Zales Reviews | Glassdoor

Zales CEO Theo Killion
Theo Killion

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management provides no support (in 15 reviews)

• You have to understand how to find work-life balance, but it is possible (in 7 reviews)

"Jewelry consultant"

I have been working at Zales full-time

Pros

None, nothing, no, nada, absolutely a waist of time

Cons

Nothing worse than working in a place where you feel out of place and taken advantage of, with no opportunity to grow and no increase in wages, where managers take sides, are instigators and are part of the problem instead of the solution

Advice to Management

Is a waste of time to give advice to people who don't understand what's the difference between right or wrong, and in a place of work where harrasment complaints are not taken seriously for what they are

2. "Horrible manager"

Current Employee - Jewelry Consultant in Port Richey, FL
    Current Employee - Jewelry Consultant in Port Richey, FL

I have been working at Zales full-time

Pros

Putting a smile on guests face.

Cons

Disrespectful manager who steals sales,turns employees against eachother and curses off her staff when they need help with a guest

"Jewelry Consultants do everything"

Former Employee - Jewelry Consultant

I worked at Zales full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great customer relationships, great coworkers, decent discount 20%, commission

Cons

management is a joke, disctrict managers call every day, personal sales and credit goals, no room for growth, you feel like you are scamming people into buying jewelry. The jewelry is not one of a kind but we convince customers to think that. Do not buy special reserve items, they are not made properly, always breaking.

Advice to Management

Do not hire managers based on selling ability, they need management qualities. This job is a joke.

4. "Not the greatest."

I have been working at Zales full-time

Pros

It was a very simple hiring process.

Cons

Job-duties could be more efficient for time and customer experience, management/training was poor, were not flexible to meet other's needs.

"Terrible store and upper management"

Former Employee - Jewelry Consultant

I worked at Zales part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discounts were decent. The other JCs were friendly. Always looking for new employees. Could possibly be a fun environment. The customers that came in were usually pleasant. Chance to learn about jewelry.

Cons

Signet brand includes Kay, Jared, Zales, Gordon, piercing pagoda.

Very high turn over for sales associates and direct management.

Such high goals that are not easy to obtain especially when you have a store manager that steps on your toes and take your sales with a customer away from you.

Got interviewed for full time and wasn't until after I got hired I was told I'd be part time for a few months then guaranteed full time. Worked full time hours but still part time in the system so never got paid for the holidays.

Management was absolutely terrible, not only at the store level but the upper level as well. Had a store manager that was all about themself and didn't care about anything else, except making their low goal. When their goal was obtained wouldn't even care where their other JCs goals were and would just keep selling. Only wanted to sell when someone set down at bridal, which was a big ticket item. Wouldn't give us our goals until 3 days before our goals were due at the end of that month. Had a manager that was hostile, arrogant, condensing, very inappropriate, sexist, LAZY, blamed others for their mistakes and immature.

Be careful when you apply, make sure everything is up front about goals and what the other JCs usually bring in. When given an offer for employment make sure when they say you can make up to $60,000. That is depending on how the store is trending in sales. Commission is only .0025 percent which is very low. You would make the most on warranties. If you don't make your 3 out of 5 standards on a regular basis when your store is slow you get looked at as next in line to get as they call it "re career pathed" so they let you go.

HR and other relevant departments are impossible to get a hold of, and if you do finally talk to someone, they are incompetent.

No chance for pay raises. It's only if you decide to leave that you might get more money than when you started, but had hidden stipulations they won't tell you until it's too late.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better, and don't threaten them with consequences or administrative reprimand unless they have done something wrong.

6. "Do yourself a favor!No career here!!!"

I have been working at Zales full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and a great team in the store. DM is really cool and empathetic but anyone above him are pressuring him to write and terminate managers and sales staff

Cons

Everything, no work life, Jewelry consultants start at .25% commission. its retail !!!

Advice to Management

they are not listening nor will they listen. Need to update this. Zales is owned by Signet and different CEO. Theo Killion resigned when Signet bought out Zales over 3years ago

7. "Jewelry Consultant"

I have been working at Zales full-time

Pros

I am currently looking for another job, since opportunities and better commission structure are unavailable

Cons

Commission structure was changed. I can make my sales goal, but if the store doesn't meets its goal I will not get pay commission for what I sold. Your experience doesn't matter when it's time for promotion. Being a full time means you have no flexibility when it comes to scheduling, only partimers get that privilege, specially if they are friends with upper management.

Advice to Management

I am currently looking for another job, where there is more opportunities to be successful. Managers should not be able to hire friends and offer privileges to them that others cannot have. Promotions should take in consideration the hard work of employees, their performance, as well as their past experiences.

8. "Store manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Zales full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced, engaging, and the ability to be a part of guest's special moments

Cons

Non existent work/ life balance
    Lack of advancement for women
    Senior management focused on holding consultants accountable instead of addressing root causes and building teams up through focused coaching.

Advice to Management

Get into the stores and talk to the people working in your stores every day. Find out what is happening and adjust the strategy to keep moving forward from their feedback. No one knows the guest or the business better than the people running it.

"Lazy Management, Rude coworkers"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Effingham, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Effingham, IL

I worked at Zales part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learning about the jewelry was fun and interesting. I loved being around all the jewels and it was fun to try things on. Good discount on jewelry.

Cons

Really low pay. Lazy management. Poor training/no training. Rude coworkers. Couldn't ask questions without being treated like an idiot for asking a question. Poor upkeep/dirty store. Didn't change the jewelry cleaning solution for 3 days..it got so dirty I changed it myself, and I was the newest employee. No real helpful information from fellow staff. Boring job.

Advice to Management

Train your employees better. Take an active interest in the knowledge your employees are obtaining. Keep your store cleaner. Don't be rude or talk about fellow employees behind their backs.

10. "Terrible Store"

Former Employee - Jewelry Consultant in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Jewelry Consultant in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Zales full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vacation time is great, if you leave you won't get, make sure use before you go

Cons

Verbally abused and threaten with violence by one of my co-worker ,Management and HR did nothing.

Advice to Management

Terrible Management