Zendesk Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Zendesk Founder and CEO Mikkel Svane
Mikkel Svane

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Amazing work culture with a great work/life balance" (in 77 reviews)

• "The company hires great people so the atmosphere is extremely upbeat and positive" (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lots of growing pains, figuring out how best to do things-- which is a learning opportunity still" (in 26 reviews)

• "Could have more competitive benefits (currently no 401k matching of any kind, health plans could be more subsidized and provide better coverage)" (in 11 reviews)

1. "So far, so great!"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture means something and it's telling when they commit to making it a positive workplace environment for everyone. Also great to see the commitment to community and the impact the business has on the world - there are limitless ways to contribute and feel like you're making a positive impact.

Cons

Organization and structurally changing, so nothing seems nailed down for very long. You have to be able to roll with the punches as the company continues to grow exponentially.

2. "Awesome Company"

I have been working at Zendesk full-time

Pros

Great culture, awesome people and fast growing

Cons

Structure, process, no food, location and N/A

3. "Great company. Fast paced and fast growing"

Current Employee - Velocity Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Velocity Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clear path to promotion, high energy work environment, decent work/life balance

Cons

Things change so fast that it takes effort to keep up. Territories are not split evenly all the time.

Advice to Management

There is obvious favoritism, but don’t let that cloud your judgement

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zendesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits
    Top of the line snacks
    A ton of company events to attend

Cons

Management isn't as transparent
    No real process to integrate everyone to be a part of the team

Advice to Management

Push for an inclusive team dynamic, there are always other narratives that need to be explored.
    I know ERGs are starting to roll out (which is great) but internal team recognition is also great

"Bully managers and Bad HR mars whats otherwise a good env"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zendesk full-time

Pros

Catered Lunch once a week
    Parties
    Nice office

Cons

Location: Hope you like walking past poop and needles every morning!

HR protects the company: Bring up issues about your manager and they'll either forward them to the manager themselves or ignore them. Usually they did the former.

Managers have total power: If your manager doesn't like you, you're not going to last at the company. They have total discretion to determine who gets to do what, and will assign you no work, then criticize you for doing no work.

Finally, while the non-engineering onboarding was comprehensive, the engineering onboarding was virtually nonexistent.

Advice to Management

Treat the employees who arent managers with some respect. They work there too. If someone brings up problems with their manager, dont just forward it to the manager and ignore the employee.

Zendesk Response

Sep 11, 2018

Thanks for your thorough review. You make some really interesting points and we’d love to chat about them some more, particularly your comments around on-boarding, managers and HR so we can look in... More

"Good executive team. Healthy culture. Solid product."

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The executive team is socially conscious, data & people driven and comprised of inspiring individuals.

The company places significant emphasis on developing its people, providing a safe and healthy working environment, promoting diversity & inclusion, and creating career tracks for professional growth.

The product suite is competitive, customers love us (really), and there is a deliberate path to growth.

Cons

The company has grown significantly in the past few years which comes with the expected challenges of scaling, preserving culture, and developing internal tools and training.

As a publicly traded company, there are the usual stresses and demands to meet quarterly numbers.

Advice to Management

Provide recruiters more resources to attract top talent, especially in competitive markets.

Focus development on the core products to make our move upmarket easier.
    -----------------
    There is occasional shaming and bias towards non-American liberal political views and attitudes. This coming from an immigrant and member of a minority who neither identifies as conservative or liberal. We are a global organization. Equality and fairness is not defined only by the extreme liberal views and culture of San Francisco, California.

"Management infested with jerks n "bros""

I have been working at Zendesk full-time

Pros

Get to tell folks back home that you're a hip cat who's in SF working in tech even in reality you are in BOTTOM TIER web outfit being led around by a bunch of doochey frat boy types.

Cons

Not a particularly diverse company. Unprofessional know-it-all "bro" types galore. Phony charity work that is nothing more than PR and a photo-op

"Work/life balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My experience at Zendesk has been the best of my career. I've been supported in my career development and I work with some really wonderful, talented people.

The environment is generally collaborative without a lot of bureaucracy getting in the way of new ideas. Most employees are approachable and transparent and genuinely want to help each other succeed.

I love our global structure because I get to work and exchange ideas with coworkers all over the world and sometimes travel to collaborate in person. These connections across cultures have contributed greatly to my professional and personal growth.

Our benefits are excellent and our office spaces are beautiful and well taken care of. Learning & development is promoted on an individual and team level. Our events and holiday parties are really fun without being ostentatious.

I have amazing work/life balance; It's a real value here, not just lip service. I work 45 hours per week on average and my productivity is higher than jobs where I worked 60+ because I love what I do.

Cons

Working in the Tenderloin is very stressful. As some employees have mentioned, voicing that you don't like coming here every day is dismissed by many as an insult to our neighbors. I reject that leap; I care a lot about the people who live here and I volunteer with and donate to local organizations. I also avoid coming into work because I do not feel safe. I've personally been grabbed by a stranger, stepped on used needles, heard gunshots, and seen several acts of violence- all within a few feet of our offices. We live in a city and I accept some level of risk and danger, but this is too much.

Advice to Management

Please take SF employees' safety concerns seriously and move the office to a safer neighborhood. We don't need to work in the Tenderloin to volunteer here and support local orgs.

Consolidate to one building in SF. Meetings rarely (if ever) start on time because someone is always running late from another building.

Continue to build on our Learning & Development offerings, including a lot more management training. Also offer training on specific skills. Survey the employees to find out what they need to learn to be successful.

Allow a reasonable amount of global travel. When employees build strong relationships with their peers in other countries it contributes immensely to the quality of work and productivity. You just can't make the same kind of connections over a Zoom call.

Stay humblident.

9. "Field Marketing"

I have been working at Zendesk part-time

Pros

Amazing company to work for!

Cons

The company is growing rapidly and therefore communication is key within your team and others you work and interact with.

"A rare find"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Madison, WI

I have been working at Zendesk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The company truly cares about it's employees. It's not lip service, and they believe in family first.
    - They constantly ask for input from you and customers to make the workplace, and product better.
    - Pay is good, perks are amazing (including 16 weeks of paid parental leave.) Tons of room for growth and opportunity to move up.

Cons

Nothing. They've exceeded my expectations compared to anywhere I've ever worked, and I've been in the workforce for over 15 years.

Advice to Management

Continue the path that you're on.