Zendesk Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Zendesk Founder and CEO Mikkel Svane
Mikkel Svane

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Amazing work culture with a great work/life balance" (in 76 reviews)

• "The company hires great people so the atmosphere is extremely upbeat and positive" (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "Company is going through some growing pains" (in 26 reviews)

• "Could have more competitive benefits (currently no 401k matching of any kind, health plans could be more subsidized and provide better coverage)" (in 11 reviews)

1. "Growth & Innovation"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Zendesk is growing rapidly and leading the customer service industry. The management is strong and experienced executives continue to be hired as necessary. Employee equity is generous and work-life balance is exceptional. Diversity is a core principle of the organization.

Cons

With 2,300+ employees now hierarchy is an inevitability. Red tape is an increasing part of work life, so it’s important to ensure open communication with your manager.

Advice to Management

Give young managers the opportunity to showcase their skills. They are attracted to the company for all the right reasons: industry leadership, compensation, work culture, company mission and vision - so they are talented, but need continuous opportunities to display their aptitude.

2. "I love it here"

Pros

Brilliant onboarding
    Friendly people
    Challenging and interesting work
    Community involvement. SF offices are in a challenging area. Zendesk do not complain. They work to make it better. On day one, I did volunteer work. Literally amazing.
    People help each other to succeed.

Cons

I seriously wish I had joined years ago. I genuinely love it here.

Advice to Management

Keep the company culture. It works!

3. "A rare find"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Madison, WI

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The company truly cares about it's employees. It's not lip service, and they believe in family first.
    - They constantly ask for input from you and customers to make the workplace, and product better.
    - Pay is good, perks are amazing (including 16 weeks of paid parental leave.) Tons of room for growth and opportunity to move up.

Cons

Nothing. They've exceeded my expectations compared to anywhere I've ever worked, and I've been in the workforce for over 15 years.

Advice to Management

Continue the path that you're on.

4. "Sales Development Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Madison, WI

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun work env. (happy hours, lunches, work outings, great people(literally have not met anyone in my 250 person office I did not like), snacks and beverages all provided.

Great sales org - upper management is approachable and is constantly trying to improve work processes and workflows.

Designed path to promotion (in the one year here I have seen many people get promoted within, they drive to grow employees for the long term..actually tho)

Trainings are extensive to prepare you through every role, there is no way you will be hung out to dry when it comes to your role

Great time off (4 weeks 2 weeks sick maternity leave)

Stock options

401k Match

Full Benefits

Employee Groups of all types for support

Cons

High growth company - growing pains can always be tough but success isnt a bad thing is it? Because the company is rapidly growing there are times reorganization and compensation is changed. Never have felt like I was cheated in anyway, this process is always done fairly and well thought out by upper management.

"No longer the company it once was"

Pros

- Very high work / life balance. I probably considered it one of the best especially for a Silicon Valley company
    - Leadership team is very approachable
    - Business is going strong, possibly due to a really strong sales team. Stock price keeps breaking record high all the time in the past couple months!
    - Pretty good brand recognition. Customers are actually loving the product! I think it’s still pretty cool to have random people saying “Oh you’re working for Zendesk? I love you guys’ product, it helps my small business a lot!!”
    - Global company, quite a good chance you’ll get to travel to see other offices around the world when you reach certain seniority level
    - The standard Silicon Valley company’s perks: commuter benefits, snacks, 401k, health insurance, all the usual stuffs

Cons

- Especially in Engineering org, feels like there is zero accountability and no rewards. I’m not talking about punishing people for mistakes but you still have to have some sort of accountability. Projects can go on forever and people get stuck in one project for months if not years. At the same time, people who deliver good job are simply not rewarded.
    - The classic “if everyone owns it, nobody owns it”.
    - Lots of growing pains. People start to introduce processes, middle management, bogus KPI or goals, cost cutting exercise, etc.
    - No clear direction for career advancement. It works really well if you’re already at Staff or Architect level but if you’re a junior trying to climb up the career ladder, it’s close to non existent.
    - Total compensation seems to be much lower than industry standard, especially in Silicon Valley where a 10 people in-garage based startup is valued at some billion dollars and able to throw money to attract the best talents.
    - I will repeat other reviews about office location. It can be daunting to go to work in such an environment every day. Again, this is not being ignorant to the real issue there but there is this mental stress you accrue subconsciously that will affect you. Some people can’t take it anymore, others manage to ignore it. Zendesk representative will probably respond to this message by saying that Zendesk is “committed” to work to improve the area but in my opinion there are various other way to still get involved and not making the location the office where all employees should go to

Advice to Management

Really open your ears and listen to your employees. Get rid of the “I’ve been in the industry for X number of years” attitude. Never punish anyone for mistake but always reward a good work!

"Company values are a farce and selling into enterprise is a farce. ."

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The regular employees are fantastic!

Cons

-- so much favoritism it's ridiculous the company has survived this long
    -- culture and values are a farce. HR is most definitely not for the people.
       -- don't respond to HR replies here, you will be put on a pip and let go
    --so many middle management levels due to so many incompetent people
    --Sales does a reorg ever 6 months -- so you are losing and gaining account as soon as you get any traction - this applies to new accounts and current accounts. Customers don't know who to go to!
    - company has talked about selling into enterprise level accounts for a few years now, but still has not equipped sales with use cases, collateral to sell into that market.
    -- base salary is high but quotas are unattainable.
    --most sales reps sit in SF, some in Madison office. You have SF selling into East coast -- doesn't work.

Advice to Management

-- If you are serious of going upmarket - get rid of all executives and middle management -- nobody currently knows how to do it, or create materials to sell to that group.
    -- HR - Support the employees....not management. It's disgusting that you call yourself HR.

Zendesk Response

Jul 18, 2018

Thanks for the strong feedback.
    We are very sorry that you didn’t have/arent having a good experience at Zendesk and we'd love the opportunity to address your feedback.
    To be clear, we have had... More

"Marketing"

I have been working at Zendesk full-time

Pros

Fun. Inspiring. Global. Growing quickly and lots of career advance opportunity.

Cons

Some churn at senior leadership team recently, but that seems to have stabilized.

8. "Human Resources"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive management, work life balance is great, benefits and pay is competitive

Cons

None that I can think of

9. "Great stock incentives and spiffs"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Madison, WI

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Culture and stock incentives, lots of perks, flexibility with work life balance. Great manager over the enterprise account executive team.

Cons

Base could be higher to equal off months. Constant change due to growth can make it hard to get established in a territory.

Advice to Management

Keep growing your mindset as the company grows

"Data"

I worked at Zendesk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There have been some amazing hires as of late at Zendesk who are lifting Zendesk up into the space it wants to be in. Specifically the CIO who's been fantastic thus far. There's also much hope and optimism about the company's future and a general consensus feeling that the company is currently in a good place. Business is all good.

Cons

Zendesk's core company values are a complete facade. Many of the people who formed it's once 'humble' culture have now departed and have been replaced by a very mid to senior level hierarchy. I can't count how many VP's and Directors have been hired in the past 2 years but they all report into maybe 3-4 people which creates a ton of friction because of the lack of communication and egos this structure has created.

I echo many of the reviews on here that favoritism is a huge problem at Zendesk which is preventing the company from becoming more modern and data driven. A rat pack group sits atop the social pyramid at Zendesk who have been there since the early days and who are too comfortable to move. They use antiquated data tools and are failing to adapt to a more data driven culture. As a result, no resources are given to many of the technical analytic groups because they've gotten to where they are going on gut, not data. It frustrates analysts across departments because they do not know how their product is performing and can't make informed business decisions.

Finally, Neighborhood wise, the Tenderloin wears on you over time. In ways I felt it affected my job performance because on bad days I refused to leave the building for a walk and couldn't stride into work without having some level of anxiety because of the conditions. This is not to say that Zendesk is not empathetic to the neighborhood, but rather the conditions accentuate the stress in the work environment.

Advice to Management

Take a minute to evaluate your company structure and determine if expanding the mid-level leadership who have the vision but not the current technical skills is what will keep Zendesk successful. Many ideas, not enough execution. Intentions are good but unrealistic given the resources.

Get out of your comfort zone and recognize that problems exist within the product and data organizations. If Zendesk wants to expand and retain its stock price, it needs to put more investment into it's data infrastructure beyond what it has done so far. It is still a mess to wrangle with even with some reorganization.

Zendesk Response

May 1, 2018

Hi there, thanks for completing a review! I’d love to chat more about the values and 'favoritism' issues you raised. Please get in touch through email (standard format). And as for our neighborhood... More