Yum! Reviews | Glassdoor

Yum! Reviews

Updated May 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Heavy workload and little work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Low standards, people are not held accountable, long hours with no break (in 6 reviews)

1. "Tough quality of life in Food"

Former Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Saint Charles, MO
    Former Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Saint Charles, MO

I worked at Yum! full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and for food service decent hours

Cons

Lots of nights and weekends. Shrinking margins means less labor dollars so you must do more with less yearly.

Advice to Management

You must simplify operations to continue to reduce the labor allotment.

2. "I had a very positive experience at yum."

Former Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Yum! full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big focus on development and teamwork. Achievable goals were always present.

Cons

It is a 50 hour work week.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work on focusing on development of teams.

3. "Good experience! But management needs improvement!"

Former Employee - Shift Lead in Colfax, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Lead in Colfax, CA

I worked at Yum! full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At the location I was at, my co-workers are the reason I stayed so long. It was a "home" atmosphere.
    It is easy to move up in the company.

Cons

Management needs to get a handle on things. I was a shift lead, because of their dis-organization, I now decline any offer as a management position.

Advice to Management

Taco bill needs people who actually care about what happens with the company, as well as their employees.

5. "Area Coach"

Former Employee - Senior District Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Senior District Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Yum! full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Company!! would love to work for them again!! thumbs up, great experience would recommend to anyone who want to see excellence!!

Cons

None, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none

Advice to Management

Keep Doing what you do!!!

6. "General Manager for Taco Bell"

Current Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Kenosha, WI
    Current Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at Yum! full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good team, good pay, interact with customers. Free food and drink, stock bonus

Cons

Lots of hours, you have no life since the restaurant opens at 6am and closes at 5 am, you're on call 24/7 as a General Manager

"Company culture and work environment is going down hill, no sign of improving."

Former Employee - Senior, Applications Developer/Technologist in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Senior, Applications Developer/Technologist in Louisville, KY

I worked at Yum! full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work life balance is the job's biggest perks. Hours may be long during certain projects but no one is standing by the door to make sure you are in by 8.

Cons

The company culture has changed dramatically since I first worked there. This was once one of the best places to work in Louisville and I use to recommend it, during the last years of my employment, it slowly started to gain a body shop feel. Recruiting any talent or hiring interns full time became difficult since no one wanted to work there.

The pay and benefits are not great, while not bottom of the barrel bad, you can find the same job (IT jobs) in the Louisville area paying over 20% more with better health insurance.

I seen this place lay off very talented young individuals over people who had 5+ year experience who could not do 25% off what laid off person could do.

Advice to Management

Learn to value IT and understand there is a lot of untracked work they do for the company. The moves you have made against your IT has caused ALL the talent to leave. It may not slow down tacos sales but walk around and ask the end users/clients of your IT on how they feel about the changes.

We use to say we worked for Yum! Brands with pride and felt like we was apart of something. Now, I mumble it when I talk to people and glad I'm no longer there.

"Used to be a People focused company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Yum! full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging work because of scale; upward growth potential, recognition culture is great (when taken seriously), lot of great folks, dedicated and passionate.

Cons

Can be cliq-ish... beware the boys club mentality as you move upward... constant pressure of aggressive performance targets can causes work/life balance issues...

Advice to Management

Empower the people you have working for you. You just might be surprised at what could be accomplished.

9. "Wonderful people, fantastic China business international exposure and nice/affordable city."

Current Employee - Director, Finance in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Director, Finance in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Yum! full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People/culture are all about teamwork, international experience tops, and retail industry exposure great.

Cons

Smaller city several hours away from larger ones like Chicago.

Advice to Management

Promote or rotate people faster.

"Be prepared to be treated like a cost center if you are one."

Former Employee - Senior Applications Technologist in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Technologist in Louisville, KY

I worked at Yum! full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Bonus structure was excellent for salaried employees, as a senior worker bee my target bonus was 8%, which even in bad years was a decent lump of cash.
    Excellent amenities for workers.
    Decent health insurance plan. Was awesome, now just competitive.

Cons

Lots of 9-5 mentality. Heroes that fix problems they create get recognized. Big annual layoffs and restructuring for the last 4-5 years I was there. Not much challenge for a technical person. Big emphasis on style over substance. Recognition culture went from fun to lip service to a horrible chore.

Advice to Management

If you don't care to support people be skilled at a job function, just go ahead and stop doing that function.

11. "I thought it would be a cake walk but you actually work really hard and do many tasks not just Cashiers."

Former Employee - Cashier in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Yum! part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Oh they do contest every month and if you get the most people to call in or sell the most promotional items they give you a little cash.

Cons

People always call in sick so you have to come in for them on your days off. Alot of turnaround. The uniform is horrible everything sucks to the pants when you leave you look filthy . People will come in and order food and be secretly filming you and then they give them to your bosses to talk to you about improving. It made me feel violated.

Advice to Management

Hire people that may try to stick around longer than a week. Reward people that work hard and make sure the employees finish there jobs before they leave. Schedule more than four people on days its going to be really busy.