Zales Jewelers Reviews | Glassdoor

Zales Jewelers CEO Theo Killion
Theo Killion

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper Management was terrible and had no idea what the sales process was (in 22 reviews)

• Long hours, no scheduled lunch breaks, understaffed, they keep cutting commissions (in 8 reviews)

1. "Genuinely like it here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Penn, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Penn, PA

I have been working at Zales Jewelers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good solid leadership, great product, lots of growth potential

Cons

Procedure changes recently, lower starting pay

Advice to Management

Increase starting wage offer to ensure higher quality employees.

2. "Assistant Manager"

I worked at Zales Jewelers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team environment was very positive and there is a balance between family and work.

Cons

High Turnover and Lack of Leadership

Advice to Management

Higher pay for quality associates and support from corporate office.

3. "Sales consultant"

I worked at Zales Jewelers part-time

Pros

Awesome discount for jewelry, great gain in knowledge.

Cons

No room to grow unless you go in to interview for the position desired

Advice to Management

Delegate, zales cut out the office assistant position, is best if you delegate.

4. "Jewelry Consultant"

Current Employee - Jewelry Consultant
    Current Employee - Jewelry Consultant

I have been working at Zales Jewelers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Connections with customers
    Great relationships with co workers
    Flexible schedule holiday pay
    Amazing jewelry to look at and sell
    Very Professional environment

Cons

Commission is low
    Meeting sales/warranty/repair/credit goals are insane
    Shady management
    Not all jewelry is made to be secure
    Issues with repair shop

Advice to Management

Open communication
    Be honest

5. "Probably the worst retail environment."

I have been working at Zales Jewelers part-time

Pros

Guaranteed on time pay, available hours, meeting nice people and making new friends.

Cons

The pay/commission structure is very low. I believe one of the lowest in retail. The standards they require are absolutely redicilous! Especially considering the pay. Plus there is absolutely no appreciation shown for employees who go above and beyond. This is why I only work for the company part time. Plus all the negative press that Signet sends our way, the harder it makes life for all of us.

Advice to Management

It's not just about meeting your standards. Running a store has a lot of day to day operations to keep it going. If you want to keep quality people from leaving, start by showing us some respect!

6. "Job hunters beware"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Zales Jewelers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

On time pay is the only thing to count on here.

Cons

Commission is a joke...starting off at .25%...the expectations and goals are un realistic compared to the pay rate.The company pushes soliciting over the phone for there form as advertising as many people do not like calls at home.

Advice to Management

Stop the work place bullying ...a manager should be there to support and not be your competition... Advice to senior management..managers should be monitored more closely as some abuse their power.

7. "Jewelry Consultant"

Former Employee - Jewelry Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Jewelry Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Zales Jewelers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's ok for having a first job!

Cons

Low Wages. Low Comissions. 0.25%
    Poor Company Policies: Policies for returns, HR,...

8. "They keep finding new ways to cut commissions. Can't make a living there. I have been there 3 yrs."

Pros

Good health insurance. That's about it for pros. They want 20 words so I am just trying to fill the space. Not many pros here.

Cons

Long hours, no scheduled lunch breaks, understaffed, they keep cutting commissions. When sales are slow they cut full timers back to only 30 hours per week. Then get mad because we can't make sales goals. Constantly on your back, even when you can't make sales goals because NO ONE IS COMING IN THE STORE! They write you up for that.

Advice to Management

The managers are not always the most honest people. And minority managers show a lot of favoritism to minority workers. If you're not a minority, you will never be promoted

9. "Terrible DMs"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Zales Jewelers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Store Manager was awesome and so were the people I worked with.

Cons

Upper Management was terrible and had no idea what the sales process was.

Advice to Management

Get some real world sales training.

"Worst job ever worked with no opportunity for growth with extremely low base."

Former Employee - Jewelry Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Jewelry Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Zales Jewelers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for zales was a great experience to learn what i never want from an employer. I was able to build relationships with employees who I'VE TRAINED (was good enough to train others but not good enough for a higher pay or position ) over the 4 and a half years i was employed with zale corp have became close family with. Although i am writing a bad review i must say you work all the hours you want! But off the clock and no over time. There were days i would work 8 days straight while working 11 hour shifts but only clocked in for 8. But was givin the option to stay off the clock to help guests and make more sales, Since the hourly base was low and i was great at the art of selling beyond the company standards i figured i would stay to make more money ignoring the fact i was slaving over a company who i was only a number to. The manager would place me with all mew hires so i can train while the manager would come in and compete in sales with the staff. Rules on sales are not black amd white but up to discression. Over the course of my career at zales i have sold over a million dollars in merchandise in 2 locations which i was told i wasn't good enough for, which not everyone can achieve. Time off is even a hassle when the manager is taking time off every other week. Very high turn around with this company but no one knows why?

Cons

No culture no respect no opportunity to grow unless you were in jewelry sales in the 90's they'll consider you for maybe a key holder or maybe you'll have to fight for a raise... I've asked former employees about raises. They either never received one or if they did it was pennies on the dollar. Like 2-3 cent raise. Sell more to make more is there motto. So i took the option and i worked over 120 hours of overtime off the clock because i wanted to make more money. Zales you should look into this before writing a response. Oh and they fired me for following a process taught to me by my manager which was returning money to a guests credit card over the phone. Since she takes credit card numbers over the phone for purchases to guests all the time and shes had me take credit card payements over the phone i figured this was an approved process since it was a recurring practice in the store.
    But it was the best thing to happen to me since now i make double and work half the hours. Thank you zales!

Advice to Management

Watch your employee's dont have others do it for you. Schedule yourself with the weakest asset in the store and YOU make them better not your best performer. That slows them down and makes them look like they aren't there for sales but to train. If your staff does not go to you for guidance or knowledge than you are doing something wrong! It is management's responsibility to stay if another sales associate calls out not call in the peraon who just left to come back to close. Advice is to start listening to these reviews and make change. A 2.3 rating for any company good or bad ia embarrassing.
    Thank you for the opportunity to learn what i never want to run into with any organization.