Found 99 of over 3K reviews
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
The latest conversations about Tech
Technical Account Manager
Being a woman in tech, I only recently started advocating for myself at work about advancement opportunities. Because of this I wanted to ask this question to my male counterparts. When you have 1:1's with your direct reports and talk about career growth / aspirations what is your managers’ response typically? I’d like to gauge how my experience (negative) differs from others. For instance are you met with blockades, enthusiasm, dread, etc?
Got a burning question about Zalando? Just ask!
On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Zalando employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Great colleagues and working cultures." (in 140 reviews)
- "People are nice and friendly" (in 95 reviews)
- "Great teams who are very passionate" (in 79 reviews)
- "Great culture and ambient; the relationship between teams is interesting; work peace is slow but steady." (in 67 reviews)
- "good work life balance 3" (in 65 reviews)
- "Low salaries and under staffed" (in 146 reviews)
- "management and training is poor" (in 55 reviews)
- "Poor leadership and lack of experience" (in 37 reviews)
- "I had a bad manager who laid me off without a justified reason." (in 27 reviews)
- "Low pay and they love to lowball people on salaries" (in 22 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Zalando and is not affected by filters.
- Sexual Orientation
- Parent or Family Caregiver
Reviews about "leadership"Return to all Reviews
- 4.0Dec 16, 2018Product ManagerCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsBerlin
Great culture, great place for self-starters
Somehow the company cannot seem to stick to one thing for more than a few months (for example changing the 'culture' mottos every few months) Leadership is often inexperienced and learned most of the skills at the company5
- 2.0Mar 10, 2020Product ManagerCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearBerlin
Zalando has fairly competitive pay for tech roles. You also get 40% discount on most items in the shop.
Poor leadership and lack of strategy. Very hierarchal and people just execute on what they think the higher-ups want without thinking about if it is a problem worth solving or the business impact. It is more important to look good, than to do good things. Very political and does not live their cultural values. Going through a huge change with a lack of leadership and strategy which leads to increased amounts of politics. Not a culture that favours high performance. Quality of talent is mediocre.7
- 3.0Jun 24, 2019Planning ManagerCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearBerlin
Really nice atmosphere, cool office, employee discount, nice work-life balance, lots of opportunities to learn.
there is no such thing as flat hierarchy. There is a very clear 'discrimination' of job grades: you are not invited to many meetings (sometimes not even allowed to go), which reduces your chances of exposing yourself and getting credit for your work. I delivered a lot of great, deep analysis (I know that because my lead told me so), that were used in several meetings, presented (only I did get to do so), and useful to business decisions. It is a recurring feeling of being used: you just give and you only find out you did great, if you insist (and I mean it) on asking it. Leadership is unprepared and not enough developed. This company is every men and women for himself/herself.6
- 1.0Sep 13, 2023Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 5 yearsBerlin
The company has an open culture between employees where the majority are kind and respectful with an open mind.
The management at multiple levels from senior leadership down to head level are highly unqualified and unable to deliver on the company strategy. They are running the business into the ground with years of restructuring, highly complex ways of working and no accountability or ownership. This creates an extremely toxic environment and will likely lead the company to more layoffs in the coming years and further failures.5
- 5.0Aug 8, 2023Product ManagerFormer EmployeeDublin, Dublin
Cool data-science focused products and good access to leadership
Occasionally slow in adoption of new candidate technologies and products.Zalando Response2mo
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the community. We’re glad you enjoyed your time at Zalando and wish you all the best in your new opportunity. - Talent Acquisition Team
- 1.0Mar 9, 2022Senior DesignerFormer EmployeeBerlin
Development and training, if you get time to do them that is Young environment Fast to promote Exposure Berlin is a great place to live
Toxic environment Extremely high workload Chaotic, in a bad way Poor leadership and lack of experience Burnout culture5Zalando Response2y
Thank you for leaving us a review and sharing your experience with the community. The described culture is not what we strive to have at Zalando and within our teams as it goes against our values and high standards. We have since shared your feedback with Leadership and the People and Organization team who are investigating in order to drive improvement where needed. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors. - Talent Acquisition Team
- 3.0Dec 13, 2022Working StudentCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearBerlin
Very diverse and progressive workforce as well as leadership
The pay is very low, especially for internationals in comparison to GermansZalando Response8mo
Thank you for leaving us a review and sharing your experience with the community. We are glad to hear that you appreciate our diverse and progressive teams. What you describe goes against our values and high standards at Zalando. For us, diversity is a crucial driver for innovation and success. We specified our shared values and standards in our Code of Ethics (https://corporate.zalando.com/en/about-us/zalando-code-ethics). To prevent violations and to react to them in an adequate manner, we offer different channels for both employees and externals to report possible violations, including a Whistleblower Tool (https://www.whistleblowing-zalando.de/). - Talent Acquisition Team
- 4.0Nov 26, 2019Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsBerlin
Enormous opportunities for impact, chance to work on projects/have conversations at eye level with top management. Interesting intellectual challenges, great colleagues, flexible working hours, emphasis on work/life balance. Leadership is often open to criticism and is not afraid to change what isn't working.
- Performance management process lacks transparency, is overly cumbersome, and makes no sense..specifically when it comes to salary allocation + promotion. - Some managers are extremely (almost comically) risk averse - this is extremely annoying and often leads to decision paralysis. - Compensation structure quite one-dimensional unless you are a top performer or in management.1
- 4.0Sep 18, 2020Marketing ManagerCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearBerlin
They truly live the company values and the emphasis on sustainability and D&I makes you proud to work there. There is a lot to learn and space to grow in a fast paced environment.
Poor leadership is not dealt with properley and the correct systems are not set up to assist teams with related issues such as this.