KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Youth Villages Employee Reviews about "children and families"

Updated May 18, 2021

Found 29 of over 727 reviews

3.3
Youth Villages CEO Patrick Lawler
Patrick Lawler
Pros
  • "Youth Villages is a big company with great career opportunities(in 45 reviews)

• "Chance to work to help children and families(in 29 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The flexible hours can make work/life balance a challenge(in 100 reviews)

• "Long hours, no structure, short on staff(in 58 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    Talk anonymously with Healthcare professionals

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Youth Villages and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "children and families"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Place to Work!

May 18, 2021 - Clinical Supervisor in Raynham, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Competitive Salary - Culture of the office - Supportive environment - Opportunity for Growth - Cell phone/Mileage compensation - Having an impact on children and families - Constant direction with treatment from leadership

Cons

- Work/Life balance - On call system needs revamping - Benefits

Youth Villages

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a thoughtful review about your experience working at Youth Villages. During the hiring process, we aim to be very transparent about the non-traditional hours and scheduling that is required for many of our positions. Employees enjoy the flexibility of working with company-issued laptops and creating their own meeting schedules, but it does require time management skills. We understand our line of work may require extra time, particularly if a child or family is in crisis. The work required at times can be demanding, but hopefully fulfilling and beneficial to all involved. Please reach out to us to share any additional feedback at feedback@youthvillages.org.

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Great entry to recruiting

Apr 8, 2021 - Residential Coordinator in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Chance to work to help children and families

Cons

Low salary and hard to maintain work life balance.

Youth Villages

Thank you for your feedback! We have worked to ensure that every frontline employee who works directly with youth receives reasonable, competitive compensation. (All Youth Villages full-time positions begin at least at $15 an hour.) We also offer a competitive benefits package that rivals that of many for-profit companies. The continuing enhancement of salary and benefits is at the forefront of our CEO’s priorities in every location that we serve. Please reach out to us to share any additional feedback at feedback@youthvillages.org.

3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

RUN

Jun 10, 2020 - Counselor in Knoxville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

working with children and families

Cons

literally everything!! poor management, no work life balance, being lied to.

Youth Villages

Thank you for your feedback. We'd like to learn more about your experience working with us. Please email us at feedback@youthvillages.org.

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great non-profit

Jul 3, 2019 - MSt Supervisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Youth Villages is truly an innovator in their field. It provides the opportunity to truly give back to your community and improve the lives of children and families. They invest in their employees and provide a lot of room for growth and advancement.

Cons

Work life balance is hard because many direct line staff positions are on call 24 hours a day, 5 days a week. They did rotate weekend on call. As a supervisor, I was on call 24/7 and often responded both by phone and in person. If you’re not part of a TN office, it’s easy to feel forgotten.

Youth Villages

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you are overall happy with your experience. We do work hard to maintain a good life/work balance for all Youth Villages colleagues but we know the family's needs can be demanding at times. We appreciate also your feedback regarding states outside of Tennessee, and we are working to improve connectedness across the board. Thank you for the work you did!

5. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great potential still needs work.

Oct 14, 2017 - Family Intervention Specialist in Middle Valley, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working with children and families, great co-workers, benefits, vacation and sick time. Plenty of opportunity for growth and development, and tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Inconsistent demands from leadership, unclear on when work day begins and when it ends, low autonomy, not as flexible as advertised, unrealistic expectations.

3 people found this review helpful

Youth Villages

Thanks for your comments. They've been heard by top leaders. We're so glad that you see all the positives in your job. You make a difference in people's lives! We provide competitive benefits and support career growth. We will continue to look at assigning cases in a way that accommodates families and works for specialists.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

professional workplace making a real difference

Aug 17, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Youth Villages is making a real difference in the lives of children and families through implementing evidence based practices and achieving the highest of outcomes with tough family situations. The workplace is a professional, friendly atmosphere, and you leave work every day knowing you've made an impact.

Cons

Front-line work with youth and families is challenging, but it is rewarding and great work experience.

Youth Villages

Thank you for your feedback! And your work at Youth Villages!

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Youth Villages Indiana 1Team 1 Dream

Jul 13, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Jasper, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Youth Villages continues to stand out above the rest as we do what we say we will do! The Support from Leadership is amazing! YV works hard to build a supportive work environment and assists staff having a better work/life balance. The main goal is truly the mission statement; to help children and families live successfully! Instead of labeling youths and families; YV believes that Kids and families do well if they can and if they are not able to, that something is in their way and it is our job to assist them.

Cons

The job is intense yet extremely rewarding.

8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Overseer of in-home services

May 8, 2017 - Regional Supervisor in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most of the positions offer a lot of flexibility and working with children and families is rewarding. Each day is different and there's always something to learn.

Cons

Due to the nature of the work, work-life balance can low to non-existent. Juggling on-call with critical incidents can be difficult.

Youth Villages

Thank you for your feedback. We're working hard to help our frontline staff achieve a good work/life balance. We're using technology to cut paperwork time and giving specialists more flexibility to work in the field. It's making a difference for our staff while they make a difference for vulnerable children and families.

9. 2.0
      Former Employee

Intercept

Oct 25, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The children and families only.

Cons

There are STRONG ethical dilemmas in New England. Internal paperwork and documentation supersede the human component of this work. They care more about what's written than what is done, and will pull you away from families in need to get documentation in. They have clear bias in leadership which lead to incompetent people being promoted. They do not follow their own guidelines. They would rather disrupt a family and their progress to best serve themselves. They treat their FIS' as minions who are expected to say "how high" when they say jump. There is complete hypocrisy in leadership, high turn over's in NH specifically, low supports, and not enough accountability.

4 people found this review helpful

Youth Villages

We are sorry to hear that you felt a lack of support during your time with us. We can assure you that our leadership has been informed of your concerns and are reviewing them. We’ve recently taken several steps to help our specialists effectively handle paperwork. All frontline staff in home and community-based programs are receiving laptop hybrids so they can complete documentation – and even attend meetings – on the go. It’s dramatically reducing work hours and improving everyone’s work/life balance.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee

Good and Bad

May 24, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours, high support, high teamwork, working to change the lives of children and families

Cons

High stress, little recognition, low pay, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

1 person found this review helpful

Youth Villages

Thanks for your comments! I’m excited to read you feel supported by your team, feel like you’re making a difference for children and families, and that you like the schedule. I’m sorry the job is also stressful and that you do not feel recognized for the hard work you do. We’ve been able to make some salary adjustments recently in some areas, and we’re rolling out tablets with apps to handle case documentation in the field. We’re hoping this will make a difference for our community-based staff. Please make sure you bring specific recommendations to the attention of your local leadership, contact our CEO (he always asks for feedback in his monthly emails) or send your feedback to HR at feedback@youthvillages.org. Your comments will be handled confidentially. Thanks again for your review, and I hope you’ll continue to enjoy working at Youth Villages for many years to come! Thanks for all you do helping children and families!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 29 Reviews