Zayo Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Zayo Co-Founder, Chairman and CEO Dan Caruso
Dan Caruso

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible work from home policy for groups that are not needed in the office on a daily basis" (in 51 reviews)

• "Work-life balance was a big focus to insure employee happiness" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance when you have a family can be tough with this company ( but still a good company to work for)" (in 55 reviews)

• "Currently unless your manager says you can work from home you can not" (in 14 reviews)

1. "Value Creation front and center"

I have been working at Zayo full-time

Pros

Everyone in the company is focused on creating value

Cons

Tough decisions are sometimes hard to communicate

Advice to Management

Stay focused

"Comp Plan"

Former Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Zayo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice base and worked with some good people

Cons

Comp plan works if you stay with the company. But they can let you go at any time and you lose all of your stock that is not vested. So they are giving stock and then taking it away.

Advice to Management

Change management and plan

"Could be a great place to work but..."

Former Employee - Finance
    Former Employee - Finance

I worked at Zayo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, my manager was receptive and helpful.

Cons

No training, no manuals (we should know instinctively how to do something), too many people moving around passing the buck to the next person.

Advice to Management

Focus on getting the right people in the job. Pay them more if that means someone has knowledge helpful to doing the job well rather than forcing them to look outside their department for more money.

"Steer Clear"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Zayo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, learn about data/colocation

Cons

Horrible culture, overworked employees, bad management

Advice to Management

Hire people to help with the workload so management can actually create processes and enforce them. There are no routines or processes that are widely known or enforced across data centers, wreaking havoc on how employees communicate. Create a promotional structure, and disclose why so many people are constantly fired.

"Human resources lacking moral integrity"

Pros

Great pay, fun office environment with great collaboration and free coffee daily and food provided once weekly

Cons

This company does not believe in written process which is great for pro active people And those who are able to think outside the box-but terrible for employees lacking and Boven experience and self-motivation as they think they can get away with not trying their best. Working with mediocre talent tends to be infectious and I wouldn’t want one bad apple to spoil the bunch. The human resources department never followed up on an open claim I made where an employee of mine had submitted fraudulent information on her resume and was taking advantage of company time. In addition to not having held the positions listed on her resume, she also did not have any of the professional certifications she claimed to hold nor any of the minimum qualifications required for the position needed to perform the job such as simple data analysis and project management experience. As a manager I attempted to replace this individual by following protocol but later found out she was a friend of my bosses boss and instead I got fired without any prior warning. Paying a friend over $100,000 a year versus any other qualified individual in my mind proves their lack of integrity- especially since they were unwilling to acknowledge employees wasting space and company money. Their customers were suffering as a result of this lazy, careless employee and I Merely tried to replace this person with someone more qualified which would have only benefited the company and our stakeholders. I would not work for this place again if they begged me to come back.

Advice to Management

Before I was able to take action with human resources and have a useless member of my team removed and replaced, I was told I was “just not the right fit” and was never given an opportunity to explain why I was so determined to replace the individual on my team.? I was hired as a manager to build a successful team, so I thought I had full authority to handle this people problem. Human resources never discussed the actions I was attempting to make during my exit interview, so in my mind the issue I had raised with regards to her performance issues, lack of respect, lack of knowledge, and lack of experience was never addressed. What good is a human resources department if they are unable to listen to the management team responsible for building successful teams? Zayo got it wrong and let go of the wrong person in this scenario. I would suggest more open communication between lower and upper management, better collaboration, and more detailed explanations as to why the company makes the decisions it makes.

6. "Great learning environment"

Former Employee - Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Boulder, CO

I worked at Zayo part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are leading edge in networks

Cons

Very intense experience. High workload

"TOP EXECUTIVE LEADERSHIP IS AWFUL"

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Zayo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

coworkers and lower management are fantastic

Cons

TOP LEADERSHIP including the CEO need to pack their bags. They are only leading Zayo into the ground.

Advice to Management

Quit firing great employees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Pretty OK"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Zayo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great manager, great team, fantastic atmosphere, friendly people, seem to be opportunity for professional development.

Cons

Unclear and rapidly changing objectives, not offered proper software to be the most efficient, rather secretive executives. I also feel that compensation is not very transparent or high enough to be competitive.

Advice to Management

Be nicer to sales reps, be more transparent with business objectives, offer more competitive salaries, train employees better.

"Not a happy place"

Current Employee - Manager in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Zayo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to learn the industry

Cons

Low pay, bad culture, no process, bad communication

"Unstable At Best"

I have been working at Zayo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Somewhat of a flexible work schedule, ocassional work from home if needed.

Cons

Very unstable. Management changes to often. Direction of company changes everyother day. Consolidating employees into hubs (Colorado, Oklahoma) which has created an influx of brand new employees with very limited experience. This creates a dominoe effect with the overall quality of service delivered. Not to mention those that are left, cleaning up the messes. Not very confident in my position that it will be viable in the coming months. Pay is not industry competitive.

Advice to Management

Stop so many changes at once, creates a very hectic work place. Keep tenured employees so that customers are taken care of. Be more transparent in order to decrease the rumor mill. Evaluate pay scales and adjust to market and pay based on employee performance. Those that give mediocre work, still get paid the same as tenured employees whos output is much greater.