing valuable staff who are committed to making a difference because of the lack of good leaders.

Jan 17, 2017 – Youth Villages

Your comments are going directly to top leadership at Youth Villages and in this program. Thank you for this feedback. As you know, support for front-line staff is critical. We are doing many things ... More