ZOLL Medical Reviews in Pittsburgh, PA | Glassdoor

2.9
Jonathan A. Rennert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Don't expect help from HR, decisions are made on a whim with little to no checks and balances in place (in 6 reviews)

• Obscenely high turnover that they seem to be OK with (in 9 reviews)

"Account Coordinator"

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ZOLL Medical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job Security. Company continues to grow. Most Management is respectful and fun to work with. Very rewarding when you look at the big picture of what the ZOLL LifeVest does and how it offers a piece of mind to patients.

Cons

Starting salary is pretty nice but a good raise is hard to come from. I personally have taken on multiple tasks to assist management and am a go to person for training and new employees. At the yearly review I was one of a few on the team of 80 (which is split to 4 teams based on area of country you cover) who received a "frequently meets all standards" rating. But when it came to raise time I was told the average of what everyone got is this amount and that is what you got. So long story short, taking on extra tasks does not benefit you unless you apply for another position internally and use them on your resume

Advice to Management

Most are very nice and easy to work with. A few need to lighten up. You go weeks and weeks doing great but if you have one busy day where you barely miss a metric you are hounded as to why. Again, this is not every manager.

"Intake Specialist"

Former Employee - Intake Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Intake Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at ZOLL Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary , Free Parking

Cons

Management Nepotism, Lack of real employee development

Advice to Management

Create an employee development plan. Stop promoting people just because that person happens to be a friend.

"Assembly"

Former Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at ZOLL Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The device you work on saves lives.

Cons

Zoll stole the technology they use.
    They promote their friends.
    Empty promises are made to pacify people.
    They claim to promote from within but don't.
    Sexism.
    Constant overtime.
    High turnover.

Advice to Management

Make promises you can keep.
    Promote your women.
    Stop talking about your employees behind their backs.
    Figure something out so that your people aren't working OT for a year+
    Instead of promoting the buddies you high five in the hallway, assign positions to people who actually work and out perform.

4. "Poor leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at ZOLL Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's great to work for a company that sells a product that saves lives. It's a company that has grown quickly, as the sales has begun to level out, the business practices should be able to catch up

Cons

Poor leadership with emphasis on proving theories rather than reading data results, sketchy business practices that lend to the high turnover, not a career path oriented company

Advice to Management

Business practices and their impacts on turnover should scrutinized and corrected

"ZOLL LifeVest Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ZOLL Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting to be a part of a life saving device that already is having such an impact on peoples lives. The strength of the company even with so much more growth and knowledge still to get out to the prescribing physicians.

Cons

Living through the ups and downs of the peaks and valleys of the product demand as the sales force continues to grow and spread the good word. It is important to have patience.

Advice to Management

Provide as much visibility to the hourly teams as you can on what R&D is working on, and how that will affect the potential future growth of the company. Patience is key when dealing with a Class III medical device. This is not your typical manufacturing facility that just pumps out your average widgets.

6. "tech support supervisor"

Former Employee - Tech Support Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Tech Support Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at ZOLL Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay, Solid Training, Good benefits

Cons

Tough hours that took away from a good work/Life balance.

"Overall OK"

Current Employee - QA Tester in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - QA Tester in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ZOLL Medical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people and very relaxed environment.

Cons

No clear path for career, pay is low, lack of supervisor support( even if you email them they seldom answer or come down to answer).

Advice to Management

Create a clear path for career advancement.

"certain departments need work"

Current Employee - Medical Billing Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Medical Billing Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ZOLL Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Zoll as a whole is a wonderful company to work for. With right management it can be great. Some managers are over worked and others have nothing to do. I have been at zoll over 2 years now and I have learned alot and moved up to various departments. All departments have been great except the one I'm in now. Management is horrible. Moral is way down. Co-workers HATE their job and don't want to excel or try to do it right or better. They don't care. the strict policies and rules have left everyone miserable. the errors and occurrences leave workers with heads down and figure "what is the point we will get a million errors no matter what we do or how hard we try so why bother" This is very sad to see from a company that has been so awesome to me and I truly have loved working for. Most of Zoll departments have flex-time etc. overtime is available and people want to come to work. This department is different.

Cons

They need an overhaul of the billing department management. the department is a revolving door. Management doesn't follow their own rules, time is strictly enforced from 8:30 to 5 with no leeway except for management that wanders in when they feel like it. Especially upper management who I have yet to see put in a full 8 hour day . my rating below are on a company as a whole average.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, A strict system is nice if run properly. Too strict and you run the risk of very unhappy employees and that is what you have now. unreasonable rules for unreasonable reasons don't make for a great work environment.

9. "Software Co-op"

Former Intern - Software Engineer Co-Op in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Co-Op in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at ZOLL Medical as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

RIDC Park office: Co-workers are friendly. Management is willing to listen. And there's (usually) free coffee.
    There's always something going on, from bugs to fix to new software to write. You also get to work with full-time software engineers in a scrum team.

Cons

The pay for co-ops is decent but not stellar. When I worked here, there was not a lot of cubicle space, but that seems to be changing now.

Advice to Management

There needs to be better handling of computers between co-op rotations. If this issue has not been fixed yet, it should.

"Technical Support Specialist"

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ZOLL Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent wage, Overtime always available, decent benefits. Enjoy helping patients.

Cons

Not much opportunity to move up.

Advice to Management

Communication could be much better.