ZOG Digital Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Jeff Herzog

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great agency, great people, great vision"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

My time at Zog was some of the most amazing and professionally fulfilling that I've ever had.

Cons

Not really a con, but it is a startup being a startup. :) Fast moving, lots of changes, but I love that!

Advice to Management

Great leadership! :)

"Digital Marketer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at ZOG Digital full-time

Pros

You get a paycheck. People doing the work are talented.

Cons

Fear based management. Cliqueish and manipulative environment. More than a fair amount of drama. In good graces one day and not the next. People are hired and a month later you wonder where they went.

Advice to Management

Realize that anger and poor or unreasonable management behavior at the top ultimately rolls downhill. Some talented people have moved on because of unreasonable behavior and dynamics of management at the very top.

"Loved My Job, Hated The Mentality"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at ZOG Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most teams are amazing. I loved my work in the position I held. There are some really interesting and fun clients to work with. I thoroughly worked hard to keep my projects and time spent above and beyond the expectation. I was able to leave on my own terms, but it was only after being told to do something I had already stated I didn't want to do anymore.

Somebody on here said "I cannot say enough about some of the digital talent at this company." I will have to agree with this mostly. I learned a lot from some truly talented people.

This was also a great starting point in the marketing world. I would recommend ZOG as a placeholder job.

Cons

No reviews when asked for, which leads to the opportunity for them to conveniently be lazy about raises. Or, if they do give you a raise it's because they can't lose you at that point in time without failing. Unless you help keep a client happy or even help bring a client in, your opportunity for a raise is a lost cause.

Since it's considered a "start-up" there are no bonuses. Sure you can drink on the job - but that's because you'll probably need it.

Also, while there is "unlimited vacation," if you aren't reachable at least every so often you'll be reprimanded behind your back to your manager and anyone within ear shot.

CEO asks for reviews on this site at every company meeting. And he makes it painfully awkward that he expects them to be positive or even neutral.

There were many promises that if you stay with them for the long run, you'll prosper. Multiple years there and I never saw stock options, but people always talked them up. CEO tends to play favorites. If you coddle him and "work hard" you get to go on a special getaway, which I guess you could call a bonus - but it's only for the fit and usually only men. The office was a boy's club until just a few months ago, but the mentality stays.

No 401K, expensive benefits, no HR.

You'll mostly be brushed off if you have other ideas or question what the CEO/Management Team is doing.

Advice to Management

When you say it's a team effort, mean it. Don't hold "monthly management meetings" and then not be open with your team about the future or your plans. When people don't understand the full plan, they have no idea what to work toward. People won't be inclined to work hard in the throes of confusion.

And please, for the love of all that is moral: DO NOT tell someone YOUR plan for them before you even discuss options with them. Don't hire more and more people over someone who worked to keep a whole department afloat and running smoothly while also appeasing clients due to your lack of communication and "we're the agency so we're always right" attitude.

Also - keep your fitness and beauty standards to yourself.

"Stop drinking the Kool-Aid"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

The number one pro about ZOG Digital is the people. It is truly fun to come into work and interact with the smart, funny and talented people there. You will never go a day without laughing at something "KC" says - he brings a smile to everyone's face. Just watch out for the few snakes in the office...you will learn who they are and know you can't trust them with anything you say. I made quite a few friendships there and genuinely miss almost all my co-workers.

Casual dress, cool modern office, young workers, loud and rambunctious environment (all of these pros to me at least), ping-pong, beers and margaritas at work and "unlimited" vacation time (but watch how much you take or you'll be talked about).

Quite a few big and well-known clients. It's chaotic at times (which can be a con) but most of the time that leads to a fun and creative environment where you can experiment with knew strategies.

You really can learn something knew everyday...I grew remarkably in my previously limited digital marketing knowledge and skills in my time there.

Company quarterly meetings are pretty inspirational...CEO takes the time to comment on something good each employee did which makes you feel valued and excited about the prospects for the future.

Cons

Whoever posted "no drama" in one of the reviews...I laughed out loud at that. It's a very drama-filled and toxic environment. CEO runs around and yells at people or talks about people loud enough for you to hear. His expectations are unrealistic and it wears on everyone, hence the high turnover rate - even for an agency.

One reviewer noted a lack of women - this is true. Once the CEO was overheard saying "next company event we will do a knitting circle for the girls." How nice. It's also very cliquey....departments/sections of the office stay among themselves most of the time.

Poor communication on many fronts that leads to confusion.

To the person who said that management asks you to write positive Glassdoor reviews...this is fact and was even asked at a quarterly meeting.

No 401k and low pay. This leads to bad morale.

Like I mentioned earlier, there are a few really shady people in the office.

Overall, I think this is a good company to work for if you are fresh out of college or younger. You will enjoy the young crowd and how much you can learn...then in a year or two when you leave, you will see you are better off for it. Like the shiny new toy on your birthday, the appeal fades after using it enough.

Advice to Management

Stick to a plan and stop changing the website every two seconds. Be more open with employees and act more managerial. Pay your employees more and invest in their happiness.

On a good note, continue to keep the fun and casual environment,. It's a huge perk.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at ZOG Digital (Less than a year)

Pros

High-performance, engaged & talented team that works well together and doesn't have a lot of the drawbacks of traditional agencies. Everyone seems to love what they do and is dedicated to it. CEO engages with the team on a daily basis - motivates and drives performance higher.

Cons

No cons at this time.

6. "Awesome place, tons of talent"

Current Employee - Senior Paid Analyst in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Paid Analyst in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at ZOG Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is extremely smart at what they do, no micro managing which allows for much more productivity, extremely helpful team. Haven't worked at many jobs where the everyone loves what they do along with everyone being so friendly.

Cons

don't have any at this time

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

7. "Diamond in the rough"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at ZOG Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Flex vaca and time off as needed.
    *Genuine people to work with, it's so hard to find people who truly appreciate you or want to help their team grow instead of trying to compete all the time. This makes for a fun and trusting work environment and you grow to really respect what everyone brings to the table.
    *Smaller company with a start-up feel, everyone is free to be themselves.
    *You can easily approach higher ups, even the CEO, almost like a mentor.
    *The receptionist, Patti, is like the in-house mom :)

Cons

*Pay seems lower than average for a lot of people and equipment can often be outdated or whatever you can nab laying around. One man's trash is another's treasure?
    *Can feel like you're living in a frat house 90% of the time, crowded, loud, and makes it difficult to concentrate at times.
    *High turnarounds and people getting let go with no warning did worry me at first but it does seem to become less frequent.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Being open to questions and new ideas plus honestly trusting your employees continues to promote even more respect and dedication.

8. "PPC/SEM Department"

Former Employee - Senior Search & Display Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Search & Display Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at ZOG Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Zog Digital is such an amazing company to work for. It's really been a privilege and a great learning experience. The Paid Advertising department is full of individuals that are all extremely motivated and passionate for what they do. They are the top specialists in this industry when it comes to experience, account management and strategic execution of ZOG's accounts. You will definitely learn a lot from this team (led by Kim G. who is an incredible support to everyone in the paid department!).

It's been refreshing to work with a company that legitimately cares about their employees, while providing ongoing learning for employees and the highest quality of work for its' clients. Comparing the agencies that I've worked at before, ZOG is #1 on my list. Definitely would recommend working here, you'll be surrounded by a highly innovative and "top of their field" teams in every department.

Other great perks:
    Atmosphere - Very laid back, fun atmosphere. The office is full of great games too (ping pong, arcades, foosball, basketball hoop, gym in office).
    Benefits are great too
    Co-Workers - Very intelligent individuals in the digital industry who are always a lot of fun to work with. Probably the most supportive group I've have the privilege to work with.
    Dogs - Bring in your dogs on Fridays!

Cons

Honestly don't have a con about ZOG. I would recommend it to any one of my friends.

"Account Team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at ZOG Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A no drama, very client results oriented company. Management is a tight nit, caring, enthusiast and long-standing team. They know digital marketing right up there with the top of the industry. If you are honest, very driven and hardworking, you have a long-term place with this group. Those that deliver are rewarded and appreciated. Those that don't fit exit. This company will no doubt continue to grow each year as they have been.

Cons

Takes a year or more to earn trust. Office can get loud due to ping pongs, basketballs, sarcasm and jokes flying. Percentage of women could be higher. The ladies that are there, are veterans of the industry and the company -- each happen to be super talented and smart -- so why not hire more.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on your mission. Ignore the haters. As they say -- they are just gonna hate. More team meetings would also be a positive.

"If you can handle the stress, demands it's an okay place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at ZOG Digital (More than a year)

Pros

ZOG Digital is a decent place to work, but you have to be willing to put the effort in and prove you're worth something and then consistently reprove it. It's still a small company and each person is expected to perform well. There is definitely a 'Type-A' personality office, and is male centric. The work atmosphere is pretty relaxed: casual dress, beer, ping-pong, dogs. However, you'll need a thick skin to work here because there isn't a HR department and pretty much anything goes regarding office conversation. Technically there is an open vacation policy, but you're not encouraged to take any time off. After a year you can start to earn modest raises. The company is still small, so if you prove yourself valuable there are some marginal opportunities for growth.

Cons

Moderate turnover, inconsistent leadership and demands from CEO. Pay is slightly below industry average, but if you're valuable you will receive modest raises. No 401k, employee buy-in or realistic equity options. Management can be slow to deliver on promises. CEO practices a 'boy's club' mentality (could be a pro if you're into that).

Advice to Management

Clearly communicate expectations and demands to employees. Incentivize employees with timely benefits, raises or bonuses and more in-office perks to retain employees. Expand on team building activities.