Zedi Reviews | Glassdoor

Keith T. Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Company"

I worked at Zedi full-time

Pros

Good Company to work for. Good benefits and hours.

Cons

would prefer to have an hour lunch, but enjoyed getting off early

"Used to be a great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Zedi (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can be generous to charities as they see fit

Claims that the employees are family...
    Organized, yet too many departments and red yape to get the necessary information

Cons

Out of touch with reality as it pertains to the non management employees in the US

Advice to Management

Remember the ones who are in the trenches while business sales and development staff and upper mgt are having fancy dinner parties, plentiful drinks, all while staying at nice hotels running the tab up on fat expense accounts ... spending more money on yourselves in a single month than the others (those in the trenches as mentioned above) in 2 or 3 months

"Gas Measurement"

I worked at Zedi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits of the job were the work experience gained and contacts established with the companies we did contract work for. The biggest benefit of Zedi ended up being that I could quickly leave Zedi.

Cons

We were understaffed for the amount of work our business had, which led to select people having to work a lot of weekends. My co-workers and I were sold on flexible scheduling and a "family friendly" work environment, and "rarely ever having to work weekends", which ended up being patentedly false.

I was not trained properly, nor was I provided the right tools or preparation for jobs we were going into. Most of the learning was done on the fly, and mistakes stemming from this environment were dealt with inappropriately. My few experiences outside of our division made this seem like a company-wide problem rather than a problem with just the division I was working in.

The compensation for the employees in our position was not competitive for the market at the time.

There was a generally negative feeling in the office. A lot of pettiness and people focused more on climbing the ladder than doing their present jobs.

It seemed like the general feeling the entire time was that I "owed" Zedi something, which was enforced in several conversations with my manager who implied I didn't deserve to get paid our agreed-upon wage (and I never brought up compensation with my manager, i.e. asking for more money or complaining about my wages).

There was not a high value placed on honesty in the office, but that's hardly just a zedi problem.

Advice to Management

I felt like the balance between negative and positive reinforcement tipped way too far toward the negative side. I heard much more positive things from the companies I did contract work with.

Hire enough people to do the jobs you need done.

4. "Business Development Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Zedi (More than a year)

Pros

decent money, good benefits, some smart people for support

Cons

4 different people telling 4 different ways to run my sales territory

Advice to Management

understand that things do not work the same way in America as they do in Canada

5. "Sales"

I have been working at Zedi full-time

Pros

Great corporate values and strong communication from executive team. Strong teamwork and positive competition. Strong sense of innovation and a desire to continue to be a thought leader in this industry

Cons

Some churn in employees, usually moving to a higher bracket of earnings. Marketing needs help. Sometimes the desire to stay in front leads to a failure to complete all the innovations to 100 percent.

6. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Zedi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at a technology and services company poses the opportunity to continuously evolve, embrace change and grow. Zedi as an organization does this very well and the reason for that is because they invest in their people. Zedi has made me into the professional I always dreamed I wanted to be, they challenged me, provided me with the tools, skills, mentors and surrounded me with the best leaders in their industry. Every project was a team effort, every problem was always solved and every customer treated as they are as important as the last. the culture, diversity and creativity was always exciting and the rewards were always worth it.

With Zedi the bar is always being raised, the work is exciting, solutions more innovative and the teamwork energetic. The people at Zedi from our customer Support right up to the CEO are amazing people and are the engine that runs this truly amazing organization.

I truly loved my days at Zedi and will miss them dearly.

Cons

Being located in the downtown SW can pose a longer commute for individuals who live in communities outside of the core.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people they are Zedi!

"Great if you're starting a new career. If not look elsewhere."

I worked at Zedi full-time

Pros

Some amazing coworkers, a lot of room to grow, a good stepping stone for experience, annual review for raises, awesome benefits, a lot of turnaround and expansions so changing depts can be much easier than in other companies.

Cons

Terible HR group, very selfish and snooty executives, every position is overworked and underpaid, a lot of turnover is some depts and with management - making it difficult to do your job, selling of the brand to employees and partners with great core values - but contradicting them constantly to save a few bucks

Advice to Management

Stop pocketing all the profits and overworking your employees. Hire some more people so one person is not doing 3 people's jobs, and share the wealth that your employees bust their butts to make for you.

8. "Good on employees weak on Technology"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Zedi (More than 8 years)

Pros

- From my experience, really good with their employees. They truly care.
    - Good perks
    - Flexible hours

Cons

- Really weak on technology advancement
    - Draconian IT policies

I guess it depends on where you are at in your career. I personally feels I have a couple more years I have left where I love new challenges and working with latest (open source) tech. The company is mostly a Microsoft shop so you got to love MS stack (I don't). To make a sport analogy, if you're hockey player you want to play in the NHL as long as you can and embrace the challenge that's come with it; you gotta stay fit, exercise, practice and of course compete against pro team.
    At Zedi it feels more like you're playing in some competitive +40 regional league. But can't really blame them. They are in the Oil & Gas industry which is an extremely conservative industry.

Advice to Management

Keep taking care of your employees. They are the engine running the company.

9. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Zedi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fast pace, new ideas fun group of people

Cons

Not everyone talking the same priorities

Advice to Management

Keep the info flowing down to all parties

10. "Good company with family feeling, but struggles to innovate past first great product."

Former Employee - Software Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Zedi full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Family feeling
    Relatively little politics
    Quite often a best place to work in Canada.
    Quite low employee turnover.
    Great team Christmas parties.

Cons

Technology company that does not understand technology.
    Draconian IT policies for such a small company.
    Not enough technology know how for upper management. They are unable to make good decisions because of the lack of understanding.
    Ineffective and demoralizing (for lower downs) profit sharing.

Advice to Management

Invest in EFFECTIVE IT and Product Development.
    Ensure product managers understand the business AND technology, more often the are clueless about tech.
    Decide if you are a services company or a technology company.