Zara Reviews | Glassdoor

Zara First Deputy Chairman and CEO Inditex Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera
Pablo Isla Álvarez de Tejera

1,617 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fast paced and there is almost always something to do (in 102 reviews)

• Good pay and I had the incredible experience of having a great team around die to which work was almost always a pleasure (in 71 reviews)

Cons

"horrible company with bad management!!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

the company gives you a uniform so you don't have to buy there clothes with you're amazing discount of only 15%.
    the company hires you automatically if they know you have retail experience as they are looking to fill space on their floor.

Cons

Management is trained well in communicating to sales associates of what they need from them. Schedules are still done in paper instead of email format. Zara hires a bunch of employees and then fires them all after realizing how they chose awful candidates to fill hiring quotas.

Advice to Management

Reward sales associates that actually work and put their time into your store so that you look good. Don't hire people guaranteeing positions are available for promotion and that there would be a lot of hours while there isn't at all.

"ZARA is a stepping-stone job to use as a reference to be hired by other high-end retail stores."

Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL

Pros

It gives you experience for corporate jobs. It's the same type of personalities at every job, from McDonald's to Prudential.

Cons

The discount is garbage. It's 15%. But Chicago Tax is 9.75%.
    Promotions are based on convenience, not skill set.
    Quality of life is not really important. You have to manipulate your availability to maintain your sanity.

"Horrid."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

The clothes are absolutely gorgeous. If they like you, you get a good amount of hours for a part time employee.

Cons

I'm not quite sure if its specifically the industry or the store itself, but you have no value as a human being at this store. You are overworked and underpaid, different employees make different wages, but its not based on experience, education etc, but rather random factors. Employees who started working before me make less than I do (you read that right). Women's department is completely catty, very much high school politics. Everyone starts as a part time employee which is really just a cheap way to make sure they can wait longer to give benefits (which many people who work over 40 hours here don't receive)/

Advice to Management

The managers at Zara need to remember where they started off. They need to come to work and work. Nothing worst than a manager who refuses to get her hands dirty,especially when the store is pretty clean.

"Very Unappreciated even though worked really hard, unethical and unrealistic expectations, with horrible managment."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

pays better than many other retail stores. full benefits for full-time employees or salary positions. very nice coworkers. they work with your hours if you are a part time employee and full time student.

Cons

they don't appreciate your hard work and your teamwork. they make you work as if you are two employees and not only one! Management has favorites and treat employees very unfair. They try to be as cheap as possible when it comes to employees because its a growing company. We where lacking even lunchroom at many times in order for stock people to process their shipment. their expectations are all the way to the roof and at the same time they are not very clear with what they expect from people. There is usually misunderstanding between managers and they usually would reflect it very negatively on their employees. if you are a salary position forget about having a life. they would change schedules last minute and always expect you to do as they wish.

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

being able to see the new seasonal collection

Cons

Uniform aka the uncomfortable shoes, the elevator music, low pay, little discount (15%), lack of communication.

Advice to Management

separate your personal issues with work.

6. "sales"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Zara full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible for students
    never boring
    love the music

Cons

15% employee discount
    want you to do more work for same pay.

Advice to Management

humble thyselves

"worst corporate retail job ive ever had"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Zara full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I do not have anything positive to say about ZARA.

Cons

CONS:
    Lets start with Management.
    First and foremost, the management at the store i worked at were HORRIBLE. We went through 4 store managers in about 5 months.

They mistreat you by talking down to you and ignoring you unless you are a product leader. The employees in these stores are treated like cattle since there are usually A LOT of employees. There is no room for growth like they promise you in the interview. You dont even have a chance in this company if you are not hispanic or speak spanish.

The customer service in this store is extremely lacking. That is by employees AND especially cashiers and managers (who are usually VERY RUDE to customers who are making returns)

As a former employee (full time and for a year) I would NEVER recommend anyone for this job. The girls are catty and competitive and cliqy. The managers choose favorites and speak to each other in spanish infront of you and customers (unproffesional)

Ive been snapped at, yelled at, threatened and have had many sleepless nights due to the stress I and many other former employees have had to deal with.

I even wrote a letter to HUMAN RESOURCES and never heard back from them. The managers act VERY differently when corporate is not around. There are a lot of fake women running this store, very corrupt.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat your employees better! Zara wouldnt be such a revolving door if management were nicer and took the time to train there employees. Stop picking favorites. Stop being rude to csutomers when they have returns. Stop telling employees they need to wear make up and look better if they want to succeed at there store. Stop encouraging employees to "compete" with other employees by burning bridges and causing drama in the stores.
    Stop being BITCHES.

Im talking to YOU Evelyn, Sophia, Adeby's, and Joanne from Century City Mall in Los Angeles CA.

"Working for Zara was the most stressful, unprofessional, and unethical company I have ever worked for."

Former Employee - Key Holder in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Key Holder in New York, NY

I worked at Zara full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Fashion
    New Merchandise twice a week

Cons

Low quality merchandise ( items would be delivered damaged )
    Extremely over priced considering the quality
    The discount was only 15%
    Not considered full time even if you work 40+ hours a week
    Only 1 hour of training then you were expected to know where everything is and how to do everything. If you did not you would be fired immediately.
    Hired only hispanic people with little to no education that they could abuse for their own amusement.
    Horrible customer service
    Unprofessional staff members, some of my staff could not even speak english. I had to find another staff member to translate task and vice versa.
    The uniform the whole team had to wear , black nylon pants and blazer and a spandex long sleeve shirt, and men's dress shoes that gave everyones feet large blisters. it did not matter if you had blisters most management had zero sympathy and would send you home rather than let you wear another pair of shoes.

There was no Air Conditioning in the store during the summer, it was 82 everyday. Upper management did not care and would not permit staff to remove blazer in the summer. Every week we had to call the ambulance because the store was so hot customers and staff members would faint.

The management team has 0 communication between each other. Each manager had there own agenda. In one day 4 managers would yell at you informing you of your responsibility. Then another manager would yell at you saying you were doing the task wrong.

Upper Management was unethical. They favored certain associates and made the others life a living hell. They would be on your case everyday no matter if you did everything right. They would make reasons up just to yell at them. It was the most unethical and unprofessional experience of my life. I would walk into the office and the Store Manager would be talking about me ( making fun of ) staff members and laughing to each other. They would make fun of staff that had bad family life, was over weight, not pretty enough and just didn't fit in.

They expect so much from their staff and show absolutely no appreciation. In my 7 months working as a Key Holder for the SOHO location i was never given positive feedback. I was singled out because of my race and treated like an alien by all of the management team. They would make up stories about me and i would be yelled at for things i never did. They would have zero proof and it didn't matter i was expected to not say anything and just be abused on a daily basis.

I would never even have my worst enemy work in this hell hole.

Management would act a certain way and then when corporate would come in they would change.

People were constantly fired for made up reasons. They were fired because the management team just didn't like them or because they asked questions. I actually got screamed at for training a new associate and helping them on the sales floor. I was told that they were already trained and if they don't know the answer from their 1 hour training they will be fired.

Advice to Management

Fire all management and rehire.

"Management and corporate very belittling, no growth opportunity"

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in New York, NY

I have been working at Zara full-time (More than a year)

Pros

weekends off for visual merchandisers

Cons

worked 60hrs/week and only was paid for 40 due our amazing salary
    no growth opportunity-visual merchandisers were in same position after 6 years of being on the job
    favoritism towards spanish people-if you're not spanish then good luck
    VERY belittling and no support from managers or corporate- treat you like a dog
    no respect = high turnover rate

Advice to Management

Get educated and learn english

"Mismanagement of a company that used to be amazing"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Zara full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

opportunities for growth, get to meet great people on your team, great learning experience of the "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Cons

This company has a great idea that has all but disappeared through the terrible management practices of Upper Management employees. A lot of the corporate employees are very unprofessional: they give you a time when they will do something for you, don't do it, and don't even follow up. The philosophy is: if you need something, you need to keep calling, ten times, to ten different people if you have to.
    They do not have established training guidelines/programs for any position, and yet they have tremendous expectations.
    The feedback from corporate is frequently not constructive, they do not offer solutions to any problems.
    They do not give you sufficient resources.

Advice to Management

Set realistic goals, and give sufficient resources. Make the employees feel appreciated.

Showing 1,617 of 1,666 reviews