Zazzle Reviews in Redwood City, CA | Glassdoor

Redwood City, CA

2.9
Robert Beaver

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Additionally, Zazzle harvests a great culture and work environment, while providing each employee with challenging opportunities (in 8 reviews)

• Good co-workers, as in the people along side you not the people in management (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • customer service gets treated like scum (in 10 reviews)

• Not a lot of transparency and communication from upper management (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great Place to work but no room for growth"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Free food!
    Great manager fun to work with.
    Great place to work with friends.

Cons

no room for growth
    family runs company
    customer service gets treated like scum

Advice to Management

Focus more on the ENTIRE team.

"HR is horrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Zazzle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are nice in general, but can be very closed-minded and uneasy at times.

Cons

HR team is super unprofessional. There isn't much help when it comes to HR.

Minimal learning opportunities.

Uncomfortable working environment.

"Zazzle, like the San Francisco Bay Area, is all sparkle and no substance"

Former Employee - Digital-Era Serf in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Digital-Era Serf in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Zazzle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're a masochist, the prospect of getting belittled and berated by aggressive and cutthroat managers should excite you. Be grateful for it, ye little digital-era serfs! Lap it up! You know you like it...I'm sorry, I cannot think of one pro regarding these folk.

Cons

It's a cold, restrained and corporate environment, under the guise of being a zippy, young start-up. Read any Orwell? You get the gist. The compensation is substandard for all positions, especially if you really want to make it in the most expensive part of the country. I saw very little praise being dolled out to any of its workers, in any department. They are also very strict about things that don't make much sense. Yes, I noticed they had new decor and furniture. But not being allowed to eat snacks on certain sofas in the common areas, etc., is just a tad precious. It's not a design showroom. I would say their overall attitude is one of undeserved entitlement and snobbery. If you like yuppies or are one, you might jibe with them. But for the average person, please don't risk your sanity and agree to work there. You'd be better off as a Lyft driver or some such. At least that way, you won't get bossed around by snippy, immature little Millennials with sticks up their butts. I sincerely wish that Zazzle, and San Francisco would just fall off the face of the earth. It would hardly be a loss - there are no longer any real people left there.

Finally, Zazzle is not fair to its contributing artists on the site. They do not get near the percentage of sales they deserve for their hard work, But then, San Francisco also despises and spits on artists, so hey, it's a win-win!!! Hurray for the 1%! SF is like this horrid, nauseating vortex of tech titans, 1 percenters and way-too-expensive sandwiches.

Advice to Management

I would say, 'Don't be evil,' but Google has that motto, and now (surprise!), they are the epitome of evil. They make Lucifer look like a puppy. I'll stop here. I really don't think any of us should be wasting our time on advice for the Dark Ones. Zazzle. Beelzebub. Same thing. It's all the same awful energy.

4. "Great but needs more development"

Former Employee - Content Reviewer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Content Reviewer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Zazzle (More than a year)

Pros

Startup culture, laidback team management, good food and perks

Cons

Hard to grow within, no room for growth, stagnant

Advice to Management

Expand your search within

"What a nightmare!"

I worked at Zazzle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was great to speak to and deal with customers. It's a local company. Free snacks.

Cons

A great concept that is often poorly executed. So many production and shipping errors that you spend all day apologizing for. If you breathe too fast or are 5 minutes late punching in or out you are written up. Heaven forbid you are sick, you are done. Management is too casual and often unprofessional. No encouragement given. One of my worst employment experiences ever.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees as much as your customers. Get your production system, quality and accuracy together before you DO beome Zizzle.

"Zizzle... Fizzle but not close to a Zazzle!"

I worked at Zazzle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Few pro's for working at Zazzle but some of the more note worthy ones:

You get the left over food that the other departments do not eat.

Free basic foodstuffs available to Customer Support: (i.e. Water, Carbonated water, various granola bars and cereal in cups, yogurts, string cheese, etc)

They tell you that you cannot use your cell phone when at your terminal but they allow the staff to use their phones anyways especially if your in good with the Assistant Managers!
    A plus depending on how you look at it.

You are given a card for 5USD off meals at the local 'cafe' the problem is the food is so expensive its cheaper to bring your own food.

Pay is decent for call center work!

Cons

This company is beyond confusing... confusing how such poor management have kept the company running for so long!

- When you start work with Customer Support you are told that cell phone use is prohibited unless you are a manager, etc. Then you see everyone using their phones constantly during and between calls and with no repercussions.

- Typical training for even the most basic of Call Centers is two weeks and some depending on the systems and policies can be a month!
    Coming to Zazzle your given 4 days roughly in training and that only covers the basics of basics on email support. It is amazing they do not train people on proper call center etiquette or training people how to deal with aggressive callers and more. You watch 5 people hired on and then 3 people quit because of this deliberate lack of training provided. When asked why this is done the senior staff constantly say "Trial by Fire" and it was said that in Zazzles eyes if you can survive more than 3 days then you have potential.

- Management have a firm belief in not keeping staff informed on what is happening within the company unless its about the latest sales to drum up business. During the 2015 holiday season technical outages that happened during the weekends were not reported to staff when they returned to work the following business day which left staff unprepared to handle the angry and upset customers. The lack of communication is beyond poor.

- The company makes no attempt to retain people for quality and only focus on quantity. Because the department runs no actual quality checks on the work done by Customer Support staff people who frequently produce top 'numbers' were proven to short cut and not properly document customer cases. Those who addressed these short comings by the top producers would suffer repercussions by Management for not having as high 'numbers' as senior staff for obvious reasons why.

- Company tries to sell itself as the non-Amazon company but they are totally based off numbers with no focus on quality production. From Support to Production the amount of purposely made errors that could have been resolved and or captured with some proper focus on Quality Control was huge.

- Staff will frequently speak ill of customers off the phone with no repercussions from Management. The lack of professionalism here made each day feel like High School rather than a business.

- Each department is a nation onto it's self. Support has no way to find out when Quality reaches out to Customers and is not allowed to reach out to other departments unless told to specifically per Management or Leads. Due to this what one person is told in a Department is something another in a different department may never know about for ages.

- You have no job growth here. They will mislead you with sweet promises of possible careers but having spoken with senior staff it was actually noted that they keep people on 'contract' for an average of 1-2 years before considering making you a direct hire. At the end of each year they have a culling of staff and look for people they can discharge. Since you are contract they will dismiss you without a second thought.

Advice to Management

Grow up.... your staff keeps quitting.
    People do not care that they openly talk about leaving the company.
    In your drive to hoard any profits your company is run like a roach coach... and it shows with the continually crappy products pushed out and the favoritism in the substandard staff you keep.

"Awesome Company"

Current Freelancer - Pro Seller in Redwood City, CA
    Current Freelancer - Pro Seller in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Zazzle (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home, no commitment

Cons

Sales can disappear without notice and you can make less

"Solid business model, strong career growth, no shortage of passion, and difficult problems to solve"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Zazzle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful mission from the founders and leaders, which truly trickle down to every aspect of the company. Employees feel connected, included, and inspired in the amazing contributions made from the entire Zazzle workforce. You can tell that the founders truly do have idealistic notions that permeate the culture and create an atmosphere that is difficult to find and authentically recreate and maintain. I have had a great experience at Zazzle thus far. I have built strong relationships with team members across the company and it is clear that the founders and leaders in the company value every single employee. Previously, when I had issues with management, my concerns were addressed with haste. Additionally, Zazzle harvests a great culture and work environment, while providing each employee with challenging opportunities.

Cons

Happy hours can get intense. Bring an umbrella. In all seriousness, I don't really have any cons. But I would have to say that this company is in a growing/transitional period. I see this as an opportunity to do some really great work and get tons of value, but that might not be for everyone.

Advice to Management

Spend a bit more to get premium talent (salary, benefits, training, etc.). You're a true Silicon Valley player, so you have to be competitive. Continue to evolve and adjust to remain a leader without losing sight of your core commitment to product quality and the customer. Keep aligned on the strategic direction of the company and effectively communicate/remind key employees throughout the entire company.

"Best company ever"

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Zazzle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get to work with the most talented people in the world and have access to latest technology. Founders are incredibly smart and very easy to work with. Cultural is fantastic and everyone is friendly. I have been with zazzle for almost 10 years. It feels like home.

Cons

No cons I can think of. zazzle should invest more internationally specially in emerging markets.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

"Great company with solid background"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Zazzle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work for a great team here in Zazzle. Flat organization with great exposure to the top.
    Great culture with lots of great people around. Smaller team means processes are kinda quick compared with other bigger companies.

I came from a much bigger company and like most big company, process and compliance are all worked out like a lubed machine. Lots of opportunity to shape the the process and bring the best out of the program.

High quality standard and demanding job can be a negative for some but I really enjoy it. I reported to a Sr. Level executive and she is totally empower her employees to do their work without getting in their ways.

Subsided lunch, unlimited healthy snacks and drinks. I personally like un-healthy snacks... at least I have the guts to admit it. :-) paid dinner delivery if you work late after 7pm on a daily basis.

Cons

the company still considers itself as a start-ups after 10 years of the making. Again, lots of compliance and process re-engineering stuffs going on. In-mature internal system (can be good, can be bad).
    It doesn't have a developed way to deliver a project from start to end. Project priorities shifted more than it should.

Advice to Management

job well done.
    Keep it more transparent to the team.
    it is time to invest more on the infrastructure to bring the company to a more higher level.