Yum! Reviews | Glassdoor

Yum! Reviews

Updated May 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Heavy workload and little work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Low standards, people are not held accountable, long hours with no break (in 6 reviews)

1. "Outstanding organisation"

Former Employee - Training Manager in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Training Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at Yum! full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will spent one of the best days of your career here

Cons

Too much of freedom. ......... .... ...... ...... ........... ..... ...... ..... ...... ..... ..... .....

2. "Yum brands"

Current Employee - Market Research Analyst in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Market Research Analyst in Orange, CA

I have been working at Yum! full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice work environment, nice people, good policies, good global company name on your resume...

Cons

Below average salary, extra payed work hours, very little holidays

"Multiple Above-Store"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Yum! full-time

Pros

Has the veneer of a quality culture, particularly when the business is performing well. Compensation is decent for a given level or position. International assignments a big plus (though highly disorganized and varies dramatically by position/location).

Cons

Highly political environment in which advancement seems little correlated with actual production or skill. You will go nowhere here without a powerful advocate well above your station. And given the high amount of turnover, your advocate may not be there for long. Putting these issues aside, I definitely wouldn't recommend given the state of the business and very real possibility of large-scale restructuring in the near future.

Advice to Management

1) Stay clear and consistent with your strategy: most of us have no clue what our strategy is beyond a pretty power point deck.
    2) Retain/hire talent that knows the restaurant business. Far too many 'great pedigree' personnel here that know little about the business and yet still see rapid advancement.
    3) Avoid favoritism and the chummy good 'ole boy network. This issue is closely connected to the above and is the cause of significant turnover.
    4) Be honest and truthful with employees: if the business is performing poorly, avoid blow smoke up our collective butts by talking about 'all the great work' happening or how 'optimistic' you are about the future. Understand, of course, the need to maintain morale and keep employees motivated, but this ends up backfiring when the messaging runs so counter to the obvious consistent results the business is producing and causes employees to mistrust management. Furthermore, have honest conversations with employees about career potential and give actionable development plans required to advance in the organization. This is a BIG issue for many employees: we are planning out our careers and want to know we aren't being mislead. And most of us believe we are.

5. "Area Coach"

Current Employee - Area Coach in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Area Coach in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Yum! full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

YUM! Brands truly cares about its people and about relationship building. There is a great amount of growth opportunity both in the field and at the support center. They offer a great benefits package. Best company that I have worked for.

Cons

You must like working with people and food! It is fast paced with tight labor restrictions.

Advice to Management

Continue to find ways to make the job more efficient to do with fewer employees.

6. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Manager of Finance in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Manager of Finance in Louisville, KY

Pros

Great culture; really care about its employees

Cons

Most of the growth is outside the U.S. jobs in the U.S. are being eliminated as the company moves towards a refranchised model.

7. "DBA"

Current Employee - Mid-level Database Administrative in Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Mid-level Database Administrative in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Yum! part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Organization, Offer multiple benefits.

Cons

might have to later than normal schedule.

8. "Application Technologist"

Former Employee - Senior Applications Technologist in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Technologist in Louisville, KY

I worked at Yum! full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing culture and work/life balance

Cons

While I was given opportunities for growth (in the form of training, conferences, challenging work, etc),, not a lot of upward mobility for technical positions unless you wanted to become a manager.

9. "international brand"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Yum! (Less than a year)

Pros

room and opportunity for growth

Cons

must be employed for a long time before being promoted

Advice to Management

listen to the people that work for you

"Executive Assistant"

Former Employee - Senior Executive Assistant in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Senior Executive Assistant in Louisville, KY

I worked at Yum! full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has great compensation including annual bonus. Sign on bonus as well. Coworkers were nice. Brand restaurants in the employee cafe.

Cons

No real vacations because they call you every day. No work/life balance. Executive team unrealistic in demands on employees. They spend weeks working from their second homes but don't want anyone else taking time off. If you do take "vacation" be prepared to have them bring it up in your annual review. Pay is good but by the time you work the extra hours and have no life outside of work, it isn't worth it.

Advice to Management

Try actually walking the talk. Employees don't need to work 24/7. Not everything is an emergency.

"General Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - General Manager in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Yum! full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being able to work with junior managers to develop them. Creating a great culture for the team, and an atmosphere they were proud to go to.

Cons

Had to commute 95 miles a day to a new location (without options). Worked twelve hour days, had no quality of life, got ill. DMA leaders do not help, and when things go bad they just point fingers.

Advice to Management

AC's and DMA leaders need to be more proactive and help the GM's rather than passing blame, but not willing to do anything themselves to make the situation better.