Zen Internet Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 30, 2017

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Richard Tang

1. "Excellent place to work"

I have been working at Zen Internet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

opportunities available all the time.
    Friendly atmosphere.
    Flexibility.

Cons

not really any major cons that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep things developing as that have been

"Great Starter Job for those with no ambition"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Rochdale, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Rochdale, England (UK)

I worked at Zen Internet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Training
    Good Staff
    Good Canteen
    Good for slacking off
    Good for those who aren't ready for a real job
    Great if you can talk your way to the top.

Cons

Basically overstaffed, too many people, not enough work.
    Great if you like browsing the web all day
    No competent feedback, the senior staff are walking examples of the peter principle
    very laddish culture, don't apply if you've ever read The Guardian
    Bit of a joke in the industry.

Advice to Management

Seriously cut down on staff, starting with the team leaders. Your team is underworked and over paid, with a few good eggs keeping the rest of them afloat.

"The Best company to work for"

Current Employee - Technical Support Consultant in Rochdale, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Consultant in Rochdale, England (UK)

Pros

Great Atmosphere, great place to work.

Cons

none uptil now, not at all

Advice to Management

keep it up

"Proud to work for an independent and innovative company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochdale, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochdale, England (UK)

I have been working at Zen Internet full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity and despite lots of change it continues to maintain a great and true culture, largely thanks to a great MD. Huge potential for the future as an independent company vs many larger corporate competitors.

Cons

If you want things laid on a plate for your then look elsewhere. Change, which Zen has been through a lot of over the last 6 months, is often perceived as a bad thing but it's an essential part of a great company growing.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on understanding the great culture and ensure those around you invest and embody it.

6. "Great place to work"

I worked at Zen Internet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Quality of is people, without whom the business would not be as strong as it is (across the business a real focus on providing great service has ensured continued winning of awards and sector leading reviews on Trust Pilot)

There are a lot of opportunities for people to grow & develop skills across the business.

Open door policy from most managers; being on one site allows good collaboration.

Still manages to retain a small company ethos. Recent changes to introduce divisions in the business will be a good thing as it allows better focus on specific customer segments - with the changes in the industry at the moment this focus is essential to allow Zen to continue its growth.

Cons

Few downsides (as long as the focus on its people continues). Pay is average but not great in some areas

Advice to Management

Look after your people. There has been a lot of movement recently. Some of this is due to natural attrition but some has been down to neglecting the people site in certain departments

"Great place to work - you get out what you put in"

I worked at Zen Internet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I wasn't planning on writing this review, but it seems that some of the bad eggs who I used to work with have taken to this site to air their grievances (which they never bothered to do while they were at the company)

There are lots of opportunities if you drive yourself to find them - I had 3 different roles in my time here and none of them were handed to me on a plate. Feel stifled in your role? Do something about it.

People are welcoming and there is a genuine culture of support

Willing to do things differently - not happy continuing to be the 'old Zen'. People seem to forget it's a technology company. If you don't evolve you get left behind.

Salary reviews - I don't have them any more where I am now. You definitely take them for granted!!

Cons

Look at how managers are implementing the salary review process. It's great having 2 reviews a year, but some managers simply default to the standard percentage across the board. Make sure good performers are *really* recognised.

Sometimes those who moan for the sake of it can bring morale down

Advice to Management

Don't tolerate those negative people who I've mentioned above.

8. "Great Company"

I have been working at Zen Internet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Zen's a great place to work, yes there's been some negative reviews on here, but to be honest those giving the negative reviews probably needed to move on.

Zen's been through some changes, but that's to be expected as the company grows and it's hard to retain the same values that Zen had as a small business, however Richard and Zen are trying to do this, and with a certain degree of success.

The nonsense about Zen struggling and not being around for much longer is the biggest load of BS, half yearly figures show significant growth. Zen's actually made more profit YTD than the whole of last year; struggling business I think not!

Yes, Zen will never set the world on fire with huge profits, but that's never been Richard's goal, it's all about re-investing back into the company and our customers.

Cons

Processes need updating, but the great thing is you can effect changes, doors to management are open and people will listen to ideas, especially now some of necessary dead wood has been cut.

No commission for Sales can viewed as a bad thing, but it does mean sales are focussed on customer needs rather than their own commission cheque at the end of the month. No commission is unique to the market, but well received by customers as they know and appreciate the sales team are acting in their best interests, so in this instance it's probably playing into Zen's hands that the Sales team don't get commission.

Advice to Management

Look after the staff you've got, there's some excellent people who maybe need to feel a bit more appreciated. Let's look to recruit from within before going to market.

"Brilliant"

I worked at Zen Internet full-time

Pros

Fantastic company I miss working here
    Great staff
    Friendly environment

Cons

that I ever left to go to the other job I didnt last in

Advice to Management

keep up the great work

10. ""I would recommend a job here to my closest family members.""

Former Employee - Business Sales Exec
    Former Employee - Business Sales Exec

I worked at Zen Internet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having just stumbled across Glassdoor, I immediately searched for my previous workplace fully expecting this place to be awash with positive reviews. Sad to see that's not the case.

I'm regularly in contact with ex colleagues who are still employed by Zen, and still none have a bad word to say about the place.

I am now the director of a technology business and positively refer to my past experiences at Zen almost daily (much to the disdain of my staff, surely!). For me, the place really set the benchmark for how a business should:

1. Treat their staff
    2. Treat their customers

My training was excellent. Kudos to Phil Harris (hope he's still there), a fantastic teacher who (with hindsight) was so influential in my career to this day. His help ensured I hit the ground running at Zen, despite my lack of previous experience.

The guys I worked with for 4 years were brilliant. We were like family and since my exit I don't believe any of them have moved on, and I don't blame them. There have been tough days over the years where I would have loved nothing more than to be back at Zen. It's a beautiful place to work.

I would recommend a job here to my closest family.

In every business there are lazy, bitter employees, Zen's no different. Those who expect promotion and money to be given to them on a plate are the first to write a negative review instead of actually being a fair, decent. loyal employee and dealing with such things internally.

Cons

I left because Zen was such a lovely place to work, I realised that the longer I stayed the harder it would be to ever leave. I wanted different experiences.

What's wrong with it? They often recruited externally when the perfect candidate may have been internally right under their nose. A few too many plodders, happy to coast at Zen for the rest of their days, leaching off Zen's good nature.

Other than that, nothing.

Advice to Management

Retain the best values from the past.

"You get out of Zen as much as you put in - it's a shame some of the bad reviewers just sat back and took their pay home"

I have been working at Zen Internet full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Laid back attitude
    Recent Restructure
    Twice annual performance/ salary review
    Christmas bonus & party
    Secure & Free parking
    Friendly atmosphere

Cons

It's so laid back it's horizontal at times

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you've been doing, get rid of the last few remaining bits of dead wood & the good ship Zen will continue to sail on course.