Zara Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,443 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Poor company ethics, don't care about employees"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Zara full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Like most retail, ZARA is fun if your store is fully staffed and has supportive management. Your discount is 25%, and includes sale merchandise as well. A uniform is provided, but the shoes are horribly uncomfortable. Depending on your store, hours can be good, ranging from 20 to full time. New merchandise arrives Monday's and Thursday's, so the store is always changing. Fast paced environment. Lots of supervisory positions make moving up in the company possible. Pay is excellent for retail. Part time associates receive a dollar raise every year.

Cons

Support from corporate is horrible. Managers and corporate staff being long time friends with HR gives some people in the company invincibility. Clique environment. Your managers will tell you that you're getting promoted and that you are in training, but you'll never see any formal documentation and eventually your managers will "forget" they promised you anything and/or tell you you're simply not working hard enough to be promoted. Essentially, the idea is to milk the hardest working people for all ZARA can before having to pay them more. Still, after you complete your training, HR will "forget" to input your raise. I watched this happen to many hard working associates who saw ZARA as a potential career, which drove them to eventually leave. Managers refuse to promote part timers to full time, but still have those who want to be full time work 37+ hours. As a result, ZARA gets your full time work without having to provide you benefits. Corporate harasses the managers constantly, which leads the managers to take out their frustration and anxiety on their staff. One of the regional visuals (corporate) gained access to my store's cameras, and COUNTED the pants on a table. This corporate individual then called the store and asked why replenishment was not being pulled, and commanded the department manager to go pull replenishment.
    It's a very hostile environment. So hostile, in fact, that in my region alone, 16 managers quit at the same time. Zara is a fantastic place for someone who doesn't see it as a career, but the threatening and unsupportive work environment makes it uncomfortable and miserable for those of us who care about our jobs.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees. Show them they are not expendable.

"Visual Merchandiser"

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Zara (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Culture, fashion and promoting within company.

Cons

Position is like being a visual, trainer, sales associate, stock associate and floor manager all is one.. Which is great to gain so much experience, but not when you're under appreciated/under paid.

Advice to Management

Don't be greedy, appreciate your workers and don't overwork everyone to the point of exhaustion or even leaving. Consider a pay raise for visuals given all of the extra responsibilities we have in addition to acting as associates as well.

3. "Cashier"

I worked at Zara part-time

Pros

It was great helping people make the best fashion choice for them.

Cons

I worked hard with little to no recognition.

4. "A job that challenges your efficiency!"

Current Employee - Floor Associate in Miami Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Floor Associate in Miami Beach, FL

I have been working at Zara part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary is better than average retailers since every associate earns global commissions without the need to sell anything. It's the highest selling clothing brand!

Cons

Extremely fast-paced with the longest hours. Even though the amount of hours is no less than twenty hours per week by company policy, you're not guaranteed anything when you're a part-timer. It is recommended to have a second job as an extra income.

Advice to Management

Managers need to improve themselves in regards to being more cautious about loss prevention, and even more attentive to sales floor. Cashiers may request for any of the managers on the store radio several times, and still no manager would show up at the registers.

5. "N/a"

Former Employee - Unknown in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Unknown in Tampa, FL

I worked at Zara part-time

Pros

Workers get paid commission if your store meets the sales amount. Co workers are very helpful compared to management.

Cons

Management is beyond terrible. Training was not well and I didn't know what my title was in the store. First day of work and I was already getting yelled at. They all speak Spanish so if you don't, you're left out of everything. Everyone was surprised that I spoke Spanish so they couldn't talk bad about me. Could not stay another day working. You pretty much do everything but your job title here. Management think they are kings and queens.

Advice to Management

Be more concerned towards employees. Be patient and understanding. Speak English for the most part because the workers that don't feel left out. Better training and cooperation. Friendly attitude not show you hate coming to work everyday!

6. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zara part-time

Pros

good retail company to work for especially if you are a student, great co workers, flexible schedule, management was friendly, generally clear about expectations and easy to communicate with

Cons

experience depends alot on management, busy fast paced work environment, and schedule wasn’t always posted in a timely manner

7. "Zara"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Zara (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible hours, room for growth

Cons

Hard work, late shifts, slightly unorganized

8. "Department Manager"

I worked at Zara full-time

Pros

- Good promotion scheme
    - Good training scheme

Cons

- Frequent weekend work
    - Long hours

9. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Zara part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay compared to other retailers

Cons

Long hours, horrible management, Lots of favoritism, only room for growth if you're a favorite, those with positions do the least work and take credit for others, most of the managemente employees are rude, unprofessional, & fearful to promote you so you won't surpass them and they can remain the best at their position, they act as though they are above everyone else and an asset to the company. There's a lot of turnover because of management. the money is not even worth it sometimes. If you're a student or have another job they expect you to put Zara first.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees right and with respect and provide a positive work environment So that they can perform better, Humble yourselves, stop being hypocritical and expecting different behaviors from certain employees while allowing others to break the rules and breaking them yourselves, learn better communication skills.

10. "Men's Department Mentor"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Zara full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice, retail company that pay descent and provides good benefits, with more years of experience you get better opportunities in the company every year salary will increase for about $00.50 to a $1.00. May very on location.

Cons

Management team could use some training and couching how to be a good leader not just a boss. A lot of pressure in flagship stores. Company require a lot of hard work but not always willing to reward for that hard work.

Advice to Management

Be open minded.
    Remember that you are there to support and help.
    Believe in people,.