ZS Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

ZS Associates Managing Director Chris Wright
Chris Wright

1,492 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • nice work culture good staff and collegues (in 156 reviews)

• Steep learning curve and good responsibilities early in the firm (in 56 reviews)

Cons

1. "ZS is great if you are motivated, can put your client's interests before your own, and aspire to partnership."

Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Princeton, NJ

Pros

Interesting work within a collaborative culture and strong growth which provides many opportunities for professional development.

Cons

Trying to get projects staffed is very difficult. We're busy!

Advice to Management

Make sure to get the Delhi office launch right.

"Get it right, treat people right, do the right thing."

Current Employee - Business Associate in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Business Associate in San Mateo, CA

Pros

- Great access to clients from early on in your career (interns present to clients in meetings)
    - Opportunities to learn and try new things (regular check-ins with managers to set goals for growth)
    - Encouragement to thrive outside the office (a first year associate just starred in a play while working full-time)
    - Great co-workers; people you actually enjoy so much you want to see them out of the office (30+ of the 100 people in the office went to see the associate's play)
    - Fun office outings (recent trips include a regatta on the SF Bay and a day of improv at a theatre company)
    - The pay is good (we are still getting raises and bonuses in the recession)
    - Job security (we are still hiring and growing)

Cons

- Presence in a limited number of industries (we do 80% of our work in "healthcare")
    - Limited number of practice areas (we do work mostly in the sales force and marketing space)

Advice to Management

- The recent emphasis on creating an open, collaborative environment has made ZS a wonderful place to work
    - The firm-wide social networking site (ZSpace) is incredible and saves me hours on my projects. Someone always answers questions I post within just a few minutes!

3. "The Few, The Proud..."

Current Employee - Manager in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Evanston, IL

Pros

1. Top notch people
    2. Industry thought leadership
    3. High stability, even in an unstable world
    4. High client satisfaction and repeat rates
    5. Flexible work and low concept of "face-time"
    6. Intellectually stimulating and challenging
    7. Love to see the impact of my work on client organizations and their people

Cons

1. It's not for everybody (high number of people screened out)
    2. Recent focus on operational projects is an extension of the business but may not be what we all signed up for (this is being addressed, however)
    3. Less brand recognition outside of our core areas of focus

Advice to Management

Think hard about the profitability per employee at every level, and re-focus energy on those highly profitable employees/levels since turnover there is most risky.

"Awesome Place to Work At"

Current Employee - Consultant in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Evanston, IL

Pros

Opportunities to learn, grow and demonstrate your value are endless. Highly motivated and some of the best minds in the industry are your peers.

Cons

Work life balance goes out for a toss. Work and long hours can be taxing. This is not a place for everybody.

Advice to Management

Hire more people. Need to have more redundancy. While we are proud of how much each of us can stretch and accomplish, even a rubber band loses it's elasticity after a while.
    Need to be more considerate to the people and make proactive efforts to help employees in their work-life balance

5. "great place to work, bright future ahead for the company"

Current Employee - Business Associate in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Business Associate in Evanston, IL

Pros

great people and young company has potential to grow

Cons

office in evanston is a bit old

Advice to Management

none

6. "Closest to a meritocracy that I have seen"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Pros

The people - hands down the reason I am still here are the smart and caring people I work with
    The work - I enjoy what I do very much. I have had the chance to present to CEOs (as a consultant) and work primarily with Sr. Director / VP level. Not all projects are great but I feel that I can make a difference

Cons

Work hours can be long and depending on your office and focus, there can be more travel.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve on communication - it is easy to forget that not everyone is in senior managment meetings and understands what we are doing

7. "Helpful well paying summer internship"

Current Employee - Operations Research Associate Intern in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Operations Research Associate Intern in Princeton, NJ

Pros

Pays well, fast paced, lots of opportunities for career advancement. Great collaborative environment in which to learn from peers and management. Lots of exit opportunities at clients that often pay better than ZS initially. At clients, the upward mobility usually isn't as good as ZS.

Secure job. No layoffs in the company history that I know of.

Cons

Sometimes poor work-life balance. Upward mobility is more as a managerial path with technical aspects to it and less upward mobility in a technical role. ZS is restructuring somewhat their internal structure to correct this but I do not yet know the long term results.

Advice to Management

Most management is very good. There are, of course, a few people in management that don't place enough of a value on employee time as they should.

"I have found my home"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

1. Smart and humble people to work with
    2. Flexibility to innovate on projects
    3. I can get work life balance when I need it

Cons

1. You mant get as much exposure to industries outside pharma
    2. You may enjoy the work if you are not into analytics

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to needs of senior managers in the company.
    Consider additional incentives for employees who innovate to explicitly encourage it

9. "Great group of people - smart, very client-centric, deep expertise. Great to work with such top-notch people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Pros

Office culture and centricity is great - most of my projects have been done without me having to travel all over. Also really appreciate that the principals are practioners; they really know their stuff and are not just a sales force.

Cons

Hours can be long and unpredictable. Some risk of being locked in more singular industry (Pharma), although that seems to be changing. This is a place where there are a lot of really analytical people - some evidence of analysis/paralysis.

Advice to Management

Have seen lots more communication on vision and strategy in the last year - great!! Please keep it coming and expand it. Be more aware of work/life balance challenges.

10. "Smart People, Interesting work"

Current Employee - Summer Intern - Business Consulting in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Summer Intern - Business Consulting in Princeton, NJ

Pros

ZS Associates is an amazing place to work. Clients include top notch pharma/healthcare companies.

Majority of associates come from top tier colleges - UPenn, Princeton, Yale, Columbia, Cornell, Duke, Northwestern etc.

I worked as an intern over the summer. The people are extremely smart, friendly and approachable.

Unlike, some other companies where I have interned, all the interns were put on real projects.
    Lots of exposure to clients. Great on the job learning opportunities.

Cons

Long Hours - Some of the projects are extremely time demanding.

Though all the senior principles and associates principals are highly supportive of the associates and interns, they need to step up more and take interest in their project work and growth

Advice to Management

There needs to be better project allocation among consultants and managers as some of them were overly worked out.

Improve the cross-office staffing of projects.

Showing 1,492 of 1,523 reviews