Youth for Understanding Reviews | Glassdoor

Youth for Understanding Reviews

Updated Sep 23, 2019

Found 42 reviews

3.3
Youth for Understanding CEO Michael Hill (no image)
Michael Hill
Pros
  • "Very good contact with the Field Director and the other managers in YFU(in 5 reviews)

• "Great people with a ton of talent(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "I enjoyed the work I did at YFU(in 12 reviews)

• "As a Field Director, the only con would be the extreme overtime that you put tv in every summer to assure everyone finds has a home go to(in 4 reviews)

1. "I had a wonderful experience working as a Firld Director for YFU USA!"

Field Director

I worked at Youth for Understanding for more than 3 years

Pros

One of the greatest benefits is to be given the opportunity to make a real positive impact on teenagers all over the world. Many of these youth will end up being leaders in the near future and we are giving them a taste of what living globally is all about.

Cons

As a Field Director, the only con would be the extreme overtime that you put tv in every summer to assure everyone finds has a home go to.

Advice to Management

Offer as much support as possible prior to these placement seasons and then support staff need to continue to support Field Director's until placement goals are met.

Youth for Understanding2018-09-18
  2. "Nonstop budget cuts and staff restructuring"

Current Employee - Administration in Washington, DC

I have been working at Youth for Understanding full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co-workers are very mission-driven and care about the work they do. Great internship opportunities.

Cons

Constant fear of losing your job. Leadership thinks they are transparent but major decisions are made in a bubble (without staff input)

Youth for Understanding2019-09-23
  3. "Good experience with good management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Youth for Understanding full-time for more than a year

Pros

My time at the company was great. The staff was friendly and the work environment was a healthy one despite it being NPO.

Cons

Lots of sudden changes in leadership and a change in the way to process and proceed with applications. Became more as looking at them as a number and not as them as a person to help them find the best fitting option for them.

Youth for Understanding2019-03-26

"Wonderful but financially not stable"

Former Employee - SSM in Saint Michael, MN

I worked at Youth for Understanding full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home Wonderful team Travel opportunities Absolute joy to work with students in exchange Great experience working with other countries

Cons

Financially unstable Multiple lay offs Laid off completely out of the blue. I was not given any warning or communication that this was even a possibility.

Advice to Management

Better communication

Youth for Understanding2018-01-16

"So Much Uncertainty"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Youth for Understanding full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great mission, exciting programs, wonderful families to work with, big and convenient (current) office in downtown DC

Cons

Very poor communication between departments and lack of transparency from executives make for uncertainty at almost every corner. Decent amount of turnover from entry to mid-level employees as there is very, very little room for growth and lack of respect from particular executives who have been in their positions for a long time.

Advice to Management

Don't treat your lower level employees as if they are disposable, and reward those who go the extra mile. Let employees know what's going on at the decision making table.

Youth for Understanding2017-11-28

"Good Experience"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Youth for Understanding full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good for people interested in study abroad, you can learn a lot

Cons

Limited room for growth, not an exciting environment, men are at the top and women are at the bottom

Advice to Management

Create more incentives for good performance

Youth for Understanding2017-10-21
  7. "Working at YFU"

New Initiative Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Youth for Understanding for less than a year

Pros

Amazing People. Very open to new ideas Great work culture Driven by a social cause

Cons

Work responsibility is not distributed right, either too many People working on a small Project or few People working on big Projects.

Advice to Management

You are doing a great Job. Keep up the good work

Youth for Understanding2017-04-13
  8. "Good summer internship"

Summer Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Youth for Understanding for less than a year

Pros

- Friendly staff - Awesome office and location! - Great mission - As far as the internship programs go, it was well organized and the managers really tried involve us and make it fun

Cons

- Sometimes the work can get a bit monotonous (especially the calling and emailing), try switching these throughout the day to make this better - They assign you a lot of "intern tasks" like putting together packages or letters for the students/ volunteers but I guess that is to be expected

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I personally loved the seminars you held for the interns. They were super interesting and they helped me learn more about the industry and see the big picture of the work we were doing everyday. More of these would be great.

Youth for Understanding2016-10-19
  9. "Good for early career professionals"

I worked at Youth for Understanding

Pros

Organization with a great mission and dedicated staff. Good for entry level career-starters looking to learn about international exchange.

Cons

Little room for promotion and increasing responsibility leads to high rates of turnover in some divisions.

Youth for Understanding2016-08-23
  10. "Michigan Location is Amazing!"

I worked at Youth for Understanding part-time

Pros

One of the best places I've ever worked! Super nice team that is really dedicated to what they do. I only worked over the phone with the DC office, but everyone is incredibly nice.

Cons

IT could use some help but that goes for a lot of companies

Youth for Understanding2016-06-28