ZF TRW Reviews | Glassdoor

Dr. Franz Kleiner

1. "machine operator"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Marshall, IL
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Marshall, IL

I have been working at ZF TRW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy job, laid back people, very enjoyable mostly, good insurance.

Cons

No to very little work and very little overtime. Wages are kinda low. The company can't keep parts coming in. Not a day goes by that we don;t run out of parts.

Advice to Management

They need to clean house on the current management and hire someone who can really get this place going again. They also need to find suppliers to keep parts coming in on time so they don't lose customers or find someplace to make their own parts that they run out of often.

"Poorly Managed"

Former Employee - Senior Electronics Technician in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Electronics Technician in Livonia, MI

I worked at ZF TRW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to gain engineering experience

Cons

Electronics Engineering department is a mix of very talented, and very unqualified engineers. The unqualified engineers become clear, very quickly, with very little interaction.
    Unfortunately, management would rather promote those unqualified engineers, to management, because they've created friendships. This makes it very frustrating, as you are expected to work around the manager's inadequate qualifications, and baseless arrogance.

Additionally, there is often contention, between software, electronics, and mechanical, when issues arise with a product. Each department wants to blame the other, and will go out of their way, to try blaming the other, without actually investigating if they are actually the source of the issue.

Advice to Management

Learn to heed warnings from employees, about management. Make changes, rather than allowing employees to be driven out, by poor management choices.

"Materials Planner"

Former Employee - Materials Planner in Atkins, IA
    Former Employee - Materials Planner in Atkins, IA

I worked at ZF TRW full-time

Pros

Stronger automotive technology. Most of the personnel in the departmentsouthern that I collaborated with were great

Cons

I could have written the evaluation below a couple of months ago, but I wanted to give myself sometimes to reevaluate and be fair. Let me just say I left this company on my free Will. Now let's get on with the evaluation.

This company is not quite what it claims to be. The Materials department is chaotic, with bad leadership. Management turns it head the other way when it comes to quality and procurement practices. They make false claims to vendors regarding lost production time and try to get their vendors to pay for lost productivity due to late deliveries. I particularly found this unethical.

They tied themselves to procurring parts from specific vendors for one product platform and a different vendor for the same part for another platform. They often find themselves in violation of mixing vendors without customer approval for deviation.

From a pride in workplace point of view, a very prominent sign on the ZF TRW property reads "this is a tobacco free workplace ". Workers, some of whom are managers smoke, chew tobacco and vape on the premises. HR management, plant operations are all aware of it, and dismiss is as a part of the territory in Southwestern Virginia; so then, why the claim of a tobacco free workplace?

I could go on with more examples, but if you are reading this, I believe you got the gist

Advice to Management

Management needs to put all the hours of ethical training into deeds. The right choices are never easy choices.

4. "Controller"

Current Employee - Plant Controller in Winona, MN
    Current Employee - Plant Controller in Winona, MN

Pros

Nice balance between personal and work environment, good team to work for, ability to think for yourself and apply own ideas, constant changes for better processes,

Cons

Lack of support to employees, hard to clinb the corporate ladder, no empathy from HR, management not the best you would hope for,

Advice to Management

Pay attention to employee necesities, we leave our best and receive mediocre feedback increases and benefits, not the balance we are expecting

"TRW Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Washington Township, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Washington Township, MI

I have been working at ZF TRW (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people, buddy culture, pays well and hiring

Cons

Not enough changes of growth. Tons of politics and favoritism

6. "Not recommended"

Former Employee - Assembly Technician in Gainesville, GA
    Former Employee - Assembly Technician in Gainesville, GA

Pros

Has excellent pay and benefits

Cons

Terrible management and human resources department

Advice to Management

Learn to treat people with respect and listen more to employees

"ZF TRW"

Current Employee - Purchasing in Livonia, MI
    Current Employee - Purchasing in Livonia, MI

I have been working at ZF TRW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- challenging/interesting work, high level of responsibility
    - ownership of your own work, autonomy
    - good pay
    - coworkers/immediate manager have been good to work with
    - ZF recently purchased TRW, perhaps over time it will positively influence ZF TRW

Cons

- fast pace/aggressive auto industry
    - culture is awful
    - lack of good/clear processes
    - don't feel appreciated by the overall company/senior management
    - understaffed, many seem to be doing the work of 2-3 people
    - high turnover, people coming and going constantly
    - horrible IT systems, so you spend tons of time doing non-value add activities that a system should do or do better (data analysis, tracking systems, etc)
    - good data not available or painstaking to get

Advice to Management

Think about the long term picture regarding employee engagement. It's not always about every penny you can save or avoid paying in the short term, but instead there should be more thought and emphasis placed on investments in long term engagement and happiness of your employees. In the end, the turnover and disengagement is costing you much more than it would to make ZF TRW a better place to work. Since ZF acquired TRW, use ZF has a positive example of employee satisfaction, and apply some best practices to the ZF TRW division.

"Just numbers"

Former Employee - Miscellaneous Assembler in Winona, MN
    Former Employee - Miscellaneous Assembler in Winona, MN

Pros

Union security based off of seniority along with good benefits. Overtime was based on working more than 8 hours a day or coming in on Saturday instead of working more than 40 along with double pay Sunday's and triple pay for holidays. You also apply for other positions in house.

Cons

Very little training to none and very inconsistent rule following. Standards seem to drop on rushed orders and employees don't appear to be held to the same standards. Two employees will miss work yet just one employee signs the attendance sheet.

Advice to Management

Paperwork needs to be more diligently. The lines need accurate information for their paperwork and better human resources employees.

9. "ZF-TRW"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at ZF TRW (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom to work as I please as process is currently ill defined

Cons

poor management. low quality product and employees.

10. "Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, MI

I have been working at ZF TRW full-time

Pros

New products and customers coming on board. Chance to travel.

Cons

Always a sense of urgency. Lots of finger pointing, always need someone to blame. A meeting for a meeting mentality.

Advice to Management

Look to utilize the skills and knowledge of those in the organization. Don't handcuff those who see the future or an endgame in a different light.