ZF TRW Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Great place to work at"

I have been working at ZF TRW full-time

Pros

Awesome place to work and work for.

Cons

I have None as of yet!

2. "Decent place. Not great. Not terrible"

Pros

Decent pay, four shift options (Monday through Thursday 10 hour days or Friday through Saturday 12 hour day), clean for a factory job,

Cons

Lots of drama, training is not great, lack of communication about changes from management, strict attendance policy, weekend shift can be inconvenient

3. "HSE Manager"

Former Employee - HSE Manager in Pharr, TX
    Former Employee - HSE Manager in Pharr, TX

Pros

Excellent company with an HSE Corporate Professional Team

Cons

People work under pressure all time

4. "Senior HSE Specialist"

I worked at ZF TRW full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Comprehensive corporate HSE Management System

Cons

Micromanaged, redundant reports to various levels of management.

5. "Principal Product Engineer"

Current Employee - Principal Product Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Principal Product Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at ZF TRW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good co-workers, flexible working schedule, my immediate management chain is great. I love that we work as a team but there are still areas to improve on

Cons

Still lacking communication from upper management, some of the details of the ZF assimilation was not communicated well this made it seem a bit secret/closed door type which was a bit disappointing from their initial kickoff of the purchase. Benefits such as healthcare is too expensive and sucks.

Advice to Management

Better the communication down. Ensure the lower level employees understand how their part plays into the bigger picture. Communication is key

6. "Based on my experience"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Marion, VA
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Marion, VA

I have been working at ZF TRW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The overall atmosphere is family/team based. The progression opportunities provided are the reason I enjoy working here. Management is flexible with your schedule, especially with college.

Cons

Communication is always an opportunity for improvement everywhere

7. "Global supplier development and quality engineering leader"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at ZF TRW full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong automotive industry leader with multiple tier 1 and 2 components.

Cons

Levels of global management is too deep for effective decision making

Advice to Management

Definitive mechanisms are needed for management training prior to being placed into critical management positions. Progression of management understanding and positive application talents based on quanatative and objective results prior to official assignment.

8. "Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at ZF TRW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people really trying to do their best in the most extreme environment under the highest sustained stress levels. Can't say the same for the middle and upper managers who definately take their stress out on their employees. Shameful. Do you train these people as managers at all?

Cons

***Pass over if you have a family.*** Such high stress. expectations are to not have any kind of life outside of work. Managers have no families and they live there practically 24/7. Expect to be on call 24/7. Many good people have been run off due to this. Managers are suppose to give guidance then backoff while protecting their people to let them get their work done quickly and accurately. Screaming at everyone and threatening their jobs is NOT a way to motivate someone to do you best every day. Very high turnover. HR says it's not, but don't believe it. Employees taking their relocation assistance is required to sign a 'hush-hush' deal so you aren't told the truth by any of the employers or peers. Highly disappointed. Zero, zilch, nadda - No training and always held accountable for highly sophisticated machines breaking down and you're blamed even when the manufacturing reps have no idea on how to fix. Seems like they let a few power hungry people step into roles they were'nt suited for... too bad. Lots of negative fall out. Morale at an all time low. Hope they can turn it around....? Company has *actually* hired a 3rd party to survey everyone who has left the company to see what the underlying cause of leaving the company was, what state the company is in and more details. It seems like corporate is at least showing some interest in why such a huge turnover. Too bad for us - too late.

Advice to Management

inexperienced managers are not equipped to buffer their people to give them time to figure out what is going on when machines go down. You can't band-aid equipment running 24/7 and then expect it to keep running full speed. Those managers will turn to others to blame them to take the heat off themselves. You need more experiened managers (middle and up) to understand the bigger picture and for goodness sakes - take some managment classes on how to get your employees engaged and actually wanting to work with you. The carrot actually works better than the stick. Go crazy, and try it sometime. Would you want to work with a manager who constantly critizes and bullies you even when you were showing good results just because they can't handle the stress of the job and want to taket the heat off of themselves? Take a good look at your organization - shame on you for letting it deterioriate to this point! Want a good picture of who your company really lost to these bullies? Call up all the engineers that left within the past year and ask them why. Oh wait, corporate is already doing that, but if you local Rogersville managers want to know - do it yourself. Maybe surprised. Cost of turnover is astronomical - that's what I'd be afraid to loose my job over!

"Materials Planner"

Former Employee - Materials Planner in Atkins, IA
    Former Employee - Materials Planner in Atkins, IA

I worked at ZF TRW full-time

Pros

Stronger automotive technology. Most of the personnel in the departmentsouthern that I collaborated with were great

Cons

I could have written the evaluation below a couple of months ago, but I wanted to give myself sometimes to reevaluate and be fair. Let me just say I left this company on my free Will. Now let's get on with the evaluation.

This company is not quite what it claims to be. The Materials department is chaotic, with bad leadership. Management turns it head the other way when it comes to quality and procurement practices. They make false claims to vendors regarding lost production time and try to get their vendors to pay for lost productivity due to late deliveries. I particularly found this unethical.

They tied themselves to procurring parts from specific vendors for one product platform and a different vendor for the same part for another platform. They often find themselves in violation of mixing vendors without customer approval for deviation.

From a pride in workplace point of view, a very prominent sign on the ZF TRW property reads "this is a tobacco free workplace ". Workers, some of whom are managers smoke, chew tobacco and vape on the premises. HR management, plant operations are all aware of it, and dismiss is as a part of the territory in Southwestern Virginia; so then, why the claim of a tobacco free workplace?

I could go on with more examples, but if you are reading this, I believe you got the gist

Advice to Management

Management needs to put all the hours of ethical training into deeds. The right choices are never easy choices.

10. "ZF TRW"

I have been working at ZF TRW full-time

Pros

With the combination of ZF and TRW, the intercompany career opportunities have increased.

Cons

Not enough focus on people.

Advice to Management

Have skip level meetings with the employees. Solicit honest feedback for improvement areas.