ZS Associates Reviews in San Mateo, CA | Glassdoor

3.4
ZS Associates Managing Director Chris Wright
Chris Wright

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work culture and work life balance (in 137 reviews)

• Steep learning curve and good responsibilities early in the firm (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Not good Work-life balance; stagnant growth/learning after a point (in 455 reviews)

• Little long working hours but otherwise if you enjoy your work it won't seem so long :) (in 207 reviews)

1. "ZS Associates Review"

Current Employee - Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at ZS Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are friendly, culture is positive. Folks are helpful. Learning opportunities are abundant. Interaction with clients helps foster faster growth

Cons

No work life, leadership encourages hard work which has no control. Poor mentorship is certain cases

Advice to Management

Improve work life, innovate. Figure ways other than asking team to slog to make more margins

"Culture not ideal for everyone"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I worked at ZS Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, relocation, benefits. Option to work remotely whenever necessary. Very smart colleagues.

Cons

I did not fit in with the culture here. It was a mix of recent college grads and people who have been with the company 10+ years (for their entire career) and haven't experienced other corporate environments. I was lost somewhere in the middle and not staffed appropriately on projects. There is no support from managers - they are assigned to you on day one and I never met mine during my tenure. They try to make it a fun and engaging culture, but most people work on-site with a client, remote or are too over-worked to participate in outings/events.

The work is dry and you don't feel like you're making an impact on the client. My team was in flux and needed to work out their vision for the next few years before trying to hire for roles where they weren't sure of what skill sets they needed.

3. "Business Process Analyst"

Current Employee - Business Process Analyst in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at ZS Associates (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience and learning at the company

Cons

No work life balance
    Long hours

4. "Business Process Analyst"

Current Employee - Business Process Analyst in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at ZS Associates (More than a year)

Pros

Good exposure to pharma domain- data sources
    Opportunity to lead projects with clients
    People are friendly and are always willing to help

Cons

Handling the offshore team adds to longer working hours

5. "Intensive intro to business"

Former Employee - Business Associate in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Business Associate in San Mateo, CA

Pros

You'll learn a lot about the business world in a short amoung of time. Consultants and managers encourage new employees to take on more responsibilities as soon as they can handle it.
    Flexible on when and where you get your work done

Cons

Work can get dull/repetitive and pharma-heavy clientelle may not be interesting
    Marginal staffing leads to long hours at fairly unpredictable times
    Few opportunities to change to projects more closely aligned with your professional goals

Advice to Management

Recruit with a clearer explanation of what types of projects sales & marketing consulting entails and how it differs from broader management consulting firms. Create more dialogue and structure for junior employees to move to projects that match their background and interests

6. "Culture"

Current Employee - Business Analytics Associate in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analytics Associate in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at ZS Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All about the amazing culture

Cons

downtime and lack of diversity

Advice to Management

let people shop projects

"Such a let down"

Former Employee - Senior Business Process Analyst in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Process Analyst in San Mateo, CA

Pros

- The ZS brand value is great, especially when looking to switch careers
    - The people - not all, but some, especially the A's and AC's are cool people

Cons

Where do I begin.. so for context, I worked in the Business Technology track. The BT track is not ZS's forte. But it's currently the most profitable arm of the company. Which is a shame because of their limited focus and poor management.
    - As an Associate, I learned a few good skills around client and project management. But in return, I signed up for 16-20 hrs/day, working on the same exact things day in and day out. So monotonous, no scope to enhance your technical skills (which is ironic, considering it's the 'Technology' track), work with micro-managers at different levels (Consultants, Managers, APs) who have thrived at the company for years basically being nothing but paranoid and spreading the fear equitably.
    - When I joined, I was in a bad place personally so had to take a pay cut to join ZS from my previous employer (who was happy to pay more to keep me but I had to move states). The pay is utter BS (not market rates, atleast not from personal experience). In the last year, I've switched to a more rewarding and enriching job at a more fast paced company that pays me 100% more than what I made at ZS (no joke).
    - From what I've heard from fellow workers, this is not an isolated experience.

I can keep going on but I have never ever written online reviews before and I think I'm done now haha.

One more thing though - if you're looking to switch to ZS, do so with caution. Especially if you're joining at the Consultant level or lower.

Advice to Management

Umm.. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.. Nothing can be done to fix things unless they decide to do a complete revamp and start hiring quality data engineers and the likes from the US

8. "Review"

Current Employee - Business Process Consultant in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Business Process Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at ZS Associates full-time

Pros

People are really smart. Admin staff is really very helpful.

Cons

No work life balance. Monotonous work after a given time

Advice to Management

Find ways to keep your star performers engaged and retain the talent pool

"Only company that I have in my entire career"

Current Employee - Business Technology - Consultant in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Business Technology - Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at ZS Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People - home grown ZSers are amazingly smart.
    Learning opportunities - great options, you have to just express interest and an opportunity will present itself

Cons

Working hours are very very very bad
    Stress level are just too high
    Some of the IT managers, non home grown ZSers are not smart enough to work with
    Bonus is not good

Advice to Management

Bring more transparency to year end bonus calculation or how hike is determined

10. "Growing firm with good people"

Current Employee - Business Associate in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Business Associate in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at ZS Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Emphasis on positive office culture, smart and engaging people, broad capabilities, interesting projects, little/no travel

Cons

Subjective review process disguised as objective "competency" model, long hours for little pay (compared with other consulting firms), selling projects without having the human resources to support, staffing can be inflexible depending on your projects

Advice to Management

Make promotion/advancement based on performance, not length of time at firm. Stop staffing/hiring incompetent consultants

Showing 34 of 1,369 reviews