Zendesk Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Zendesk Founder and CEO Mikkel Svane
Mikkel Svane

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Upward mobility, great work/life balance (in 52 reviews)

• Amazing culture, great people to work with (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Location (Tenderloin) and minor growing pains as we continue to grow rapidly (in 23 reviews)

• Could have more competitive benefits (currently no 401k matching of any kind, health plans could be more subsidized and provide better coverage) (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Welcoming environment - this is the first company that I've worked for where office politics weren't at play on Day 1.

Enthusiastic staff - while workloads can be daunting, getting things done correctly is first and foremost on everyone's mind. The overall vibe is very team-centric.

Onboarding is a snap - I've had everything necessary to do my job since my first day in the office. This includes hardware (workstation and peripherals), software (operational applications, task-specific applications), security (right-sized access to data/tools) and mentoring (vast team knowledge and a role-related "buddy" to answer any questions). New hires need to get up to speed quickly, and this enables it.

Freedom to work where you are comfortable. Prefer a booth or a couch over sitting at your desk? No problem - there are plenty of different types of spots to settle in to get work done. Use of technology to meet also bridges communication gaps that are typically present in companies with teams that are literally based around the world.

Reduced overhead. Need a mouse? Get one. There's no need for a 5-day turnaround with requisitioning something that'd cost less than the time it would take to request it. Employees are enabled to make decisions and get things done that are in the best interest of the organization.

Cons

There is much work to be done - if you aren't accustomed to a fast-paced, constantly-changing environment, this can be exasperating. Fortunately, management has acknowledged this is and is in the process of right-sizing the organization for the workload.

Some people may be challenged by the open-concept office layout - if you come from a land of white noise and cubicle farms, there are plenty of audio and visual distractions to deal with.

Overall, this is still a green organization. Many employees have been with the company from the early days, so there is sometimes a lack of insight that could streamline procedures.

2. "Amazing Company All Around!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People, People, People. You'll here this over and over starting from the first phone interview and it's TRUE! Amazing how the company has grown and still maintained it's culture.

Cons

Still relatively new but so far nothing.

3. "A company that gets it right"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Madison, WI

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Zendesk is truly an awesome company to work for, and for many reasons. I've found the most impactful reasons are their understanding of work-life balance, parental leave (regardless of gender), and their willingness to let their employees innovate and self-manage.

Cons

It's really difficult to find something that would be negative about Zendesk — I honestly can't say much, other than perhaps it is difficult to experience the growing pains at times, but that comes with the territory of a fast paced industry.

Advice to Management

Keep looking out for your employees and their families. Salaries are great, but understanding the importance of family life and being ahead of the competition in this regard is extremely difficult to come by.

4. "So good"

Current Employee - Product Management in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a ton to do., ambitious business and product goals, and people all striving for success. All while being good people. So refreshing in the Bay Area to have that combination of high expectations and being good people.

Cons

I mean - I'm digging deep here, but the Powell Street BART station isn't the best...

Advice to Management

Keep up the focus on high output, investment in product, and ensuring we only hire people who play nice. Also - hire and invest in amazing user experience design leadership.

5. "Really enjoyed working there!"

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Cal-Ida, CA
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Cal-Ida, CA

I worked at Zendesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, loved working there! I felt respected as well everyone made sure you felt apart of the team. Really cool atmosphere as well.

Cons

Could have better benefits, a lot of jumping around on different tasks.

Advice to Management

Improve your benefit package!

"Happy to be part of the team"

I have been working at Zendesk full-time

Pros

Very understanding and flexible culture. There’s so much to do that you can contribute day 1. Easy commute. Great snacks and simple lunches. Generous stock grants

Cons

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of urgency to get things done. A few people work really hard, but a number of people get away with being complacent and doing very little

Advice to Management

Work-life balance is important, but abuse of the “balance part” by some is disengaging for those that want a fulfilling career

"I'm genuinely excited to come to work"

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance like no other, cool and smart people, the power to identify a problem and actually solve it (rather than having to navigate all these backchannels and stakeholders).

Cons

I think satisfaction differs a ton org to org. If your manager/team leaders do not mesh with you, I think your experience here would be really negative. Also there's a tendency to hire people that are very similar to you-- we need diversity up in here!

Advice to Management

Value your employees that are doing good work with a positive attitude- make them feel heard.

8. "Product Designer"

Current Employee - Product Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People, opportunity, design leadership, trust

Cons

Not enough women in leadership

9. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Associate Customer Advocate in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Associate Customer Advocate in Madison, WI

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Room for growth, great benefits, great work environment, good salary and great perks, colleagues are awesome and always happy to help.

Cons

None at all, nothing to say, all is good I have no idea what else to add to reach the 20
    Words

Advice to Management

Keep it up, you're doing an amazing job

"Company Has Gone Toxic - Hopefully it Can Recover"

I have been working at Zendesk full-time

Pros

- Awesome product with so much potential to continue to disrupt the marketplace to win business away from its key competitors.

- Some awesome people that have pride in the company and like to work as a team, albeit these people are leaving quickly.

- Good perks and nice offices.

- Despite all negative internal changes the company has made in the last year the reputation in the marketplace is still somewhat solid.

Cons

- Contrary to the fake Glassdoor posts that are made by people on their first week at Zendesk many people fear for their jobs or are actively looking to leave.

- Over the last year the company made some very bad leadership hires, like the Chief Revenue Officer and the sales leadership he brought in. These people lack the experience to do their jobs, make very poor decisions and have moved the company's culture from one that once promoted trust, collaboration and a work hard - play hard attitude to one that is demoralizing and toxic due to these leader's autocratic management style and poor decisions.

- Sales territories are always changing because the new leadership does not understand the market and only knows inside sales . As a result they cannot develop an effective sales organization focused on SMB through Enterprise sales. This has led to very few people making their numbers.

- The moral of the company has gone into the crapper since bringing on the new leaderships, particularly in sales and marketing. People are leaving as fast as they can or are being pushed out due to the bad decisions.
    - This company does not promote diversity and may discriminate. If you are not white or asian, liberal and under 35 your chances of being hired are very low. If you are hired you will not last more than a couple of years before you are pushed out.

Advice to Management

Please fix this train wreck you have created. The new leaders are not good for the company's culture and will ultimately not enable us to become a $1 billion company by 2020. You must make changes now before we have lost all of our talent, before more bad decisions are made and before our sales are negatively impacted. Also you must promote diversity in the workplace. Not just with race, but also with age, marital status and sexual status. Every year we make a big deal to portray that we support diversity by participating in Pride. We need to tear down this false facade, practice what we preach and be more inclusive to all. We need more than just white or asian twenty-somethings working for us.