Zendesk Reviews

Updated May 26, 2020

4.1
Zendesk Founder and  CEO Mikkel Svane
Mikkel Svane
Pros
  • "They had an incredibly flexible PTO policy which made work-life balance better than any other company I've worked for(in 98 reviews)

• "Worked on a small team of great people(in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company is growing rapidly, which leads to natural growing pains from the employee perspective(in 37 reviews)

• "Could have more competitive benefits (currently no 401k matching of any kind, health plans could be more subsidized and provide better coverage)(in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing experience and exposure"

I have been working at Zendesk full-time

Pros

Fast paced and ever changing. Excellent exposure to global projects and a considerate management team. These guys are all about the experience

Cons

A bit top heavy in terms of senior management. Exposure to global projects comes at a cost of a lot overtime, projects are usually managed from US so the EMEA timezone can be difficult to manage at times.

Zendesk2020-01-15

"Great company"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Madison, WI

I have been working at Zendesk full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits and beautiful office space

Cons

High growth means constantly changing expectations from management

Zendesk2020-05-10

""Have fun at daycare""

2.0
    Former Employee - SMB Account Executive

I worked at Zendesk full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Zendesk is a growing company and I think it will continue to succeed. Outside of the sales organization, I think many roles still find it enjoyable. The people I worked alongside were amazing, and I created many friendships from working there. It was a good resume builder and will help you progress your career in technology. New office, free snacks, and RSUs are good perks. It used to be fun, lighthearted, enjoyable. The culture used to be amazing, but things change when a 'startup' grows into an Enterprise company.

Cons

By the time I left, I would echo every comment mentioned in the other negative sales role reviews. The biggest issues are the lack of trust in employees and poor management. Managers are constantly referred to as babysitters, because they spend all their time looking over your shoulder rather than helping you get better. They will Slack you asking why you're not at your desk, and all of your 1-on-1s are spent nitpicking rather than developing your career. They even told us we could no longer work from the couches because it's not productive. There is no flexibility to work from home, because they need to see what you are doing at all times of day. It's never a good time to take PTO; PTO is discouraged. A coworker's wife used to say "have fun at daycare" when she dropped him off at work. Managers are given the roles because of who they are friends with, not because they have the skills necessary to lead. Honestly is said to be encouraged, but you will be punished for sharing differing opinions to what management is doing. They act like they want feedback, but no changes are ever made. We joked that Zendesk sales management said "how could I make it more miserable here?" and then made those decisions. When a rep brought up the recent turnover and unhappiness in the sales org, the head of the department said "it's not Zendesk's job to make sure you're happy at work - it's yours". There is very limited mobility outside of sales. They take measures to make it as difficult as possible to leave the sales organization. I've seen managers that have postponed reps' internal interviews to move outside of sales because the employee 'already has a job'. If you do get an offer to move outside of sales, they make you wait 2 more months before you can move to that role so they can fill your spot. And they are continually adding layers to the sales organization that make it harder and harder to get anywhere. There used to be 3 levels of the sales roles, now there are at least 6. The pay is low compared to other software companies, especially when you consider the fact that SMB AEs have essentially a 2-for-1 job. You are both an account executive selling new business/expansion and an account manager (which takes up the majority of your time and brings in the least ROI). Most companies pay at least $90k for each role individually. It’s become apparent that they care more about numbers than you as a person now. SMB specifically is given the least amount of resources and support, but brings in the most revenue for the company. Quotas are unattainable, as in hitting 50% is lucky, yet continue to rise. You only make it if you luck out with good accounts that grow on their own. Customers’ opinions of Zendesk have grown negative over the last year or so. They see Zendesk as overpriced, lacking innovation, and having “terrible customer service”, which you regularly hear - "this is ironic for a customer service software company." Those all make it harder to sell. I was told I was making a mistake for leaving, and I would regret it. I haven't for one second. I haven't met anyone who has regretted it that has left. Now I'm trying to reverse the management "PTSD" that I gained from working at Zendesk at my new company - where I am fairly compensated, have great management, and am trusted to do my job. Be careful - just because the office looks cool doesn't mean the culture is there anymore. In fact, you can't even sit on those couches they brag about.

Zendesk2020-04-14
  4. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Customer Advocacy Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zendesk full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can tell they really care about the people and try their best to support you in your needs

Cons

Rather large company, people dont want to take ownership of things outside their wheelhouse and will punt you to other people

Zendesk2020-04-14

"Great environment with a lot of energy!"

Current Employee - SMB Account Executive in Madison, WI

I have been working at Zendesk full-time

Pros

The people at Zendesk are by far the best part

Cons

The company used to have a startup culture and has become much more corporate in the last couple of years.

Zendesk2020-04-16

"Zendesk is a good place to work."

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Zendesk full-time

Pros

Great management, benefits and fair compensation

Cons

Happy with Zendesk and the team there

Zendesk2020-03-25

"Great Place to work and amazing people to work with"

Current Employee - Trainer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zendesk full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Zendesk employees from Associate to C-Staff are humble and approachable. People are always open to talk with you or have a meeting with you regardless of your title. In my experience, Managers love to help you grow and promote even if it's to another team internally. Finally, I feel supported by my team, my manager(s), and the company in my personal development and career growth. Highly recommend working here!

Cons

There are some growing pains as the company moves into solidifying a stance as an Enterprise business serving all types of businesses. This honestly isn't a "con" since this would be true for any company growing from Startup, to SMB, to Enterprise, to all-encompassing. So, this isn't a con per se. Just know there are some growing pains with processes or goals, but nothing to detour you from working here! :)

Zendesk2020-02-19
  8. "Culture"

I worked at Zendesk full-time

Pros

Zendesk takes care of their employees. They want the best for them at work and outside of work. Great company culture and trying to include everyone and make sure employees are happy.

Cons

Very focused on short-term, quick outcomes and do not focus on big picture at times. But make it clear, so not much of a con.

Zendesk2020-03-03

"Like every place, some pros and cons, but overall great place to work & execs care about employees -"

I worked at Zendesk full-time

Pros

- Great teams and very smart people - Great work/life balance - In general, the execs are great, not perfect, but noone is - Good product vision and philosophy

Cons

- Can have some favoritism if you're in with the right people - Getting big with big company slow decision making - Sometimes you have too many VPs to discuss an issue but solutions take too long to build due to consensus centered decision making

Zendesk2020-02-29

"Constant Change with one goal: more success"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Madison, WI

I have been working at Zendesk full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Zendesk continues to be in a 'high growth phase' and has been for years. This gives the company a chance to create new processes, roles, teams, targets, and expectations. The company promotes from within and gives employees the opportunity to jump into jobs they may not have been qualified for outside of Zendesk. The company has incredibly high expectations for each person and the sales quotas are a clear reflection of this. The team dynamics and friendly competition is one of the top reasons people can be happy here. Upper Management/Directors encourage you to work together with an incredible amount of autonomy - find out what works and what doesn't. If it doesn't, change it and start over.

Cons

Zendesk isn't the same company the founders claimed to have started. It's not an easy-going, laid back, play ping-pong during the day and nap on your break type of organization. It's an organization that is changing so often the team rarely has time to settle into the new changes. The amount of change is unlike anything I could have imagined. I am not sure we ever truly let a plan play out and calculate results before implementing something else. Exciting? Yes. Stressful? Yes. We run a lean team and rely on everyone to step up. It's hard to hide when sales, support, ops, all need everyone on board and working 100%.

Zendesk2020-02-09