Cover image for Zalando

Zalando

Engaged Employer

Zalando

Add a Review

Zalando Employee Reviews about "low salary"

Updated Sep 30, 2021

Found 162 of over 2K reviews

3.8
Zalando CEO Robert Gentz
Robert Gentz

What people are saying about Zalando

Join the conversation on

Tech

638.4K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Zalando~613421
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Zalando? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Zalando employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great colleagues and working cultures.(in 127 reviews)
  • "People are nice and friendly(in 86 reviews)
  • "Great teams who are very passionate(in 70 reviews)
  • "Great culture and ambient; the relationship between teams is interesting; work peace is slow but steady.(in 58 reviews)
  • "Work life balance was good(in 53 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "low salary"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Awesome company to work

Feb 3, 2020 - Senior Data Engineer in Berlin
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice pay Lots of opportunities to learn new stuff Zalando vouchers for employees

Cons

People-services team needs improvement. Be ready for ambiguity in salary due to incorrect tax class for first 3 months. Although the money deducted will get reimbursed in full after 3 months.

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Former Employee

Okay for 6 months

Jul 28, 2015 - Intern in Berlin
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice colleagues and lots of social activities. Great location of the office. Interesting projects to work with. Cultural diversity.

Cons

A lot of gossip about salary and benefits - it seems like they always try and cheat you to the lowest possible salary. No flexibility in working hours (only in few of the departments). Little respect for life outside work. Always struggling with the HR department.

11 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Zalando team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Terrible company that doesn't pay its employees and exploits immigrants

Jul 19, 2021 - Customer Service Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

I honestly have nothing positive to say. I feel sorry for some of the nice people who are stuck working here.

Cons

- The company does not pay their workers on time. My salary was not paid to me for 2 months and I was told by Human Resources every time that I would receive it next month. Seriously! How am I supposed to eat and survive if you don't pay me my salary and you tell me to wait! - The company is extremely disorganized. Nobody has a clue as to what is going on. - The company exploits many foreigners and immigrants who are desperate to come to Germany by paying them a terrible unlivable salary. - They pay extremely low and way below the market average. - They lied to me about what the position actually is. What I had to do is nothing like what they told me in the job interviews. - The recruitment process took over 3.5 months. - The company is obsessed with brainwashing everyone with useless and pointless diversity training and told me I could no longer use the words 'guys' & 'girls'. - This is the worst place I have ever worked. Please stay far away from this place.

7 people found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

The biggest benefit: keeping your job during struggling times

Apr 12, 2021 - Internal Communications Manager in Berlin
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company does well, and they communicate results to the employees. They allow employees to take home their work chairs, sometimes the desks (you need a note from the doctor justifying this) and hardware (extra monitor). You can get company shares.

Cons

There are no tangible benefits other than the company shares and 40 euros we receive per month to cover some expenses of working from home. Workload is impossible to manage within the 8 hours we should work per day, so it's very common to have meetings scheduled out of the working hours. The feedback system is still the same as 2 years, reporting on colleagues' behaviour every 6 months, without triggering any real action if the person is middle management or above. Whenever there is a feedback round, people usually end up working on the weekends to cover the time spent on evaluations or meetings. Salary increases are based on these reviews, but also on the budget each particular team has. So you can never expect to have a real salary increase over 3% unless you were really very low already.

6. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Ok in some things, poor in the other

Aug 10, 2022 - Software Engineer in Berlin
    Business Outlook

Pros

40% discount on apparel sold by the company. Mostly nice people to work with and rather friendly, international working environment. Voluntary hybrid working model till the end of 2022.

Cons

Poorly copied Amazon culture and hiring process. Company's principles are a facade - no one really commits to them or treats them seriously. Low salaries, especially on junior positions. Zalando punishes loyalty and experience. Growth opportunities inside the company are non-existent, as it fully focuses on external hiring instead. Big salary gaps between the existing employees and new hires on the same levels. Tolerance for language referring to gender, race, age, sexual orientation or physical appearance, which in any other reputable company would result in an immediate termination, e.g. 'heterosexual white males'. Gender bias, both in hiring and internal trainings (women are preferred). Company openly admits to 'positive discrimination' (discrimination is discrimination whether you call it “positive” or not).

4 people found this review helpful

Zalando Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Many thanks for bringing this to our attention. We take what you say very seriously as the described behavior is not what we strive to practice at Zalando and goes against our values and high standards. We have shared your feedback with leadership and our People and Organization team who are investigating the case in order to drive improvement where needed. We would very much appreciate your help with this and invite you to share further feedback via our anonymous whistleblower tool (https://www.whistleblowing-zalando.de). - Talent Acquisition Team

7. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Company great, salary not

Oct 7, 2020 - Teamlead in Berlin
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company with a great drive

Cons

The higher the better can be very exhausting. Salary for people who are for a long time in the company are worse than for beginners. This is not the right way to keep the ones who knows the company in the best way.

2 people found this review helpful

Employer Branding Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your personal experience. We are really glad to hear you highlight Zalando as a company with great drive. Offering fair compensation to our employees is also very important to us. We regularly review our salary bands by benchmarking against comparable companies and business sectors in order to offer competitive compensation to our talents and appropriate compensation for their work. We are committed to keeping our promise to employees and pay everyone in line with their role fulfilment as evaluated through our annual talent reviews. We wish you all the best and hope you will continue to enjoy being part of Zalando's journey!

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

overall depends on the team

Oct 15, 2021 - BI Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Team work, 40% off on zalando items, workload fits to 8 hours and working processes are good

Cons

developement opportunities and processes in place in order to develop are not the best. Salary increase not easy

Zalando Response

Hey Zalando! Thank you for your review! We appreciate your positive feedback. If you have any suggestions for improvement, please feel free to send us an email at eb@zalando.de. We can assure you anonymity and will not share any personal data. Best, - Talent Acquisition Team

9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Good

May 10, 2022 - Junior Software Engineer in Berlin
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice environment and good team mates

Cons

Berlin is very crowded and could have given more salary

Zalando Response

Hey There! Thank you very much for your positive review. We’re pleased that you enjoy the working environment and team! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Best, - Talent Acquisition Team

10. 4.0

zalando junior controller

Jan 11, 2021 - Junior Controller in Berlin
    Business Outlook

Pros

environment, lots of cool people, discount, company culture

Cons

no extra hour salary and lots of extra work

11. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Severely low salaries for people from developing countries

Dec 18, 2017 - Software Engineer, Backend
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Relaxed work environment - Diverse international coworkers.

Cons

- Severely low compensation. I am originally from a developing country. I have nearly a decade of experience in software industry with 3 years in a Big-N american corporation. Before joining zalando, my salary in my home country was 10% lower than what zalando was giving me. But cost of living in Germany is 80% higher than in my home country. If I am from a developing country, it doesn't mean that I will accept low salary. It was very easy for me to find a job within germany with higher salary than what zalando was giving me. The relocation bonus provided by a good software company in my home country is nearly 2000 Euros + flight tickets for the whole family and that too for the relocation within county. But zalando provided me 1000 euros relocation bonus, flight tickets included and that too for transcontinental relocation - its almost laughable. - Ethnicity based Salaries. Salaried are based on ethnicity rather than experience. People from certain ethnicities with 2-3 years of experience (with no experience from Big-N corporations) were getting paid as much as I was. - Certain coworkers used to constantly bad mouth my county right in front of me, during lunch. One particularly belligerent german coworker even scolded me once (without provocation and in a rather loud voice) to not to replicate the bad behaviour of my countrymen. I pointed out to him that a famous german car company cheated in US and got punished by the US justice department but I don't assume that every german is a cheater.

40 people found this review helpful