ZE PowerGroup Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dr. El-Ramly

Pros
  • depending on the position, it could be a good place to start your career (in 3 reviews)

• People are nice at a ZE, decent people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • high turnover wich made employees so unmotivated (in 7 reviews)

• Ridiculous high turnover rate due to the toxic culture (in 5 reviews)

1. "Good people"

I worked at ZE PowerGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I worked with are the best part of ZE. They are friendly, approachable, and reliable. The office has free parking and the computer hardware is modern.

Cons

ZE is a family-run company, which means that unless you are very close to the executives, your loyalty means little. I have seen senior employees with many years' experience let go in order to cut costs. Meetings were an exercise in frustration, where managers would air their disagreements about the decisions going on above them. Morale was not high; entire teams could be let go at a moment's notice, turnover was high (as employees left for better positions), and managers would be easily overruled.

The corporate culture is one of penny-pinching. Any extra-curricular activities and events would take place during lunch hour to minimize the amount of lost working hours. Extra education is encouraged, as long as the government approves funding for it. Salaries are not high unless you have many years of experience, but that just makes you a candidate to be let go. Until a couple years ago, the office holiday party was held in a nearby community dining hall.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and managers. They have good ideas.

"Closely Held Family Owned Company"

Former Employee - Product Development Manager in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Product Development Manager in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I worked at ZE PowerGroup (More than 3 years)

Pros

Closely knit employees. Hang out after work regularly.

Cons

Closely held family owned company. All executive positions reserved for family members. No opportunity for advancement. Upper management would create fake, paying positions for non-working family members to reduce the company's income tax, and then refuse to give raises/bonuses because "the company is not making money."

The president is very arrogant and believes that the intelligence of every employee (possibly excluding his family members) is far beneath his own. Do not ask him for a recommendation letter when applying for schools because he will write down what he believes.

"Replying to previous reviews"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros

Surprisingly, they are not too stingy when it comes to hardware for their employees. They set you up quite decently with a workstation. Although I do feel I am lacking in experience with regards to this, this seems like something that should be quite typical.

Someone mentioned you get a good grasp of databases and SQL which is true. This is how you manage to keep your head above water here. Without this skill you are effectively useless .

Leaving here made me appreciate when a company takes care of their employees.

Cons

The last two reviews have provoked me to write my own take on my time at ZE Powergroup. Not necessarily in response to the reviews themselves, more so to the futile attempts being made by whomever is tasked with monitoring Glassdoor at ZE whom is downplaying and discrediting the reviews by insinuating that they are fake. This is the type of knee jerk reaction a certain unpopular presidential administration is famous for. Do you really think that that these reviews are being posted by a competitor? Ridiculous. The only company I could even imagine doing something so dishonest would be this company.

I spent far too long at this company. I have never felt so chewed up and spit out in my life. I had no concept of how badly I was being treated until I left and realized how employees are treated in the real world. This is how they get away with this. People with little company experience are hired and retained due to their low salary expectations and lack of a better understanding of the concept of a reputable company. The majority of which are from countries with harsher working conditions and lower standards of living so unfortunately will take this type of treatment and deem it as acceptable. But this is Vancouver, a city that not only promotes the fact that it is one of the world’s ‘most livable’ but also has a tendency to be incredibly expensive. The wages that are on offer at this place are insulting and the closest thing to minimum wage you will receive working in the tech industrty. The hours are long and there are no real rewards for anything you might consider going out of your way or beyond the call of duty. Yet the expectancy is very much still there.

There are so many things wrong with how this company treats its employees and how they get away with it. If you mention the lack of social events or activities they will correct me by referencing the many ‘pot-luck’ and ‘sports day’ events they hold. The pot luck is simply requesting employees cook food at home and bring it in to serve. The company has virtually no expenditure in relation to these events. The sports day is like an elementary school outing. You are taken outside to participate in 2 hours of various made up games like one might expect at a five year old’s birthday party. Again, not one cent is contributed to this. Except a few Costco pizzas at the end.

One of the most recent reviews mentioned the finger pointing and hostile nature and ‘team vs. team’ attitude displayed here. They are completely correct. Being thrown under a bus at this place is highly regular so people can cover themselves. There is no comradery between departments. If they are not on your team they are incompetent. But the fact of the matter is that they have failed to prepare or train any of their employees for a lot of the situations that arise, and as a result of this anything that they consider to be an ‘incident’ is met with people acting like decapitated chickens on a hot surface. I do believe there are some good people here who know what they are doing, but their voice will never be heard so long as the top level of management is running this company. This level of management is where the name of the product and the company is derived from, which is actually a good indicator of how narcissistic they are from the get go.

Advice to Management

It is very hard to give advice to a place so deeply flawed and rotten to its core. Management don't deserve advice, they deserve to fail. They have mistreated too many people in the past. For anybody looking for a job, there are far, far better options. This place will eat you alive and pay you next to nothing for doing so. You will be less than a cog in a very badly constructed machine that produces embarrassing software.

"Just don't work here..."

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at ZE PowerGroup (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The only positive is how much I learned about different databases, software, programming languages, and data formats - not because training was provided, but because I had to learn these things on my own in order to do my job effectively, since relying on other departments for help was futile.

Cons

Where to begin…
    -You get paid for working 8 hours a day, but you have such an astounding workload that you must work for at least 10 hours a day just to stay afloat. Forget about overtime pay or banking hours, get your work done, shut up and be glad you haven’t been fired yet. (I have no idea where the reviewers saying they had "no pressure" worked, probably a different company)
    -Executives/Managers fire people who are competent, have good experience and instincts in order to hire someone they can pay less, and keep useless people for far too long.
    -They make hiring decisions on a whim - let’s try this strategy for a few months, hire a Director of Whatever, then fire them 3 or 6 months later. So many have come and gone…
    -Rarely ask those doing the work for input, feedback or ideas on how to improve, and if/when they do, they tell you that you are wrong and that they know better, even though they have no direct experience with what you are explaining to them.
    -Completely dysfunctional interdepartmental relations - forget working together towards a solution, it is always adversarial, requiring four different pieces of evidence to prove that something is not working as required before anyone will lift a finger to check.
    -The barn I mean warehouse I mean supposed office is not nearly large enough to fit the owners’ egos.
    -The benefits are poor, and not nearly enough to make up for how horrible working there is. The benefits also don’t cover the crippling burn out and mental suffering you experience multiple times per year.
    -Terrible parking, no walking distance food options.
    -Turnover is high (see above for reasons) so there are very few people that know the histories behind client needs and implementations, and the few people (okay, it’s one person) who does is unapproachable. Knowledge transfer… is non-existent.
    -They write their own 5-star reviews on Glassdoor. These reviews are either coerced from existing employees, or written by HR themselves, so ignore them.

Advice to Management

Advice to management is pointless, as their egos are so huge that they will not take any feedback seriously. So here’s some advice to employees considering working here:
    RUN. RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN. This company will crush your soul, and destroy your self-respect, because no one who respects themselves as a human with skills, talents and abilities would let this company treat them the way this company treats their employees.

"Bad Company !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Network Analyst Manager in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Network Analyst Manager in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I worked at ZE PowerGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Honestly, I cannot think any pros for this company.

Cons

This is the worst company that I have ever worked in my life. I was a Network Services manager and the management people above me are all horrible, no management skills, no technical skills, no time management skills, etc. Super high turnover rate, company will fire a few people every month. Low salary, bad benefit package and make you work like a dog.

Advice to Management

No advice to management at this point. I don't see any room for improvement for this company.

ZE PowerGroup Response

May 30, 2017 – HR Manager

In the past, we have had several posts of someone impersonating employees at ZE intended to be malicious and defamatory, including this one, specifically impersonating a former Network Services ... More

"unsatisfied"

Pros

-had a good plane of training.
    -in some departments, you could see a friendly environment.

Cons

-acting differently with people in the same position
    -high turnover wich made employees so unmotivated.
    -low salaries and low-level benefits

Advice to Management

-keep talented people in the company for the benefit of the company
    -make people more satisfied with their salaries

"Can be a good experience depending on the position"

Former Employee - Java Developer in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Java Developer in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I worked at ZE PowerGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- convenient location if you live in Richmond
    - free parking
    - light workload
    - depending on the position, it could be a good place to start your career
    - lots of opportunities to learn and enhance skills. The company pays for conferences, workshops, and classes
    - multicultural company
    - employees are allowed to work on holidays and take time off on another day
    - you get to work with great people. A lot of people with good academic and work backgrounds apply to the company despite the bad reviews
    - contrary to what another reviewer said, the experience at ZE actually helps in finding better jobs. Hence, the high turnover rate
    - new employees get a copy of "Zakisms: Life, Simply Stated"

Cons

- very low pay
    - a lot of employees feel that the owners look down on them
    - generally low employee morale

Advice to Management

Respect your employees

"Management"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I have been working at ZE PowerGroup full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A place to grow and get educated in several fields including business management, software development, support and sales.
    Benefits package unmatched for the corporate size.
    Intensive training program.
    Friendly fun place.

Cons

No high pressure applied. You have to be self motivated to grow.
    May need to travel to visit clients.
    Surrounded by smart people, could be exposed easily.

Advice to Management

Realize that some employees need more direction than usual or average employees.
    Make the tough decisions sooner.
    Continue with the training program.

"ZE is a nice place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I have been working at ZE PowerGroup full-time

Pros

To the previous "Business Analyst" post, thank you for prompting me to write a review of ZE. I've been with ZE for many years and they are a good employer and I am tired of reading untrue review such as the one you posted. It's one thing to write a bad review of a company because you didn't like the job for a tangible reason or other, it's another to be toxic and lie the way you do. I'm not sure how you couldn't afford to eat since anyone in Canada makes at least minimum wage (and I'm sure you made much more than that) and not being able to go to the dentist is also a lie since ZE provides medical and dental services. Writing reviews like you did does nothing but hurt employees like me as much as it does hurt the employer. I

Anyway....some pros I've found working for ZE.

1. Decent benefit package. You get good medical and dental.
    2. Decent wages. They aren't in the silicon valley but they pay fair. You get a decent annual bonus and there is a pension plan if you want to contribute. Vacation is average to start but grows over time.
    3. Good atmosphere. There are a lot of social activities per year both during work and outside of work hours. I personally love the ping pong tournaments.
    4. Good variety of tasks if you want it. ZE looks inside before it looks outside which is nice. I've moved departments once since I've arrived.
    5. Nice people. People are nice at a ZE, decent people. Nobody is trying to "throw you under a bus" and will help you if you need it. Not everyone is as social as others.
    6. Good equipment. ZE seems to spend on its employees. I've got four monitors and pretty fast computer. Others in my group have ergonomic mice, chairs and even stand up desks for those with back issues.

It's nice that ZE hires different kinds of people including students. Nothing else specifically.

Cons

There are some cons to ZE but nothing unique to ZE.

1. Different managers have different approaches to the job. My previous manager met with and interacted with me less than my current one. My previous manager with technically stronger.
    2. Sometimes meetings go longer than they should.
    3. Parking is limited. I admit that It is a short walk to the park next door but I wish there was more parking outside the building.
    4. Less people on email chains. My inbox gets a bit cluttered.

Advice to Management

You are doing a good job so it's sad to see people writing such negative reviews of ZE. I do recommend that some managers get out from behind their desks more and act as mentors as much as they do act as workers. You might get more from eager employees.

"Experience useless for future"

Former Employee - Analyst in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I worked at ZE PowerGroup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to get past "Do you have Canadian Experience?", They will hire easily as long as you ready to work for dirt cheap.

Cons

- Not a place where your caliber is appreciated.
    - Salary is extremely low compared to what they charge the customers.
    - Those who built the product were made to leave (See 5-6 yrs old Christmas pic and see how many still there?)
    - Experience is useless outside for many.
    - 1.5% average raise, even after starting at low wage.
    - Managers needs training how to treat employees (seems inferiority complex coated with superiority complex)
    - Some of the great colleagues were fired, some jerks still there?

Advice to Management

Direction is towards ground, sell it before.