Zalando Data Scientist Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert Gentz

"Development, good coworkers"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Zalando full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good coworkers (both technically and personally speaking) - Innovation and use of latest technologies

Cons

- Overloaded with documentation and paperwork for engineering - A lot of internal processes - Management is changing its mind all the time and prevents being productive. This is changing in a very positive way just recently.

Zalando2019-11-07

"Great teams; interesting work; excellent culture"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Zalando full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My colleagues in the Dublin office (and beyond) make it a joy to come to the office. We work hard and take our jobs seriously, but every day comes with good humor, laughs, and jokes. It’s exciting to work on the cutting edge - to see these models make an impact on the business and our customers’ experiences; we’re using state-of-the-art data science to address real problems for the business.

Cons

We've gone through a few organisations shuffles and reshuffles that can be disruptive to day-to-day work. But things are much more stable now, thankfully.

Zalando2019-11-07

"Awesome place to work, lots of talent and interesting problems"

Current Employee - Senior Data Scientist in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Zalando full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance and great opportunities for professional development and growth. A lot of freedom in the technologies you use, provided they are fit for purpose. You are part of the full product life cycle, so you have a feeling of ownership, and you get to work in very interesting and state of the art problems. One of the strongest Data Science tech companies in Dublin. There are a lot of opportunites to learn new cool things and to upskill (they provide trainings both for soft and hard skills very often). Flexible working hours and possibility to work from home when needed. You get to work with really smart people, and the office environment is very friendly. Good pension scheme and health insurance provided. Totally recommend working here.

Cons

Missing some of the perks from other big tech competitors, such no lunch/dinner provided onsite, no gym.

Zalando2017-11-03

"Growth and changes"

Former Employee - Data Scientist in Berlin

I worked at Zalando part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I can give my review on the tech department. Huge tallent collection, possibility to pick up the tech stack one likes. Great people on board, tech infrastructure teams are helping. Challenging projects and constant strive for improvement. Interesting enough is a shared leadership model, where there is a dedicated lead to take care about you career. Vp seems to give enough push for innovation. Stock shares as perks for employees. Good vacation policy, 27 days and each year one spends in the company gives another +1 day. There is a way to take sabbatical leave. Huge nice infrastructure in tech buildings, ping pong, cosy chairs, some game stations and for young parents there is a day care. The team is relatively young,many young families. One can find a perfect life work ballance. No push to work extra hours, office time us quite liberal. Hack week event every year ( very fancy and fun). Team change is not a problem. If one wants to try out himself in a slightly different field, one can figure out it quite easily. Huge intercultural team!!! Extensive training programme for hard skills.

Cons

Company is still on it's way to find the right balance of processess and in transition from a start up to a corporation. This means too many changes: in your working space, in management, in product, in strategies. Understaffed first line management. Team autonomy and mastery pillars quite often hijacked or given without explanations. Many activities from the top management do not reach the actual teams. Poor support for sys ops topics, especially for Unix systems. Poor project management enterprise solutions. Changes are coming so fast one after another that there is no way to actually implement one change properly. Communication has improved a lot for the last year and it is still far from being optimal. Quite little number of female developers ( tech management). Poor soft skills trainings ( fast and dirty solutions). Very understaffed HR.

Advice to Management

Hire more mature first line management, tech skills are there, find those who can follow through and lead by example. Stop hijacking okrs or stop using okrs. Improve product vision.

Zalando2017-05-01

"Data Scientist"

Data Scientist in Berlin

I have been working at Zalando

Pros

- a lot of interesting real problem more than just analytics - hands-on experience on custom-facing product - developers are really really good, making a great team - team works in an autonomous and agile way - friendly colleagues - nice office, so many buildings in berlin

Cons

- the company has a very strong engineering culture and there is no clear career path for data scientist. - but if you are an engineer, you can have a good career path

Advice to Management

Well done, probably need more ambitious on the technology

Zalando2017-01-31

"Data scientist"

Data Scientist in Berlin

I have been working at Zalando

Pros

Small autonomous team gives freedom to teams to select their solution for the given problem.

Cons

Still didn't figure it out how to get the data scientists work with engineers

Zalando2016-12-18