Youth Villages Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is definitely a challenge in this field (in 57 reviews)

• The extremely high turnover rate means you are perpetually understaffed (in 28 reviews)

"Hard work, Be prepared"

Current Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home. Laptop provided, Mileage reimbursement

Cons

LONG hours. Not but a week ago I worked a 17 hour day due to a family in crisis. We are not compensated financially for overtime work. For me, it has been very hard to find work/life balance. My new car has a large number of miles due to the fact I am driving around the city in order to see the families on my caseload.

Advice to Management

Praise your staff. In my experience, praise has been followed by a "but this should have been done.." This job is stressful. It is nice to be recognized for our hard work.

Jul 13, 2017 – Youth Villages

Helping troubled children and families through intensive in-home services is not an easy job. But, it can be so rewarding, and it is one of the only ways to help a child achieve long-term success... More

2. "Counselor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

I worked at Youth Villages (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and some of the co/workers are helpful

Cons

The driving is insane and the Worcester supervisors need to grow up, and stop picking favorites everyone working hard be fair be a leader.

Advice to Management

Supervisor supposed to be leaders not followers

"Youth Villages rarely helps children"

Former Employee - Assistant Director
    Former Employee - Assistant Director

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great coworkers who sincerely care about the well being and treatment of children. There are a few competent people at the management and director level. It can be a fun place to work if you form good relationships with coworkers.

Cons

Youth Villages rarely helps children succeed. They have archaic practices that often times harm children (seclusion rooms, etc.). They make decisions based on monetary gain and completely disregard what's best for the children they serve. They do not value their employees. While Pat Lawler makes around $500,000 a year, their lowest paid employees (who often times are doing the hardest work with kids) do not even make a living wage. It's like an old boys club. They promote people who are wildly unqualified and as a result have many people in upper management who are not capable of leading such a large agency. They are not very tolerant of the LGBTQ community (staff or children) and people of color are rarely promoted. They pour a ton of money into marketing and Life Set but don't invest in other programs. As a result children are rarely best served by Youth Villages. I would not feel safe leaving my own child at one of their residential treatment facilities. They adopt models (CPS) that have little to no published research and implement them poorly. Staff are undertrained and underpaid.

Advice to Management

Pay front line staff more money, give campuses more autonomy to make decisions, employ practices that actually show you value employees, make decisions based on what's best for children, drop CPS it's not a good group care model and is too difficult to train employees

Jun 23, 2017 – Youth Villages

We take these comments very seriously and your concerns have been sent along to leadership. Youth Villages is an Equal Opportunity Employer that works hard to develop leaders and promote from within... More

4. "Overall satisfied in my current position."

Current Employee - Coordinator in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility is great. Enjoyable and comfortable work environment. For the most part, invests and values its employees. 4 out of 5 stars!

Cons

Salaries are way below market value and colleagues at other agencies and institutions. In my opinion, organization has "traditional" approach

"Ok"

Current Employee - CNA in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - CNA in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Youth Villages part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Have hours available and over time

Cons

No stability needs new management and new employees

Advice to Management

Need new management

"Work from home;Exciting job for counselors; consistent shifts;"

Current Employee - Specialized Crisis Counselor in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Specialized Crisis Counselor in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent for non profit!! You get paid .42 cents to the mile which is awesome! Fun and supportive staff! You work independently but with a team vibe. You really do affect families not just the youths, very rewarding!!

Cons

It can be exhausting if you are not great at self care; You do a lot of advocating for youths so that can become tiring bc you face a lot of barriers...

May 16, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thank you for your feedback! We're a fan of the team vibe, too!

7. "Overseer of in-home services"

Former Employee - Regional Supervisor in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Regional Supervisor in Memphis, TN

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the positions offer a lot of flexibility and working with children and families is rewarding. Each day is different and there's always something to learn.

Cons

Due to the nature of the work, work-life balance can low to non-existent. Juggling on-call with critical incidents can be difficult.

May 12, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thank you for your feedback. We're working hard to help our frontline staff achieve a good work/life balance. We're using technology to cut paperwork time and giving specialists more flexibility to... More

"Director of Leadership Development"

Current Employee - Director, Leadership Development in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Director, Leadership Development in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- People are fully invested in the mission to help children & families live successfully at all levels of the organization.

-The company offers world-class training & development to all staff.

-Tuition & licensure reimbursement

- Great Benefits (health coverage, holidays, etc.)

- Family friendly work environment

Cons

- Staff that work directly one on one with children and their families may be required to work long hours because the work we do does not fit into a standard 9-5 position.

Advice to Management

- Continue to send your staff through professional development and invest your time into them.

- Always work on ways to "get better" and be a great example and model to those working in your program.

"Youth counselor"

Former Employee - Teacher Counselor in Arlington, MA
    Former Employee - Teacher Counselor in Arlington, MA

I worked at Youth Villages part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sometimes the girls were fun to work with. But sometimes they were a little tough to handle, but overall the girls were the only pros

Cons

This job was probably the worst job of my life, and I had quite a few. Very long hours, you expected to stay late (until 1.2.3 am etc ) when you only scheduled till "11". So basically rather than 13 hr work day it's a 16-17 hr work day With NO breaks. None whatsoever. Is that even legal? If a night monitor called in sick and they didn't have anybody else to come in MOD made one of us had to work the night which will make it almost 24 hrs. HOW IS THAT EVEVN LEGAL. Most of your Coworkers were rude and didn't really care about you. If a kid needed to be picked up and it's an hour away 12 midnight they will ask the "newer" employee to pick them up and doesn't care if you agree with it or not. The food was nasty worse then school lunches I had back in elementary and the children and the staff were expected to eat it. That isn't okay. YC are VERY under paired in regards the amount of stuff we go through, long hours and No breaks at all. I have a degree in psychology and I had a passion to work in this field. But after Working at youth village, I never want to work in this field again and I'm in currently in nursing school.

Advice to Management

CARE ABOUT THE COWORKERS. They work long long hours and little pay. I sometimes feel bad for these people who still go through this everyday.

Jun 20, 2017 – Youth Villages

The work we do with children and adolescents is extremely challenging and, at times, unpredictable, but we are committed to our employees as much as we are to our kids and families. We take all... More

10. "The manure on the other side stinks as much as it does on this side!"

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time

Pros

No company or organization is perfect, but the passion and desire that is behind the leadership of Youth Villages to provide whatever services needed to kids and families doesn't come close to any other organization. The grass is not always greener on the other side as a lot of individuals have found out. Individuals have to learn to adapt and adjust to stressers of the job regardless of where they work.

Cons

An employees experience at Youth Villages rests solely on the staff members direct supervisor. It is unfortunate that all of the supervisors across the organization do not have the same approach to staff morale; being mentally, physically, and emotionally supportive; encouraging, promoting, and putting into practice the ability for staff to have a better work/life balance; and just overall care and respect for the individuals that work for them. I have been very fortunate to have amazing supervisors.

Advice to Management

Balance business and clinical best practice better at the individual program levels.

May 12, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thank you for your feedback. We believe it smells like roses around here! :) So glad you are having a good experience building a career at Youth Villages. Every supervisor is at various stages in... More