Zalando Reviews | Glassdoor

Zalando CEO Robert Gentz
Robert Gentz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Low salary for the amount of work" (in 10 reviews)

• "workload sometimes a bit crazy but still manageable if you work hard, but some people struggle and I would balance it all a bit more" (in 5 reviews)

"Provide best customer services"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Zalando full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Provide discounts on products and benifits

Cons

One break time work to hard.

"Could be so much better"

Former Employee - Online Marketing
    Former Employee - Online Marketing

I worked at Zalando full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- 40% discount on the website
    - usual perks : free coffee, tea, soda; fruits

Cons

- no growth possible, your are basically encouraged to leave the company once you start feeling bored (I was told to look for a job elsewhere)
    - near impossible to change position internally despite zalando being such a big company with so many job offers
    - terrible mid-management made of people with no soft skills

Advice to Management

stop only thinking about rentability & corporate communications and spend some time actually trying to make your employees happy and give them chances to grow internally. You are not a start up anymore.

"worst place ever"

I worked at Zalando full-time

Pros

free fruit...when people weren't hoarding it

Cons

where do I even start? horrible and very disorganized management, toxic environment, failure to nurture ideas and talent, low salary, no real way to grow, etc.

"Challenging and extremely Stimulating experience"

Pros

When working at Zalando you have the possibility to learn and grow with a real hands on experience. You are responsible and owner of your tasks and able to cooperate with competent people to reach common clear company goals.

Cons

The company keeps a start up mindset which means that many processes are lacking. Often growth is “given” too quickly (and randomly) to young professionals that only matured little work/resources handling experience making leaders lacking some fundamental areas of competence, organization and leadership.

Advice to Management

Importance should be given also to processes to be respected in the long run as well as company vision to avoid continuous ups and downs and capitalize in the long run thanks to concreteness and constancy in all company aspects.

"Good life-work balance, but underpaid."

Current Employee - IT Audit Senior in Berlin (Germany)
    Current Employee - IT Audit Senior in Berlin (Germany)

I have been working at Zalando full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a great work environment, with awesome and smart people surrounding you. The global culture is something that I love.
    The flexibility to make the life easier, I have to work, study, workout and so on.
    The company also provided good spaces for having lunch, free drinks and freed fruits.
    Most of the offices are located on the East Side Gallery, a good place to work.

Cons

The salary is less than the market can offers.
    The influence of the leads and manager on your work are extremely strong on your daily work, so they can make it a nightmare or a dream.
    The number of iterations to have some easy and simple stuff done is sometimes too many, slowing down the speed of the work (too much).

Advice to Management

Try to get more benchmarks and apply to the company, because trying to reinvent the wheel usually doesn't bring good results.

"Recruitment"

Former Employee - Senior Talent Acquisition Manager in Berlin (Germany)
    Former Employee - Senior Talent Acquisition Manager in Berlin (Germany)

I worked at Zalando full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The opportunities at Zalando are endless. Its truly a great company. I stayed here for 4 years and had 3 opportunties here to help the business to achieve hiring goals across 3 teams, so saw many different sides to the business and grow enormously from this.

Zalando was high growth for nearly the whole time I was there and that's an exciting, fun, dynamic, fast paced place mixed with chaos.

Zalando is a company that has faults but its also one that recognises its shortcomings and looks to fix them. I love that spirit and honesty.

Personally, I've had great leaders in my time here who've supported my passions and helped me to better myself and adapt to new situations.

The thing I will miss the most is the people. Working in teams was awesome there. I got to learn from so many talents. Wow. Everyone was so helpful all the way throughout the company and it kind of feels bittersweet to leave as it was like a home from home.

A chaotic, fast paced, but lovable home :)

Cons

Leadership is something I know Zalando are addressing but its still a hangover from growing so fast and quickly.

Communication a the company is not great sometimes

I had 9 leads, and whilst I can personally take lessons from each one of them, I think 9 was too disruptive. (this was over a 4 year period with high growth in the business so some of it was inevitable.)

If you do not like fast paced change, its probably not the right fit for you.

Advice to Management

I would love to see more focus on internal hiring and promotions. We have some amazing talents at Zalando but the process was not so clear. Level up the experience for internals as much as we did for external hires.

Develop more leaders

Develop more Graduates (give back to the industry rather than harvest from other companies)

More diversity at leadership level! Its a very international and diverse company which I love, but it feels its not represented at the top amongst senior leaders.

7. "Working Student Buying"

I have been working at Zalando part-time

Pros

Great company culture and colleagues

Cons

No cons for this company

8. "Great to start your career, development opportunities are good, career progress is rather slow"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Berlin (Germany)
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Berlin (Germany)

I have been working at Zalando part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job Security, International Team, Highly passionate and skilled people, interesting jobs. Willingness to improve the status quo

Cons

Very inexperienced and insecure Leadership team that claims to be progressive but is too afraid to really try out innovative ways of doing business. Zalando has to feel the pain first before they learn.

Advice to Management

Check your privileges and become more critical with yourselves.

9. "Condition of work"

Current Employee - Datenerfasser/Lagermitarbeiter in Lahr/Schwarzwald (Germany)
    Current Employee - Datenerfasser/Lagermitarbeiter in Lahr/Schwarzwald (Germany)

I have been working at Zalando full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The condition of work here Zalando is great. Friendly staff and good overall organization.

Cons

I have not yet noticed anything wrong, the timing for work shift is not so convenient for people living outside Lahr.

Advice to Management

English should be introduced as one of the official languages at Zalando Lahr, as most of the staff and employee speak English.

10. "Marketing"

Former Employee - Junior Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Junior Marketing Manager

I worked at Zalando (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good environment and nice colleagues

Cons

Promotion possibilities are limited due to the program they have set up.