Youth Villages Reviews | Glassdoor

Youth Villages CEO Patrick Lawler
Patrick Lawler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is definitely a challenge in this field (in 57 reviews)

• The extremely high turnover rate means you are perpetually understaffed (in 27 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Hardest job I have ever loved"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In my experience leadership are very supportive toward staff. Every supervisor I have had since joining YV has treated me with respect and as a peer rather than as a subordinate. They have encouraged my development as a clinician and as a leader. I feel valued and heard more now than in any prior professional setting. I appreciate the way the company invests in staff success. For example, I was able to complete my second Master's degree through the tuition reimbursement offered by Youth Villages. I am currently seeking licensure with support from YV. The multi-level clinical supervision structure ensures strong accountability and enables staff to serve youth and families with confidence. I appreciate Youth Villages' mission and values and how those are reflected in the work that we do daily. Helping youth and families to live successfully can be challenging but also quite rewarding.

Cons

The work we do is very demanding with regard to time and energy. Work life balance is definitely a challenge in this field. The rewards don't necessarily come in the form of financial compensation. Working in community based programs has put a lot of miles on my vehicles.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster a culture of support and empowerment for staff. Celebrate and encourage staff contributions as often as possible.

Mar 10, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thank you for this feedback! It's demanding work, but we're so pleased to be able to help specialist advance in their careers by earning master's degrees and attaining licensure! Congratulations!... More

2. "professional workplace making a real difference"

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Youth Villages is making a real difference in the lives of children and families through implementing evidence based practices and achieving the highest of outcomes with tough family situations. The workplace is a professional, friendly atmosphere, and you leave work every day knowing you've made an impact.

Cons

Front-line work with youth and families is challenging, but it is rewarding and great work experience.

3. "It all depends"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hernando, MS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hernando, MS

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great flexibility. Good benefits. I had a great supervisor and team, but it all depends on your department. The work is very rewarding.

Cons

Horrible pay. Clear & unhealthy separation between "corporate" and front-line staff. Many positions are way overworked and underpaid.

Advice to Management

Value your staff.

Aug 16, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thanks for your feedback. Flexible work in supportive teams led by great supervisors are what new specialists should expect from us. Frontline staff salaries have just been increased, and we're... More

4. "Teacher 1"

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and tuition assistance availability

Cons

Cant really take days off.

5. "Family Intervention Specialist (WMASS)"

Former Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in West Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in West Springfield, MA

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Agency cares about clients, Flexible,

Cons

Pay could be better, Only 2 weeks of holiday, rotating on-call,

Advice to Management

provide more vacation to prevent burn out. Have caseload near clients to cut down on mileage.

6. "Counselor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

I worked at Youth Villages (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and some of the co/workers are helpful

Cons

The driving is insane and the Worcester supervisors need to grow up, and stop picking favorites everyone working hard be fair be a leader.

Advice to Management

Supervisor supposed to be leaders not followers

7. "Rewarding Work"

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time

Pros

Good Supervision Structure
    Flexible Schedule
    Rewarding Work

Cons

High Burn Out
    Long Hours
    On-Call for multiple programs at a time

Jul 24, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thank you for your feedback. Helping children and families on the frontline isn't easy, but it's so rewarding. Our specialists work in teams and receive strong support from their supervisors... More

"YV- Indiana"

Current Employee - Family Intervention Specialist
    Current Employee - Family Intervention Specialist

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Youth Villages allows individuals to do home based therapy with a diverse population. I have been able to make my own schedule with my clients, work from home with the laptop that was provided to me, continuously call on my supervisor when I needed her, and strengthen my skills as a social worker. Youth Villages does pay a sign-on bonus, reimbursement for licensure exams and tuition, offers group supervision, and individual leadership development. There are many career advancement opportunities after you've worked 6 months and if you like to travel the company is in multiple different states and is always looking to expand. There are many programs to pick from and lots of training opportunities to develop your leadership skills. Benefits are great.

Cons

Particularly to my position it has been difficult to deal with an on-call system that works you around once a month and you're covering multiple offices that could be an hour to two hours away from your location. YV has been working on doing on-call for just the office you work in and in some states like Tennessee, on-call is through a different provider so you can enjoy your weekends and nights. It can be hard to balance your own week of clients on top of on-call throughout the night. But you are supported by a regional supervisor and a on-call supervisor. Work life balance is difficult if you cannot stay organized or learn how to take notes quickly and efficiently. There is quite a bit of paperwork and timelines to be held. If you stay organized than you'll be fine but there will be nights you have to take time to catch up. Salary is lower than I wanted.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to make sure employees self-care is taken care of and priority to lower turn over rate. Also making sure that expectations are clear and training is clear and prioritized.

9. "LifeSet Specialist"

Current Employee - LifeSet Specialist in Boone, NC
    Current Employee - LifeSet Specialist in Boone, NC

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, reimbursement, and health benefits.

Cons

There is a lot of driving.

10. "Youth Villages Indiana 1Team 1 Dream"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jasper, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jasper, IN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Youth Villages continues to stand out above the rest as we do what we say we will do! The Support from Leadership is amazing! YV works hard to build a supportive work environment and assists staff having a better work/life balance. The main goal is truly the mission statement; to help children and families live successfully! Instead of labeling youths and families; YV believes that Kids and families do well if they can and if they are not able to, that something is in their way and it is our job to assist them.

Cons

The job is intense yet extremely rewarding.