Zebra Technologies Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Zebra Technologies CEO and Director Anders Gustafsson
Anders Gustafsson

Cons

1. "Good company to get your foot in the door"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL

I worked at Zebra Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive benefits, fun co-workers, flexible with working from home if needed, many office locations to accommodate employees from all over

Cons

Zebra is still stuck on some Motorola programs, even though it has been over 2 years since the acquisition (preventing the company from truly being "One Zebra").

Many people got screwed over when Zebra decided to skip raises for half the employees (partial bonuses were added on only after they realized these employees were upset they were not getting any kind of raise).

2. "Network Engineer"

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at Zebra Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worldwide Cisco Systems Network Exposure

Cons

Co-workers afraid to share knowledge

Advice to Management

Get some self confidence and loose the attitude

3. "Negative work environment, No team comradery!!"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Glenview, IL
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Glenview, IL

I worked at Zebra Technologies as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Learned new skills and systems. Worked independently with a lot of responsibilities. Nice new building with cafe and workout center. Met a few very intelligent people. Flexible work schedule. Great products and services offered. Loads of potential in multiple industries.

Cons

Dishonest about direction of company. Led people to believe their positions were safe, but then let go department after department! Mostly let go the good, hard working people who were with Zebra for many years. Kept most of the Motorola employees, while also putting up huge walls between the employees on both sides. Gave bonuses to ALL Managers & up, and ALL the Motorola acquisitions! While ONLY leaving out the "workers" (non-management, and majority of staff) from Zebra! Initially thought it was a mistake. Then it quickly turned into a lot of upset people. Their "fix" after the huge backlash was to give the left out Zebra folks a very small percentage of their salary, IF they were eligible for it. Not more than a couple percent. Never heard of such a thing. Horrible, horrible business decision! Not the best way to keep up team morale. Although, the team I was on had NO team morale! Not even friendly or civil to one another! Looked for ways to back stab the person next to them. Horrible, completely backwards training. Department changed managers 4 times in 1 year. Very uncomfortable, negative work environment to be in. Difficult to obtain answers to questions. If something might be wrong, fingers start pointing immediately, and blaming of someone. Many of the original Zebra folks unsure of their job and future. Very tense environment. They keep changing Mgr's and Sr Mgr's, and then they change the staff and so on.

Advice to Management

Get a better grasp on the departments you have left there. Do some team building activities. Be honest and fair with the folks who are still there. Stop outsourcing departments to other countries and states. The people who knew the most about the products and company, were right there in the building. Customers aren't happy talking to people who don't know what they're dealing with, and then have to wait on answers and resolutions. Zebra was once a friendly and "family" company who cared about their employees. Go back to that type of culture.

5. "Overall positive experience"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Vernon Hills, IL

Pros

Great group of co-workers in the marketing department. Work was interesting enough and as a free-lancer I was accommodated appropriately.

Cons

Not a lot of cons really. Deadlines expectations were tight, as they are everywhere, but not impossible.

Advice to Management

For the most part, you’re doing a good job. My experience was as a free-lancer, I did not get a feeling that the full time employees were unhappy. But my experience is that upper management in most corporate environments needs improvement when it comes to giving employees more of a voice regarding day to day responsibilities.

"Product Manager"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Zebra Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Legacy management is great
    Decent pay levels; legacy management very flexible and loyal to employees, fairly strong promote from within when available, though people tend to stay so long that positions don't open frequently

Cons

Acquisition has brought silos and a terrible inherited culture from Motorola
    Bonus levels are below industry and job title levels
    No support for education

Advice to Management

Flatten the hierarchy a bit

Nov 16, 2016 – Director Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the feedback. You're right, we do our best to promote from within when we can, we want our people to have opportunities to grow within Zebra. We are actively working to develop a ... More

7. "Latin America Accounting Lead"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Zebra Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice teams working for a common goal

Cons

It gets really tough when travelling for work with coach only policy

Sep 21, 2016 – Director Talent Acquisition

We’re happy to hear you enjoy working for Zebra! If you have questions on the company travel policy, please reach out to your local HR representative.

8. "Distribution Associate II"

Former Employee - Distribution Associate in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Distribution Associate in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at Zebra Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company , good benefits , recommended

Cons

No , cons very good place to work

Sep 21, 2016 – Director Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback! We’re glad you had a good experience as a Zebra employee.

9. "Customer Care Associate"

Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Lincolnshire, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Lincolnshire, IL

I worked at Zebra Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, beautiful office, always enough work to do.

Cons

Need to update computer system,

Advice to Management

Be more helpful.

Sep 6, 2016 – Director Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your comments, we always appreciate the feedback. We agree that the benefits are great and our new office in Lincolnshire is beautiful. Many of our processes and systems are being ... More

10. "IT Security Operations"

Current Intern - IT Security Operations in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Intern - IT Security Operations in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Zebra Technologies as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Hands on Experience
    Management that cares

Cons

Latency in getting projects approved by board of directors

"It's going to get worse before it gets better......"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL

Pros

Zebra used to be a great company that I used to look forward to going to everyday....That is, pre-acquisition of Motorola.The employees I interacted with were always nice and helpful. There was a, "We want you to succeed" mentality.

Cons

My, have things have changed dramatically in 1 1/2 years time.

Zebra has lost A LOT of intelligent, hard-working legacy zebra employees in a significantly short amount of time due to the inept decisions made in part by upper and executive management.

The blatant inequity shown over the past year has negatively affected legacy Zebra employees (Most notably and recently, the paltry 2% bonus received in 2016 for the thankless yet tireless work done in 2015, while legacy Motorola employees received both a bonus and merit increase). In addition, the new incentive program guidelines showcase favoritism toward legacy Motorola employees (disparity between legacy Zebra and Motorola target bonuses that will not level set until 2018). Other issues legacy Zebra folks continue to face since the acquisition include poor treatment and disrespect as well as obvious bias of legacy Motorola employees by management within their own teams.

It is truly shameful and disappointing that this is the current state of Zebra, because it used to be a wonderful collaborative place to work. The upside is that now, many legacy Zebra employees who have left have been swooped up by fantastic companies that value their knowledge and stellar work ethic. Zebra's loss is another company's gain.

Advice to Management

Zebra should put a quick plan in action to try and figure out how to retain the small percentage of good employees they have left at their company. The talent pool is diminishing each day. Also, as another reviewer mentioned, after potential candidates see the flood of recent feedback on this site, it is going to be very difficult for Zebra to attain strong and driven employees in the near and distant future.