KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Zalando

Is this your company?

Zalando

Add a Review

Zalando Employee Reviews about "team lead"

Updated Oct 19, 2020

Found 15 of over 1,419 reviews

3.9
Zalando CEO Robert Gentz
Robert Gentz
Pros
  • "innovation friendly fresh new good working environment(in 61 reviews)

• "Work-life balance is totally achievable, and you feel supported by your lead at all times(in 53 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Low salary for German standards(in 27 reviews)

• "My Team lead salary was 70K or less(in 19 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "team lead"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Know what you get into

Oct 19, 2020 - Financial Controller in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of young colleagues, great to get to know fun people when you move to Berlin for the first time

Cons

Pay is under average, Zalando knows they can pay less to the more junior employees (everything below Team Lead / C8) as they are getting flooded with applications from people all over Europe that desperately want to move to Berlin, the internal feedback tool zonar is being praised as a great 360° feedback tool when in reality it is an easy way for them to not give you a raise (do some google research and you will easily find out more about this tool)

3 people found this review helpful

Employer Branding Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback and being part of our Zalando journey for 3 years. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed working with our great colleagues and got the opportunity to meet a lot of people through our Zalando network. We are also dedicated to continue improving and appreciate you sharing your thoughts on how we can do that. We acknowledge that there are different styles and experiences with our internal feedback mechanisms and we are always trying to improve our internal tools. In addition, we are working on strengthening our performance and growth culture by emphasizing the importance of meaningful feedback and development conversations. Regular talent reviews allow the leadership team to gain insights into the talent base and agree on ways to foster growth and development for talents. At Zalando, offering fair compensation to our employees is also very important to us. We regularly review our salary bands by benchmarking against comparable companies and business sectors in order to offer competitive compensation to our talents, and we believe our salary bands are fair. We are committed to keeping our promise to employees and pay everyone in line with our internal salary scheme. That being said, we would love to learn more about your personal experience and understand how we could improve even more as an organisation. If you'd like to have a further discussion, please feel free to reach out to me directly: Andrea Raid via email andrea.raid@zalando.de

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

The best place I’ll probably ever work

Apr 10, 2020 - Senior Merchandise Planner in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Management board who are very clear on the direction of the company and who put a big emphasis not only on the customer and partners but also their employees. They are very transparent in their communication e.g ‘ask us anything’ sessions. “One Zalando”. Great culture - even though it’s a huge company there is still a start up feel. Extremely international company, very diverse and inclusive. A lot of career development opportunities with the option to move horizontally or into a different field if you don’t feel you’re on the right path. As a merchandiser I find the systems and data are extremely advanced - with tech being such a huge part of the company.

Cons

Whilst I have huge respect and high confidence in the leadership of the management board including the SVPs, the leadership and transparency of the VP / head of / team lead levels is inconsistent and sometimes lacking and often a lot of big egos competing with each other which goes against the company culture. The only other con is that I will not work for Zalando long term because I will move back to the UK.

1 person found this review helpful

Employer Branding Specialist

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review! We really appreciate hearing about your personal experience in this role and are glad to know you have enjoyed our international, diverse and inclusive working environment. We are dedicated to continue improving and appreciate you sharing your input on how we can do that. We wish you all the best!

3. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Worst company to work for

Jul 14, 2020 - Buying Assistant in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Making Friends Free cold drinks Free coffee

Cons

Team lead is very aggressive and put too much pressure to deliver in a short period of time. If you do not be-friend your team lead, it will affect your future development in the company because Zalando has an open feedback software called Zonar where the team lead has all the control over your outcome and promotion. It will take you a long time to even get promoted and the pay is very low. I would keep away from this company unless you want to join a toxic environment

7 people found this review helpful

Employer Branding Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We strive to offer a great work experience for every employee at Zalando and take comments by our former and current employees very seriously so we can continue to improve. I’d specifically like to address your concerns regarding our performance evaluation process and favoritism in leadership. At Zalando, our performance evaluation process is constantly evolving with the help of our employees’ feedback. We use 360 degree feedback as a basis for supporting the growth journey of every employee and for making decisions on promotions. People & Organization facilitates discussions following a structured approach based on our performance models and the 360 feedback, aiming to ensure a fair and objective performance evaluation. With our regular talent reviews, our leadership team is looking into our talent base to identify promotion ready colleagues and agree on concrete talent measures to foster growth and development. As talent mobility is very important for us, we have two performance evaluation rounds per year where employees receive all-round feedback and the opportunity to be promoted. We strive to build a culture in which our talents can flourish and leads take ownership of talent development, following our leadership principles outlined in Our Founding Mindset. We are doing our best to hold leads accountable and to role model these principles. In addition to that, we are investing heavily in leadership development. In Category Management, new leaders and leaders with approximately 1-2 years experience can participate in monthly training sessions and workshops on different leadership topics to strengthen their skills. Furthermore, we are currently rolling out various leadership development programs for managers with different levels of experience. We also believe in growth through meaningful feedback. Therefore, every lead in Category Management participates once a year in a Leadership Team Feedback session - a toolkit to have structured feedback conversations between leaders and their teams. This gives teams the chance to openly share their feedback and enables the leadership team to gain insights into the way they are perceived by their team members, derive concrete actions and create a basis for follow-up measures. We are sorry to hear about your experience with us but we wish you all the best for your career. If you'd like to have a further discussion, please feel free to reach out to me directly (Sandra Dobiosch, P&O Business Partner, via email sandra.dobiosch@zalando.de).

4. 4.0

A nice Environment. A Horrible way to Have raises

Oct 1, 2019 - Software Developer in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is the best company I ever worked in .. in terms of life work balance. and diversity and team bounding

Cons

The management failure will be paid from your time always.. all teams I worked in , had huge failure (which is norma) but It was always the employees who paid for that mistakes.. I didn't got promoted for 3 years in a row although they say I deserve it.. but cause of teams flops I have to wait another year.. and another .. and another.. if you need to be a unicorn to get promoted .. and you need to get promoted if you want a descent raise.. Zalando in general one of lowest salaries range on the market.. My Team lead salary was 70K or less .. and he was shocked when he knew that I have an offer with more that he got from smaller company.

4 people found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

The chaos of a startup combined with the politics of a big company

Oct 2, 2019 - Team Lead in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Some nice people - Good way to start your network in a new city - Nice new offices

Cons

- "Employer branding" department writes fake positive reviews on Glassdoor - No clear vision for the future - Mediocre leadership that is scared of high performers - Lack of attention to detail both on the design and engineering side - Groupthink - Low pay and they love to lowball people on salaries - No bonus structure or equity - No loyalty: they will fire people 6 months after they moved across the world for this job, leaving them stranded in a foreign country with no job Zalando tries to mimic the surface-level behaviors of Silicon Valley tech companies, like having daylong job interviews, nice looking offices, and the basic hierarchical structures. But the people working here are no Silicon Valley leaders: They don’t try hard to push the limits of what’s possible, they don’t spend their money in the right places and they don’t value innovation and dissent. The so-called “team leads” at Zalando would not be team leads in Silicon Valley. They also don't try to mimic some of the better perks of Silicon Valley companies like unlimited PTO, free food, stock options and transportation. This is a standard closed-minded German company trying to imitate what they think Silicon Valley culture is, from the few blog posts they've read about what it's like. This is a second-league sports team pretending to be in the champions league.

10 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0

Good atmosphere, lots opportunities

May 15, 2020 - Anonymous in Bernau bei Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of responsibilities from higher level, good working atmosphere, discounts

Cons

Workload, team leads have very different workflow rules within the team. the career chances depends on the situation

2 people found this review helpful

Employer Branding Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and hope you will continue enjoying working at Zalando!

7. 1.0
      Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Sap consultant

Jan 18, 2020 - Senior SAP Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fruits, many building to lose time and connection

Cons

Horrible management in FS. They hire to fire. They do not care about people, just want to create an empire where the SD could escalate and plays with the employees. I had 0 mentoring from the team lead. Please be careful.

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Current Employee

Guter Arbeitgeber

Sep 18, 2019 - Senior Merchandise Planner in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Team; Training offer; Ownership, always something to do; Company values ; HQ; Homeoffice

Cons

sometimes too may changes; many team lead changes; high workload;

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

I had a good time, my partner not so much

May 8, 2019 - Customer Care Specialist in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

My team was great, wonderful team leads and good working environment.

Cons

My partner also found work at Zalando, but her experience was not as good as mine. She applied for the job, but wasn't called to an interview. I accidentally found out one day that the HR team had booked an interview with her, but had forgotten to write or call her to notify her. She obviously couldn't make it on time as the interview was 30 mins later, but managed to reschedule the interview. After the interview she was told the HR department thought she suited the job, only to find out a couple of days later that the company now had a hiring freeze. She eventually found another job and started working there. Four months later the HR department contacted her again, and said that the freeze was over, and that she was on the top of the list of candidates. They asked her if she could start working April 1st, and she agreed. She then went on to resign from the other job she had managed to secure, and waited for April 1st to arrive. A few days later HR got in touch, only to explain the start date had to be pushed 6 weeks into the future. She was now forced to go unemployed for a month, all because of the HR department. Eventually she started working at the office, only to find that her team had a highly toxic working environment where colleagues went behind each others' backs and trash talked each other to the team leads, resulting in people being fired for dreamed-up reasons. My girlfriend unfortunately got sick a lot during her first months, and was eventually fired. It's illegal in Germany to fire someone because their sick leave ratio is too high, so instead she was told that she didn't comply with company processes and was to slow at work. Just a week earlier she had received praise from a superior for her skills, which proves she was fired on false grounds. Additionally to this, they told her that her skills were insufficient for someone who had worked there for 6 months, when she had in fact only been with the company for 5 months (remember the HR department postponing her entry-date?). A horror show of management. And I haven't even started to talk about how different teams were given different treatment by management. I'll let someone else tell that story.

10 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0

Controller

Jan 2, 2020 - Controller in Berlin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Positive: building, activities, international

Cons

Negative: team leads, promotions process

4 people found this review helpful