Zemax Reviews | Glassdoor

Zemax CEO Dr. Mark Nicholson
Dr. Mark Nicholson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"A great place to work and grow!"

I have been working at Zemax full-time

Pros

Zemax is a wonderful place to work. There are significant opportunities for individuals at any level, from recent graduate to senior professional. The culture is one of innovation, enthusiasm, and aggressive growth, which makes it exciting as provides constant opportunities for learning. Goals are also met within a framework of teamwork, collaboration, and cooperation. This is all done while providing wonderful work-life balance. Zemax values the employee as a person as much as a worker.

Cons

The company often engages in multiple initiatives at once, which - while exciting - can make it difficult to juggle all of the work.

Advice to Management

Don't fear over-communication! In what is an otherwise stellar work environment, sometimes we forget to pass on what we are accomplishing or learning to the entire business.

"A truly great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Zemax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Engaged, hard-working, positive, and brilliant coworkers who are kind and collaborative (no big egos)
    -Software is a leader in the industry and continues to do well (lots of future growth)
    -Promoting and hiring from within is common (great opportunities for career advancement)
    -Tons of fun company-sponsored events and a fully stocked kitchen full of free food (they value employees and make sure we have fun and eat well)
    -Work/life balance is respected and flexible schedules are the norm
    -Executive leaders seem aligned and clearly communicate company goals (you always know the direction of the company, where sales numbers are at, and how your role plays a part in it all)

Cons

The only con for me is that although the benefits package is extremely competitive (yay for 401k matching!), the health insurance isn't the best I've experienced in the Greater Seattle area. The coverage is great but the monthly premiums and copays are more than I've paid while employed at other companies (Full disclosure: I may be spoiled by having 100% employer-paid premiums in the past).

Advice to Management

Keep showing your employees that you appreciate their hard work and they will continue to do great things together.

3. "Best company I've worked for"

I have been working at Zemax full-time

Pros

- Small
    - Growing
    - Profitable
    - Fun
    - Adaptable
    - Smart coworkers
    - Compassionate people
    - Great perks (maternity/paternity leave, snacks, company uber, etc)

Cons

- Lack of communication at times, promotions/changes sometimes happen with little warning
    - Few documented policies/procedures. It would be nice to be able to look up what the policy is on bereavement or medical leave, but I'm not sure where to do that.

Jul 26, 2017 – Director, Engineering Services

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. We love the same things you do about Zemax, and have worked hard along with all Zemaxers to create the kind of culture where people feel valued and empowered... More

4. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Zemax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best in class products, strong vision for growth and team to execute.
    Great work environment and work-life balance

Cons

As with any small company, some may find resources not readily available and need to participate in building the resources.

Advice to Management

Continue to understand competition and threats to the business as well as new business growth opportunities. Stay best of breed!

Jun 26, 2017 – Operations Manager

We appreciate your feedback and thank you for the suggestions!

"A fun company with plenty of opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zemax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Zemax core values (to be honest, fun, driven, always improving, solving problems, and super smart) really align with how I approach everything, and I appreciate having co-workers who are also putting in their best work to make new things or improve the status quo. Work-life balance is tops, and everybody comes to work with a smile on their face.

Cons

I haven't had many negative experiences personally, but I do think that the way the company approaches corrections to individual performance could be improved. It seems that if an employee isn't performing up to standard, in many cases that employee ends up being terminated or quitting, rather than actually modifying behavior to go on to be more successful in his/her role. There are also times where it outwardly appears that poor behavior goes unmanaged entirely.

Advice to Management

We don't yet have great synchronization across the company, so the way that 1:1 manager meetings, constructive feedback, team building activities, interviewing, etc. are conducted varies from one department to the next. It would be great to streamline and unify these processes to ensure that everyone at the company receives the same type of management and environment.

6. "Great Company With Growing Pains"

I have been working at Zemax (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people
    laid back
    work hard,play hard environment
    Every employee has a voice
    Great ownership group
    Great office location

Cons

It is a small, quickly growing company and has experienced some growing pains
    Some decisions are made on impulse, without all outcomes being considered
    High Turnover
    Questionable hires made, or people being hired because they need to fill a position, not because it is the right person

Advice to Management

Get more people involved with the hiring process. Sometimes people are hired that just aren't a good fit. Take your time and hire the right person. Try to value the people you have more. A high turnover rate puts a lot of stress on employees that stay

Sep 16, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for the honest feedback! I'm pleased that you enjoy the people and the environment at Zemax.

It’s true – Zemax has roughly doubled in size over the last 2 years and that kind of growth... More

"Super Fun, cool and very casual"

I have been working at Zemax full-time

Pros

The work environment is incredibly casual and fun. There is no dress code, so you can show up to work wearing t-shirts or sandals without a problem. All workers also receive access to all the snacks and drinks in the pantry. The management team is great to work with and are very easy to talk to. The CEO is a hoot and makes work life very entertaining!
    As long as you put forth your best effort and contribute to the companies values, you will be a master Zemax employee in no time. By far the best company I have ever worked for and I plan on continuing to work here for life!

Cons

There really aren't any. Zemax is a constantly growing company and there will always be minor growing pains but the entire company puts their best foot forward to make continuous strides in improvements.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, continue empowering all the employees and lets continue to grow as a team!

Dec 20, 2016 – Director, Engineering Services

Thanks for the excellent feedback! We're glad to hear you enjoy the work environment and culture, and look forward to your continued tenure with company.

"Zemax is growing!"

I have been working at Zemax full-time

Pros

I've been working at Zemax for a few years. We're a growing company in terms of products, sales, and headcount, which is awesome! That means there are always opportunities to take on new challenges and there are new people joining the team. I love that the company is open to internal candidates for open positions, and that Zemax seeks to retain the exceptional members of the team.

Cons

There aren't many! As happens with many growing companies, there's always more work than you can ever get done in a day, but that's better than the alternative. Additionally, we sometimes struggle to communicate across different teams. But overall, we're headed in the right direction!

As also happens with growing companies, sometimes we run out of margaritas at the Cinco de Mayo celebration.

9. "Marketing coordination for company resources"

I have been working at Zemax full-time

Pros

Great company to work for!

Cons

Does not have great snack bar.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Been here for a month and am loving it so far."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Zemax full-time

Pros

Small company with a great 'open door policy' with CEO, management. The base in not bad at all and the commission structure is uncapped with achievable metrics. International company that hires from within and rewards those that perform and excel. Market leading optical design software sells itself. Benefits kicked in right away, no waiting period, and they match up to 5% on 401k.

Cons

Outsourced IT department is the biggest complaint I have. They are small and still growing so I don't let it bother me too much; but not having uniform best practices for IT in place leads to some head scratching.

Advice to Management

None so far.