ZS Associates Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 1, 2021

3.9
ZS Associates Managing Director Chris Wright
Chris Wright
1,630 Ratings
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. Featured Review

"Company for Hardworking Smart Individuals"

Current Employee - Decision Analytics Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at ZS Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

ZS has a good culture and is full of very humble and hardworking individuals. Co-workers are curious and analytical by nature. My co-workers motivate me to do my best. The company has been supportive and flexible throughout my journey.

Cons

The workload is variable and can be very high at times. In general work-life balance can be hard to find. Consultants and managers are responsible for multiple workstreams, which can be hard to compartmentalize, with sometimes multiple items needing immediate attention.

2. "Great Company to work for"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Principal in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ZS Associates full-time

Pros

Focus on People , Deep Expertise , Entrepreneur culture , amazing progression and deep focus on innovation

Cons

Work life balance , selective industries

3. "Good money but horrible work life balance"

2.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Strategy Insights and Planning Associate in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at ZS Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Paid well, interesting people, good benefits

Cons

No work life balance, working extremely late nights and on weekends, clients are extremely demanding

4. "Great Place To Work"

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at ZS Associates full-time

Pros

Great people, great culture, learn a lot

Cons

typical consulting work life balance, somewhat limited exit ops if you want anything but healthcare

5. "Grueling hours, but solid experience"

Former Employee - Decision Analytics Associate in Princeton, NJ

I worked at ZS Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will learn amazing skills in a short period of time Great snacks

Cons

Absolutely no work-life balance. "Local consulting" model leads to lots of driving and commuting to clients Virtually no autonomy in choosing projects or clients

6. COVID-19

"Good first job post school; do not come here as an experienced hire"

2.0
    Current Employee - Strategy Insights and Planning Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ZS Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Strong engagement with pharma biotech -Some Partners / Principals are very intelligent and down to earth -A good place to get analytics experience -Young coworkers / fast-paced and high energy -Opportunity to own work and drive client engagements at relatively junior levels

Cons

-Work-life balance: ZS does fractional staffing so you will be supporting multiple lines of leadership which makes it more challenging because you have to appease more managers than you would on one massive full-time project at other firms. Junior employee commitments are often not respected or are with damage done to reviews You will have several late-night calls with a team in India that make it hard to make plans. - Monotonous work: ZS typically sells itself during recruiting as a consulting company that does a variety of projects, which is true. The issue is you are expected to basically do the same thing for a year, sometimes on one engagement with the same client to build 'expertise'. You are actively discouraged to have diversity in your work. ZS has minimal onboarding and the staffing model is really designed to provide augmented work to clients (i.e., consistently doing the work that analysts would have done for the client on a consistent basis rather than actual thought creation). If you have the expertise that you are coming with and want to leverage that (i.e., forecasting, or product launch), you will almost never have that opportunity. Staffing does not take previous experience into account which can lead to disgruntled hires. -Slower progression compared to other consulting firms, with many promotion cycles reaching 2.5Y to be considered 'normal', vs. 2 years at other consulting firms despite working similar hours. Changing teams almost always guarantees a 2.5-3 year promotion window, which discourages employees from seeking diversity in their work -Static and archaic culture: Some managers who transfer from overseas offices are tone-deaf to culture and nuances in the US which can result in bias both conscious and unconscious. Some principals have taken efforts to address but is not always consistently supported, so some employees feel uncomfortable and tolerate bullying Static culture: Leadership can seem stuck in their views. Attrition (pre-covid) was inching up, particularly in offices in Tier 1 cities (i.e., NY, SF) but efforts to address the cultural issues are often ignored when brought up. Hopefully, they are able to improve communication for employees in a safe way -Avoid teams that have almost no domestic employees as that may be a sign that everyone quits because of tone-deaf management, crazy clients, or oppressive/boring work (foreign transfers are often amazing at the work but have limited exit opportunities because of the difficulty transferring sponsored visas)

Continue reading

"Great for professional development"

4.0
    Current Employee - Strategy Insights and Planning Associate in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at ZS Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting work with challenges problems - I’m constantly learning and that is apart of the expectation of an associate. Every week is not the same for me depending on the project(s) I am on; this means heavier weeks but it’s also nice when I have lighter weeks. One of my favorite parts about being a ZSer is the people I am surrounded by - the group of associates I started with in the Princeton office are my friends today; although we are all working remotely, it is nice to have those connections and friends to eat lunch with virtually. I also enjoy working closely with my managers and leaders - this is truly a collaborate place where everyone has a voice and is apart of the projects.

Cons

Work-life balance is horrible (as with a majority of the consulting industry). It’s bad at ZS because of fractional staffing - you can be on two projects that are demanding and never see your bed. Employee benefits/recognition is low here - we have decent medical and dental insurance but not much else from the HR/people side.

Continue reading
  8. "No work/life balance"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at ZS Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of incentives including transport, food and other perks

Cons

No work/life balance. Politics in some of the teams play a great role in your growth.

9. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - BT Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at ZS Associates full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Highly competitive and good learning opportunities

Cons

Work-Life balance is not great

10. COVID-19

"Some good, some bad"

Current Employee - Strategy Insights & Planning Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at ZS Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Generally nice people Flexible with work from home Rock solid benefits Mentally-stimulating work Strong job security - no lay-offs from coronavirus and business is growing Good exit opportunities from consulting

Cons

Work-life balance is poor and has become worse during coronavirus - many teams expect you to be available 24/7 and work nights and weekends sometimes High pressure and nearly everyone is a perfectionist Most work is in pharma (could be viewed as a pro for some)

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,173 English Reviews