KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Youth Villages Employee Reviews about "licensure"

Updated Feb 24, 2020

Found 24 of over 723 reviews

3.3
Youth Villages CEO Patrick Lawler
Patrick Lawler
Pros
  • "It provides the opportunity to truly give back to your community and improve the lives of children and families(in 27 reviews)

• "I am currently seeking licensure with support from YV(in 24 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Difficult maintaining a work-life balance(in 85 reviews)

• "Long hours, mandatory transports on off days(in 53 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    Talk anonymously with Healthcare professionals

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Youth Villages and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "licensure"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Administrative work supporting the residential counselor

Jul 25, 2018 - Clinical Liaison in Bartlett, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Chances for growth, providing supervision for licensure, helping disadvantaged youth in the Foster Care system

Cons

Working with a Difficult population

2. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

lack of work life balance

Feb 24, 2020 - LifeSet Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

adequate PTO and sick leave, supportive supervisors, licensure supervision available

Cons

lack of work-life balance, lack of training for DCS program, no overtime and consistently work 45-55 hours a week

Youth Villages

Thank you for sharing your feedback. The work required at times can be demanding but hopefully fulfilling and beneficial to all involved, including our colleagues and families we serve as we work to help children we serve return home to their families. If you'd like to share additional feedback, please contact us at feedback@youthvillages.org.

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Will achieve a lot of counseling and case management experience. Work-life balance extremely difficult to achieve.

Sep 28, 2014 - MST Family Counselor in Durham, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

The experience you gain in family counseling and multi-systemic therapy. High level of supervision and training. Ability to work from home. Mileage reimbursement. Ability to obtain supervision for licensure. Team-oriented work atmosphere in the office. Staff make every effort to make new employees feel welcome. Recognition given for hard work. Encouraged to use free Dragon Software to reduce time it takes to document your sessions by using voice recorder.

Cons

Mounds of paperwork with strict deadlines and constant reminders from supervisor. If you like routine, you will not enjoy this position. Very stressful, many demands and not enough time to complete it all. On-call to your cases 24 hours per day/5 day work week for crisis management. On-call weekend rotation to all family counselors' cases starting 5pm on Friday to 8am on Monday. Must stay with company for every year you received supervision for licensure or wind up paying them back for supervision hours. Little pay for high volume of work. High employee turnover. Difficult to take vacation days around the holidays. Often driving long distances to see families and go to trainings. Lack of work-life boundaries. Most people who stay have no time for a life outside of work (these people are usually single, living alone in Durham/Raleigh, don't have kids, straight out of college).

6 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Hardest job I have ever loved

Feb 3, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

In my experience leadership are very supportive toward staff. Every supervisor I have had since joining YV has treated me with respect and as a peer rather than as a subordinate. They have encouraged my development as a clinician and as a leader. I feel valued and heard more now than in any prior professional setting. I appreciate the way the company invests in staff success. For example, I was able to complete my second Master's degree through the tuition reimbursement offered by Youth Villages. I am currently seeking licensure with support from YV. The multi-level clinical supervision structure ensures strong accountability and enables staff to serve youth and families with confidence. I appreciate Youth Villages' mission and values and how those are reflected in the work that we do daily. Helping youth and families to live successfully can be challenging but also quite rewarding.

Cons

The work we do is very demanding with regard to time and energy. Work life balance is definitely a challenge in this field. The rewards don't necessarily come in the form of financial compensation. Working in community based programs has put a lot of miles on my vehicles.

3 people found this review helpful

Youth Villages

Thank you for this feedback! It's demanding work, but we're so pleased to be able to help specialist advance in their careers by earning master's degrees and attaining licensure! Congratulations!

5. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good Company... but sometimes you feel overworked and underpaid

Aug 3, 2014 - Clinical Supervisor in Miami, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the families that you get to work with make you smile when you are able to see the progress that they have made. Lots and Lots of training. This company wants to make sure that you know what your doing while your out in the community working with families. Company also pays for your licensure, and school if your willing to stay with them for a minimum of 2 years after completion. Supervisors go above and beyond to help out when they can and they are not being overworked.

Cons

Leadership seems cliquey, and often states that they want to be transparent, but display the exact opposite. Although there are step increases offered depending on which location your work at, office politics sometimes makes them not even seem worth it. You are at times expected to perform at a level that you cannot manage or maintain long term due to the amount of paperwork and the long drive times. Doesn't seem like the Supervisors get much support from upper management. Things happen often in a disorganized manner which adds to the high turn-over. Seems like at least 2-4 people are leaving a month out of a significantly small office, which causes the case loads of those left to increase.

6. 5.0

Family Intervention Specialist

Feb 6, 2017 - Family Intervention Specialist in Jasper, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

The case load is manageable, the co-workers are amazing, and you CANNOT beat the level of support that you receive from all levels of your supervision. There are tons of benefits including tuition reimbursement for continuing education, paid licensure classes and supervision, and it qualifies you to have your student loans forgiven after 10 years. Along with that the mileage is quite a nice check to receive once a month (and it isn't taxed!). Overall for me it is much more than the benefits or the money, this is a company that takes care of it's employees despite being so large!

Cons

The hours can be erratic, to say the least. You stay under 40 hours, but it is not reasonable to believe you'll be working 9-5. My hours are generally 11-7.

Youth Villages

Thank you so much for your feedback! And everything you do to help children and families in Indiana! Love to hear about specialists using our tuition reimbursement and free licensure support to achieve their career goals!

7. 4.0
      Current Employee

not for everyone

Feb 27, 2011 - Overnight Teacher Counselor in Linden, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

awesome benefits, part time college and licensure paid for by company, great company to work for if you can deal with the kids (not everyone can)

Cons

understaffed, overworked, underpaid, campuses are is in the middle of nowhere and few people want to work an hour from civilization

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Director of Leadership Development

May 3, 2017 - Director, Leadership Development in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

- People are fully invested in the mission to help children & families live successfully at all levels of the organization. -The company offers world-class training & development to all staff. -Tuition & licensure reimbursement - Great Benefits (health coverage, holidays, etc.) - Family friendly work environment

Cons

- Staff that work directly one on one with children and their families may be required to work long hours because the work we do does not fit into a standard 9-5 position.

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Hard work but I'm grateful that I work here.

Jan 12, 2016 - Regional Manager in Madison, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

In my review title I put that I'm grateful to work at Youth Villages. I truly am grateful for my employment here. First, I DO have a manager that cares about her employees. She listens and looks for ways that has positive impacts for direct staff as well as the families that we work with. I also started off as an entry level staff and was able to work my way up. I'm glad that Youth Villages promotes from within. I feel like that's a value that this company promotes to show that they see staff as important and as knowledgeable. I was able to obtain my masters and my licensure due to the educational benefits. I was also able to move closer to my family due to the relocation opportunities. I BELIEVE in the work that we do because it is research based and because we receive a lot of national recognition (all the way up to the White House!). Also, I've received a huge amount of leadership training while at Youth Villages. I really value this because I'm not sure if other non-profits in the behavioral health field place importance or resources on this. The benefits are very competitive.

Cons

Honestly, this is difficult work but I feel like all jobs in this field are challenging. In the social services field you're going to see some consistent challenges no matter which company you work with. At Youth Villages one of our values is "We do what we say we're going to do". Part of what we say we're going to do is deliver effective services which means that myself and my teams work very hard to ensure that families are safe 24/7. Again, we work hard but management does ask staff for feedback for ideas for improvement as well as look for ways to help with balancing the work.

10. 3.0

Residential Counsellr

Aug 8, 2015 - Residential Counselor in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Specialized training such as TF-CBT and PSB. High levels of supervision and assistance in licensure. Hish levels of professional development and opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Unrealistic agency demands from both DCS and Youth Villages. YV tends to be reactionary instead of proactive. Instead of being an angency of change, it has become a part of the problem. Redundant paperwork, redundant meetings and poor communication between corporate and counsellors.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 24 Reviews