Yowza Animation Reviews | Glassdoor

Yowza Animation Owner and Producer Heather Walker
Heather Walker

"Reality check"

I have been working at Yowza Animation full-time

Pros

Great looking show and decent location.

Cons

The reason I decided to write this review is the infuriating review bashing any criticism and denying that anything is wrong with the company. This was without a doubt written by the management / family and only illustrates their level of delusion. I have worked for many studios over the years and am no stranger to crunch-times, but when crunch-time becomes the norm then it's time for reflection. Considering a crazy schedule, extreme stress, mandatory unpaid overtime and no time for social life "normal" is very, very, very sad and speaks volumes about the reviewer.

Advice to Management

"A bad boss can take a good staff and destroy it, causing the best employees to flee and the remainder to lose all motivation." The high turnover among your senior staff should be a hint.

Yowza Animation2017-02-09

"It was decent"

Current Contractor - 2D Animator in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Yowza Animation for less than a year

Pros

A lot of talented and smart people. Good workplace. You'll be dealing with some of the best supervisors and leads in your department.

Cons

Lot of nepotism from what I can remember. I remembered time management was incredibly chaotic and episodes would either be behind schedule or animators would struggle to finish heavy work loads because of that. Seems people have their own cliques as well, and you just feel like, if you're not part of a clique, you're bound to not be talking to anyone during your employment there.

Advice to Management

Make it an environment where everyone is welcomed and appreciated for their work. Don't hire incompetent (or unqualified) people.

Yowza Animation2019-06-12
  3. "Great place for learning."

Current Contractor - Layout Artist in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Yowza Animation for less than a year

Pros

Big-name clients and challenging projects are good for skill and resume building.

Cons

Relatively low pay and can be disorganized.

Yowza Animation2019-06-03
  4. "Fun team and great environment"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Yowza Animation

Pros

Fun staff, decent pay, opportunities to learn

Cons

Not enough work and future projects available

Yowza Animation2018-11-23

"layout artist"

I have been working at Yowza Animation full-time for less than a year

Pros

nice work environment and great people to work with

Cons

low wage compared to what I provide them

Yowza Animation2017-06-16

"Some good, some not-so-good"

I have been working at Yowza Animation full-time

Pros

- great people and inspiring artists! - the project is really good

Cons

- asset management and organization is pretty lackluster. This causes redundancies, mis-communication and the lack of communication. - constant crunch-times -the lack of job descriptions unfortunately allows for some people to get too much dumped on them that isn't their responsibility.

Advice to Management

I agree with a lot of the reviews on here. This studio CAN be a great and inspiring place to work, but I think the problems with this project(re: organization) have accumulated to the point where it isn't living to it's potential

Yowza Animation2017-03-17

"Designer"

Former Contractor - Designer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Yowza Animation for more than a year

Pros

There are many nice people that work here. I enjoyed my time here minus the politics. There is benefits offered.

Cons

Terrible management, what can I say? Do not go here, it's a trap. There are lies based on lies. Don't be fooled.

Advice to Management

Be honest and transparent.

Yowza Animation2017-04-20

""Every studio has problems," but why don't we fix them"

I have been working at Yowza Animation full-time

Pros

• strong effort to try and maintain a positive workspace • amazing project • good sense of workplace community • cool office • opt-in benefits

Cons

• everyone i've spoken to is underpaid, even by toronto standards • unpaid overtime/overworked employees • chaotic environment with regards to deadlines and where efforts are being focused • nepotism/favouritism. the nepotism is blatant but the favoritism is concerning, certain people being able act however they please with no consequence while others are treated poorly and face consequences for reasonable requests (fair pay, etc) • despite their efforts to seem open, upper management is intimidating and difficult to talk to

Advice to Management

Follow up on your vocal commitments to make this studio as good as it can be. This is a great studio, but as harsh as the cons listed in all the reviews are, they also aren't wrong. Listen to what your employees are telling you. This studio has the potential to be the best in the city, don't let poor management and unscrupulous business practices continue and cause people to see the studio as untrustworthy.

"Young studio"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Yowza Animation full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Open friendly environment -Opinions are listined to -Everyone works hard for the betterment of the project -Overall I find it a great place to work

Cons

There are a few cases where management, in my opinion needs to refocus and find the right person for the job.

Advice to Management

Spend the money in the right place on the right people, this will allow certain aspects of the company to run more smoothly and to avoid some of the other reviews concerns.

Yowza Animation2017-02-17

"One of the best studio I have worked for"

I have been working at Yowza Animation full-time

Pros

Amazing feature Quality show that is demanding that seperates the cream from the crop Great people to work with that are always willing to lend a hand Management is really trying hard to make this studio one of the best in Toronto Great opportunity for talented and ambitious people to grow I have worked in animation for various studios and never found a studio that treated its employees more like family than Yowza giving us paid Vacation over winter break and benefits. Heather is considerate and compassionate. I think some people that wrote the previous negative reviews don't really know how bad an animation studio can really be.

Cons

Some chaos caused by such a demanding show The amount of work sometimes can be overwhelming

Advice to Management

Please request a larger budget to hire more staff in general.

Found 17 reviews