Zazzle Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

Marketing

1.9
Robert Beaver

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free gym membership is a huge plus (in 8 reviews)

• Additionally, Zazzle harvests a great culture and work environment, while providing each employee with challenging opportunities (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • customer service gets treated like scum (in 11 reviews)

• Not a lot of transparency and communication from upper management (in 8 reviews)

"Having a good time"

Current Employee - Marketing/Merchandising in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing/Merchandising in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Zazzle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I graduated in January and joined Zazzle after meeting them at a career fair. The recruiting process was quick and I have really enjoyed my first 3-4 months. I have gotten to learn a lot on the job (I did not know much about online marketing before I came here), but my manager has been helpful and I feel like I am contributing.

I guess it is also worth mentioning that the campus is great - there is a gym I have used once but have every intention of using more soon. . .trust me.

Cons

I live in SF and take the train down - there is a shuttle from CalTrain but sometimes the times are not ideal.

"What a sad state of affairs"

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Zazzle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At the time...
    The best co-workers
    Proactive mentors
    Team building
    Discounts

Cons

Reading these reviews is like reliving a nightmare over and over again. Having been tipped off that things were beginning to unravel, I left for a much better opportunity long before most others. It looks like that may have been the best decision I've ever made. At that time it was obvious to everyone that relying on disinterested and disengaged founders mixed with some of the worst senior management ever assembled was taking a toll on those people who provided honest and moral direction and leadership. I believe now that all of those predictions were actually true. How sad it is to see what was once a dynamic company with a future tossed to the curb by ego, greed, inexperience and a baffling run of predictable product missteps. What a shame.

The silver lining is that a lot of those same people who left in frustration are now running or investing in their own companies-and they are all hiring.

Advice to Management

You never have nor will you ever listen to anyone outside your dysfunctional cabal, however at a minimum please update the website to show only current employees if there are any left. When it eventually loads those pages look more like your company's obituary.

The rest, like I said, would just be lost on you unfortunately. Taking advice from some of those that left could have prevented or at least slowed your current trajectory to the bottom of a dying market.

"If you get a call from Zazzle - Be smart & RUN!"

Current Employee - Marketing Department in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Department in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Zazzle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The poor souls who slave away for a money hungry family called the Beavers. The employees here are extremely nice and personable only when they're not scared to speak during work hours. The office spaces are very modern and nice but don't let that fool you b/c that's the only thing Zazzle has to offer.

Cons

The management team (Beavers)
    Jason - their side kick (CMO, CFO, hitler)
    No growth - don't let them lie to you. There's NO growth whatsoever and you can forget about getting raises because there aren't performance reviews or anything to that effect. if you want a raise then you better start beg, lie and steal.
    Don't believe the positive reviews on here because the CEO has coerced employees to leave fake positive feedback to try to increase their rating on glassdoor.
    If you're smart, you will make your decisions based on all of the negative reviews on here because we have no reason to lie or waste our time to leave reviews unless its really necessary.
    No one ever speaks during working hours because their afraid to talk with one another and the CEO sits right in the middle of the room.
    Every snack, drink or dinner is tracked by the CEO and his minions so if you abuse the policy by drinking multiple drinks a day then expect a conversation with HR.

Advice to Management

Don't make your employees leave positive reviews to try to entice new employees to join the company. it won't take long for them to notice the issues that are going on internally. Low morale, no team work, way too many meetings to discuss nothing, they expect you to work at least 12 hours a day or else you're considered a bad employee.

Zazzle Response

Nov 6, 2014 – Social Media Manager

I don’t normally engage in online forum postings/rebuttals, etc., but given that my name was specifically called out in this one, I feel compelled to respond.

If there’s a specific action/behavior... More

"Below Average Company, Below Average Salaries"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Zazzle full-time

Pros

They are located in a nice business complex in the middle of Silicon Valley. However, given recent news that Google just acquired the complex called Pacific Shores, I doubt Zazzle will be there for much longer. There was a $5 lunch card that was given to most employees. The gym benefits were also very good. Not much pros to say about the inner workings of the company itself. It's very disorganized and decentralized.

Cons

Compensation is below industry standards in most of the business units. Marketing staff is underpaid, customer service business agents are treated as second class citizens and the creative team is almost non-existent anymore. Perks...yeah well there's a $5 credit for lunches and dinner is catered Monday-Thursday. However, expect to stay very late if you order dinner unless you'd like to be shunned by upper management. Growth is non-existent and career opportunities are disguised with fake titles. Overall, I wished I would have never accepted the job offer I got.

Advice to Management

None. They don't listen anyways.

"Do not have high expectations."

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Zazzle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Located in a nice campus.
    5 dollar lunch cards.
    Snacks.

Cons

Employees work in constant fear of upper management. Many employees are not allowed to park in font of the building or smoke cigarettes near it. There have been employees terminated in the past for this.

Advice to Management

None.

"Good company with some small problems"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Zazzle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at Zazzle for two years and have really enjoyed my time. My manager is smart and our group has grown significantly. I was hired to work in the international team and have gotten exposure to thinkgs like SEM and SEO that I knew nothing about when I started.

Cons

The most successful people (those who get promotions anyway) work pretty long hours (9 to 7:30 or so). If you want one on one time with senior management, you need to stay late.

Advice to Management

Need to hire more people in the office that fit your target demographic

"Don't Commit Career Suicide"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Zazzle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very few. Good location i guess, since office is in Redwood City. The gym at the complex is nice, but that is no reflection on Zazzle whatsoever.

Cons

Gee where to start....benefits, pay, no upward movement opportunities whatsoever, CEO does not perform CEO duties, micro managing managers, all internal tools and systems are archaic. I have seen countless employees who were management potential passed on because they didn't have the pedigree that the inner circle of executives at management want. Furthermore, the turnover has been so massive over the past year, that I can't see how a company could move any initiatives forward in the next coming year.

With regards to culture. It's terrible. Engineers are treated like gods and removed from all the day to day micro managing nonsense while other departments like Marketing, Creative Customer Support and Product Management are blamed 100% for revenue. Customer service, is a whole department that isn't respected at all. They don't attend any company functions, nobody knows what CS initiatives are being worked on or why there are so many complaints on Facebook about shipping/errors. Overall, bad place to work and a bad place to order anything from.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees, invest in the future and stop pretending to be something that you're not. This is not an elite company by any means. Don't let the big investment in a nice office fool you. Simply go on their facebook page and look at how many customers have had issues with their orders on a daily basis. The numbers are massive. Is that an elite company? Probably not. Stop pretending to be Amazon.