Zayo Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Zayo Co-Founder, Chairman and CEO Dan Caruso
Dan Caruso

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible work from home policy for groups that are not needed in the office on a daily basis (in 42 reviews)

• Work-life balance was a big focus to insure employee happiness (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can get out of hand because purposely you will never be caught up at Zayo because there is so much work to do (in 47 reviews)

• Execs don't feel the cost of living pinch with (in 11 reviews)

1. "Network Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Zayo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Management is fair and flexible. All you have to do is your job and you're left alone.

Cons

I don't have any cons

"It's okay, I wouldn't recommend it but some may like it."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Zayo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I personally didn't find many pros, which is why I left. As with most places you encounter, there are some really great people but that does not make up for the areas where it falls short. They do a lot of volunteer work around the community, that is to be commended, they also are heavily involved with CU and other local small businesses. The company is not evil or anything, the way it was run just wasn't for me, that is all. I would say career opportunities are definitely a pro, they will promote anyone to any job regardless of qualifications, which is also a huge con because you may be working with and for people who have zero clue what they are doing.

Cons

It feels very disorganized, and at times it is a complete and utter mess. Work/Life balance is essentially non-existent, they preach flexibility until but depending on your area/boss don't expect it to be universal. I felt the compensation package was very poor, especially in a higher than average rent zone like Boulder, while they do offer quarterly ICC & RSU's (15 month vest), the base salary is near or at the bottom of most job ranges. It seems like the perfect job for college grads who are unaware you can make substantially more money elsewhere or very established veterans of the industry who aren't as concerned about salary but more concerned about future savings which the RSUs would be great for. The compensation piece is probably the biggest piece that gets brought up almost daily by employees and definitely in every town hall with Dan Caruso, to the point they have had to send out company wide emails and salesforce chatter posts reminding people this is what they signed up for.

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Zayo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid team work, strong sense of urgency, open communications. I've worked at some of the largest Telco's over the years - Zayo has a strong entrepreneurial streak that other companies would kill for. I've found the teams and people very approachable. Benefits - especially medical coverage are outstanding. This is a pay for performance environment - you'll work hard every day and have to drive the bottom line.

Cons

There is little formal training so much of what you learn is driven by being engaged. I've found people very supportive of sharing work/job knowledge.

Advice to Management

More time needs to be spent documenting processes - but avoid becoming to rigid to processes that do not drive results.

"A Company Lost From the Top Down"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Zayo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging environment.
    If you can make it through this mess of a company, you can probably make it through anywhere.

Cons

"Leadership" is completely clueless.
    The company refuses to invest in its own network.
    Audits are non-existent.
    A plethora of interns who don't do much of anything while "silent" RIFs occur and we lose valuable employees.
    Tyrants in certain leadership positions who tow the line very well (hence, why they are where they're at), shut down meaningful conversations, and try to run the business as cheap as possible.
    Raises are near impossible to receive.
    A stupid number of worthless "VPs" who are no more than managers at the end of the day and screw up any type of respectable hierarchy.
    Did I mention tyrants in certain "leadership" positions that like to shut down conversations and are so cheap that it hinders the betterment of a group environment?

Advice to Management

Caruso needs to step away. Most people I've spoken to do not have any confidence in the guy (as he laughs all the way to the bank). He's crude and tries to shut down "dissent" on what is supposed to be an open forum through company chat pages.
    Investments are needed in the network dearly. Investments are needed in the employees who are ran into the ground for a pittance of RSUs that don't vest for 15 months.
    I can't wait to see Caruso say "I'm sorry you feel that way" as he has done often in the past.

"Access planner"

I worked at Zayo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work remote
    Can't say much else

Cons

No warning of being layed off
    Poor management
    Not very nice people

Advice to Management

Maybe a heads up that you are losing your job
    Everyone has a life and responsibility
    Did not meet many nice people the almost five years I worked at the company

"Repair Manager"

I worked at Zayo full-time

Pros

There are not very many pros.

Cons

Zayo is an acquisition company. When my company was acquired I read the reviews and got concerned about all of the negativity. I thought the reviews were one sided as most people will only issue a negative review, but I can tell you these reviews are very valid. If you have been acquired by Zayo, you are in for a negative experience. Moral is very low and most people are looking to move on.

Advice to Management

Senior Management at Zayo does not take advice, so it is pointless.

"No Process or Procedures"

I have been working at Zayo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing is positive. It's a colossal mess.

Cons

They have no idea how to integrate another company.

Advice to Management

Greedy and it will turn out to bit you back. Soon.

"clerk"

I have been working at Zayo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good people to work with

Cons

compensation is hard to understand

"It's all true..."

I have been working at Zayo full-time

Pros

No one has ever thrown a rock at me or set me on fire... yet... It's also ridiculously hard to get fired, even if you're awful at everything you do. They'll just bounce you around departments until someone will tolerate you.

Cons

Everything that everyone has already said. I can't really add anything else to the overwhelmingly accurate gripes of other people's reviews.

Advice to Management

Take a management class, read a management book, realize your employees are human beings and not cattle to be churned out.

"Great growing company (Fast)"

Current Employee - Data Center Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Data Center Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Zayo full-time

Pros

Knowledge, experience, and the benefits

Cons

Stress is the downfall of a growing company. growing pains

Advice to Management

Better organization.