Zendesk Reviews | Glassdoor

Zendesk Founder and CEO Mikkel Svane
Mikkel Svane

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Company is going through some growing pains (in 26 reviews)

• Could have more competitive benefits (currently no 401k matching of any kind, health plans could be more subsidized and provide better coverage) (in 11 reviews)

1. "Human Resources"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive management, work life balance is great, benefits and pay is competitive

Cons

None that I can think of

2. "Great stock incentives and spiffs"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Madison, WI

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Culture and stock incentives, lots of perks, flexibility with work life balance. Great manager over the enterprise account executive team.

Cons

Base could be higher to equal off months. Constant change due to growth can make it hard to get established in a territory.

Advice to Management

Keep growing your mindset as the company grows

3. "---"

Pros

Great work-life balance, great company events

Cons

Need to improve transparency within the teams

"Overall positive but has HUGE problems in my opinion"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zendesk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Tons of Snacks
    -Decent work life balance.
    -MOST high level employees will recognize your hard work.
    -For the most part great people to work with.
    -Not too big of a company but not too small. Good work environment.
    -Always growing and leadership is transparent with information.
    -They listen to employees and try to do better for the most part.

Cons

Neighborhood is very interesting to say the least. I understand there is a $120 parking benefit for Zendesk and I appreciate that. However, the Tenderloin is probably not the best place for a growing company. This is something employees cannot control and I know it is a huge negative about Zendesk. There is no way to sugar coat this.

Many employees that were here in the early stages of Zendesk are gone or pushed out. (Talking about employees that started before 2016). In order to survive at Zendesk, favoritism was something you better hope your management has for you. There was a recent hire where a Sr director decided to just build a team with people who use to work for her. This ultimately created a separation from the longer tenured employees and a huge level of favoritism.

The level of favoritism at Zendesk made it hard for my team to stay motivated and work harder. In my opinion, this has to be addressed. I understand there are people you prefer to work with, but it got to a point where if you didn't agree with the direction the team is heading towards. You will be placed in their cross hairs. I also understand change is something that is hard to adapt to. However, if employees in your team are unhappy and leaving one by one. I don't have much to say. That in itself is a red flag.

Advice to Management

I appreciate all the things management has done such as 401k match. 401k match was something that was not around until late 2017. Employees kept asking for it and they delivered. Although the 401k was not a lot, it just shows that management were willing to listen.

Favoritism has to be addressed. If you want people to work harder and be loyal to Zendesk. Leadership needs to realize a simple concept taught in elementary school. Treat others how you want to be treated.

Zendesk Response

May 1, 2018

Hi there, thanks for completing a review! I’d love to chat more about the 'favoritism' issues you raised and try to tackle them - just like we did with 401(k). Please get in touch through email... More

5. "Excellent place to work!"

I have been working at Zendesk full-time

Pros

Zendesk is filled with great people who care about each other and the customers. It is a great place to work not because of stupid gimmicks but because the people and the work are genuine.

Cons

All things considered there really isn't much to complain about.

6. "Best place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance, Free food

Cons

None that I can think of

7. "Great place to intern!"

Pros

Welcoming atmosphere. Able to participate in various company events.

Cons

Onboarding is in the process of being improved.

"Data"

I worked at Zendesk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There have been some amazing hires as of late at Zendesk who are lifting Zendesk up into the space it wants to be in. Specifically the CIO who's been fantastic thus far. There's also much hope and optimism about the company's future and a general consensus feeling that the company is currently in a good place. Business is all good.

Cons

Zendesk's core company values are a complete facade. Many of the people who formed it's once 'humble' culture have now departed and have been replaced by a very mid to senior level hierarchy. I can't count how many VP's and Directors have been hired in the past 2 years but they all report into maybe 3-4 people which creates a ton of friction because of the lack of communication and egos this structure has created.

I echo many of the reviews on here that favoritism is a huge problem at Zendesk which is preventing the company from becoming more modern and data driven. A rat pack group sits atop the social pyramid at Zendesk who have been there since the early days and who are too comfortable to move. They use antiquated data tools and are failing to adapt to a more data driven culture. As a result, no resources are given to many of the technical analytic groups because they've gotten to where they are going on gut, not data. It frustrates analysts across departments because they do not know how their product is performing and can't make informed business decisions.

Finally, Neighborhood wise, the Tenderloin wears on you over time. In ways I felt it affected my job performance because on bad days I refused to leave the building for a walk and couldn't stride into work without having some level of anxiety because of the conditions. This is not to say that Zendesk is not empathetic to the neighborhood, but rather the conditions accentuate the stress in the work environment.

Advice to Management

Take a minute to evaluate your company structure and determine if expanding the mid-level leadership who have the vision but not the current technical skills is what will keep Zendesk successful. Many ideas, not enough execution. Intentions are good but unrealistic given the resources.

Get out of your comfort zone and recognize that problems exist within the product and data organizations. If Zendesk wants to expand and retain its stock price, it needs to put more investment into it's data infrastructure beyond what it has done so far. It is still a mess to wrangle with even with some reorganization.

Zendesk Response

May 1, 2018

Hi there, thanks for completing a review! I’d love to chat more about the values and 'favoritism' issues you raised. Please get in touch through email (standard format). And as for our neighborhood... More

"Best Company I’ve ever worked for (and I’ve worked at Salesforce)"

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fulfilling and Challenging Projects.
    Leadership that supports your goals.
    Smart, motivated, and fun co-workers.
    Great work-life balance.

This is hands down the best company that I’ve ever worked for, and I’ve worked for Salesforce. I have to say that Zendesk does a great job of hiring good-hearted, honest people.

Cons

Location may be a bit unpolished for some but the company has many initiatives and volunteer opportunities to give back to the neighborhood that hosts its offices. It’s easy to complain about the homeless and the drug-users but it’s better to roll up your sleeves and be a part of the solution.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Keep us engaged both at work and with our communities.

"I love it here."

Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have seen so many people who work at Zendesk fully come into their own.

I think this is because this company has such good people, and good people beget the best in each other.

Also because rapid growth and constant transformation brings out both resourcefulness and humility.

Cons

Perhaps as a result of being such a collaborative, inclusive culture, Zendesk is meeting heavy.

It's true that we are in a rough, rough neighborhood. Being a part of a company that is committed to neighborhood involvement to me trumps working within the walls of a cool bubble of a campus that removes me from the city I live in.

Advice to Management

Management is available and always willing to listen.