ZS Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

ZS Associates Managing Director Chris Wright
Chris Wright

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Difficult to maintain work life balance as there are so many projects with limited timeline" (in 639 reviews)

• "Long working hours don't give you much leeway to do things on your own time" (in 295 reviews)

1. "Associate Consultant"

I have been working at ZS Associates full-time

Pros

Collaborative work environment, great people, casual office

Cons

long hours, high demand, stress

2. "SF Focused"

I have been working at ZS Associates full-time

Pros

Diversity of issues
    Focus on healthcare

Cons

Brand strongly associated with sales force issues
    Analytics heavy not true management consulting

Advice to Management

Align expectations with brand value

3. "Decent, but wouldn't stay long-term"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ZS Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Travel is generally low (except for non-healthcare work), work is flexible (accommodate appointments, WFH, etc.), pay is decent, raises around ~6%/year, regular promotion, culture is generally pretty good (fairly collegial, definitely not cut throat)

Cons

Very easy to get pigeonholed into one type or work and/or one client, long hours (though likely on par with other firms), no pay transparency, high turnover, leadership quality of the principals is highly variable (some are terrible to work with, uninterested in your personal commitments, not interested in personal growth, etc. - others are fantastic), opportunities outside of healthcare are much more limited and can be difficult to break into

4. "Associate Consultant"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ZS Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly, youthful environment, good growth potential (growing company), supportive culture

Cons

Long hours, average pay for the hours required, conservative promotions, unambitious leadership (not all, but some), lack of support for work life balance.

Advice to Management

Your motto is treat people right, but instead you overwork your A/AC/Cs. Grow smart - look to hire ambitious team members and actually value them.

5. "Business Technology Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

I have been working at ZS Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, Free food, Smart people

Cons

Bad work life balance, Boring work sometimes, Low in-hand salary

"Shiny on the outside, sadness on the inside"

Current Employee - Decision Analytics Associate
    Current Employee - Decision Analytics Associate

I have been working at ZS Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At first glance, ZS is an exciting atmosphere, they provide free snacks, you can expense dinner if you work >12 hours, and "everyone is happy".

Cons

My manager sat me down and told me I need to work at least 55 hours per week, otherwise, I can go part-time at 40 hours per week. He also said it's okay for me to plan 1 evening activity outside of work per week, but I should expect to only get 2-3 hours of sleep that night if I choose to do that. I know it's consulting but that's not an excuse to force employees to lead terrible lives. The pay is good, but considering 15+ hours of unpaid overtime per week, it's not worth it. You can easily find similar positions at other companies doing data anaytics, get paid more, and work less. The whole "everyone is happy" thing quickly becomes transparent as "everyone forces smiles so they can get promoted". I am expected to work past midnight ~2 nights per week and to be on call literally 24/7. I consistently get calls, texts, and emails late in the evening (anytime between 6pm to midnight) with requests for tasks to be completed and turned in within the hour.

Advice to Management

ZS claims to value work/life balance and respect employees' personal commitments, but I am constantly berated for wanting to spend time on exercise and having a social life, and leaving the office before 6:30 pm. The managers and consultants are doing an absolutely terrible job of being respectful towards the lower level employees and treat us as if we're on call *literally* 24/7.

7. "First pharma consulting"

I have been working at ZS Associates full-time

Pros

> competitive salary
    > room for growth & development, especially if you're a proven asset to your team

Cons

> conservative titles and promotions
    > conservative 401k match
    > constant reorg of the performance review process makes YoY hard to calibrate

Advice to Management

> invest in your people
    > grow smart not quick

8. "Specialized Firm"

I have been working at ZS Associates full-time

Pros

The people are analytically sharp, good career growth opportunities

Cons

Clients can think of ZS in narrow terms, very pharma focused

9. "Complete let down"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Princeton, NJ

I worked at ZS Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learning business side of presentation skills, requirements gathering and project delivery. Good experience for new graduates to earn some initial stripes in the market. Coaches and mentors can be helpful for guidance on career in ZS. Maybe around 1 out of 5 managers are really helpful in figuring out your professional development.

Cons

Practical and relevant training is largely lacking. Online training either may have access issues or is grossly oversimplified. In person training has precious little content that familiarizes you with tools/technologies/subject, instead involves playing games that may not always be relevant. Some managers come across as pompous and arrogant. Creativity, innovation and out of the box thinking are relatively uncommon as are opportunities to utilize emerging technology. Work life balance is relatively low.

Advice to Management

The culture at ZS could result in managers and employees with incomplete knowledge. Excellent talent will tend to quit or become underutilized. Pay attention to spotting skillsets across the board, train them to master relevant tools and become SMEs versus making them work via guessing. Company could definitely do more to ensure less burnout and more work life balance.

10. "Great Place to Work"

Pros

Amazing career progression and opportunities to learn

Cons

long work hours, not very great work-life balance.