Zendesk Reviews

Updated May 15, 2021

4.3
Zendesk Founder and  CEO Mikkel Svane
Mikkel Svane
Pros
  • "Flexibility and great work life balance(in 108 reviews)

• "great culture, really take care of you(in 54 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The company is growing rapidly, which leads to natural growing pains from the employee perspective(in 38 reviews)

• "Could have more competitive benefits (currently no 401k matching of any kind, health plans could be more subsidized and provide better coverage)(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of Zendesk and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year
      Featured Review

A company that really values people and relationships

Sep 8, 2020 - Instructional Designer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company culture is great -- they really value people and relationships, and communicate well. They've been really supportive of their employees throughout Covid and there are interesting, creative initiatives that help us feel connected despite the distance.

Cons

The base salary is a bit on the low side compared to instructional design salaries elsewhere in tech in the Bay Area.

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Love working here

May 12, 2021 - Product Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Award-winning team, great leadership, positive culture

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to make things happen as expected in a larger company

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

I would not recommend Zendesk to a friend.

Apr 5, 2021 - Sales in Madison, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Dedicated, intelligent co-workers. People went out of their way to share best practices and help one another find success. * RSUs and ESPP. * Great office space with free food and drinks. * Exceptional PTO policy.

Cons

* I could not recommend Zendesk as a good place to work because of the immature and inconsistent management. There's a reason why turnover on my team was high. Poor communication, lack of direction, micromanaging and an overall lack of empathy plagued my department. * Existing team members trained new hires on everything, without additional compensation. Enablement as a whole was pretty much non-existent. * Pay was significantly lower than industry standard. * Lack of diversity. I could count BIPOC in my office on one hand.

18 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Company to work for

May 9, 2021 - Marketing Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

They care about their employees

Cons

None, I loved working there

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Yes to Zendesk!

May 11, 2021 - Marketing Specialist in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Continued amazing culture, focus on customers and employees, values innovative ideas and action oriented people

Cons

high growth has led to occasional siloed pockets of information across teams

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company!

Apr 28, 2021 - Senior Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Social impact work, inclusive culture, the people, worklife balance

Cons

high growth so teams can be siloed

7. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Customer Advocacy is a Mess

Apr 14, 2021 - Customer Advocate in Madison, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Mostly nice people who are pleasant to interact with.

Cons

- Extreme micro-management. - High stress. - Support management team is clueless. - No care is given to support team's mental health. - Zendesk is a customer service software company that does not treat its own customer support team members well.

8 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Love the company

Apr 9, 2021 - SMB Account Executive in Madison, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, compensation, management, and remote work.

Cons

Health insurance could be cheaper. It isn't bad health insurance by any means, but it isn't the best I've seen.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

AMAZING but tough job without much IT knowledge/experience

Jan 13, 2021 - SMB Account Executive in Madison, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Incredible pay- both base and commission. Nearly limitless perks. Awesome benefits. Modern, downtown office with a view, Kombucha and beer on tap. Free fully stocked kitchen. 2 week training in California, annual trips with a pretty unlimited spending budget. Great people, great culture. Cool startup vibe.

Cons

Very complex product- an endless amount to know with endless questions, and constantly changing. Can be tough getting answers for prospects and customers which leads to a lot of frustration on both ends. Can also be very difficult talking to super technical IT folks without having a technical background.

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Could not be happier... to have moved on

Feb 10, 2021 - Account Executive in Madison, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

For the most part, good benefits and you will have all of the tech resources you need to do your job. A great entry into the service and SaaS world and an impressive resume builder. They do a great job recruiting and hiring intelligent and fun individuals and if you want an in-office job they will be returning in some form post covid. As an SDR and AE you have the name recognition and a fairly steady flow of inbound leads & you’re able to work and close expansions.

Cons

Of course there were fun times like happy hours and team events, but overall the sales organization at Zendesk was honestly exhausting and toxic. Someone shared this with me and it 100% sums up my experience at Zendesk, “I thought I was at a company with a great culture until I left and realized I was just at a place where I worked with my friends” When I started, people genuinely loved their jobs and had a work life balance - that was not the case for me or many of my colleagues. To highlight a few reasons: - Culture fell to the wayside, and while there were some added benefits for your wellbeing during covid, it was a band aid approach. - While there are 20 PTO and 10 sick days, most sales reps could not take all or even a majority of them because of high quotas. - If there was a “fair” quota, it did not exist for long and sales reps were treated as machines to pump out their number. - Salaries are below market standards with little to no room to negotiate during internal promotions. - This past year there were widespread examples of new reps with less experience (external and internal) with higher salaries than tenured reps. When it was brought up to management, reps were shamed for sharing salaries. - If you are hired into a new role or there is a major change to the department, forget your work life balance - hello overtime, stress & burnout! The level of micromanagement and lack of trust was outstanding. Management’s focus was rarely on what worked well for the individual rep and only on how to keep everyone “in check”. Certain managers discouraged or even prohibited reps from leaving their desk to work in soft spaces around the office, from booking rooms to have meetings/make calls in, or pre-covid from having the flexibility to work from home. There were a few managers that were truly great but they were the exception and oftentimes had to stick their neck out on behalf of their team. Another extremely frustrating part of Zendesk was the career progression. - The ability to transition to other departments was advertised and encouraged during the interview process, but that was not the case. - There was a lack of consistency with internal promotions and of the requirements to be considered. - Promotion requirements went from a holistic approach on brand, contribution, activity, and attainment, to an added tenure requirement, and ended where the main focus was on quota attainment. - Even during a pandemic, internal reps who came close on attainment were not considered, despite consistently high activities and who were qualified on all other fronts. I was honestly lucky with my experience of promotions, but I witnessed many talented and exceptional peers screwed over, and ultimately it all came down to internal politics and favoritism. If you can put your head down and be a compliant worker who shows up, does not speak in opposition, and can ignore everything except what absolutely infuriates you, then you will do fine in the sales org at Zendesk. If you want to feel like you're making an impact and thrive in a collaborative, feedback welcomed culture, you'll probably be disappointed. I’m grateful for my experience and the friends I’ve made, but unfortunately for Zendesk, no one I’ve spoken with has regretted leaving, their only regret was thinking something would change and waiting it out as long as they did.

38 people found this review helpful