Zenefits Benefits Advisor Reviews | Glassdoor

Jay Fulcher
  1. "Benefits Advisor"

Current Employee - Benefits Advisor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's never dull at Zenefits! The volume of business can be overwhelming at times; however, I much prefer that to scrounging for things to do. It's unique in that a knowledge of the insurance industry is key, but you must also have a working knowledge of software and the ability to pick things up quickly. Frequent changes are a way of life here. I've found that those who have a hard time adjusting don't tend to last long. The culture is young and fun and the floor plan is open. It takes a bit to get used to the noise level but I don't know how I would function without it now. Conference rooms are available for client calls. The kitchen is fully stocked, lunches are catered daily and vacation time is unlimited. We function by way of accountability. Micromanaging is a non-issue. It's a shame they're cutting broker services although an understandable business decision.

Cons

Start-ups always come with cons. It can be frustrating to constantly adjust processes and best practices; however, it's also fantastic to be part of the process in determining those.

Zenefits2017-10-24

"They fired me"

Former Employee - Benefits Advisor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Zenefits full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun place to work and great culture

Cons

Unstable and repeated firing of everyone

Zenefits2019-02-20
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Benefits Advisor"

Current Employee - Benefits Advisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

New CEO is transparent about his Goals for the company.

Cons

Prior to new CEO, the company did not provide as much direction.

Advice to Management

continue being transparent with the company's goals.

Zenefits2018-03-06

"Promising Shift in Direction"

Current Employee - Benefits Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great teammates, strong benefits, decent pay, flexible time off, new focus on company culture, strong promise in SaaS technology, current leadership is most promising yet

Cons

Layoffs, questionable management decisions, rotating door leadership, customer churn, sense of doom for certain departments, palpable disconnect in focus and priorities between customer-facing teams and product teams

Advice to Management

I would encourage more honesty and frankness in decision making. New leadership tends to phrase things in one way when speaking to a department and in another way when speaking to another department, as though we don't communicate routinely with each other. It creates a sense of mixed signals and breeds distrust of leadership, especially after all of the tumultuous changes we've gone through. I've seen a lot of capable veterans burn out and abandon ship or get pushed out. I think we are headed in the right direction, but buy-in is still tough.

Zenefits2017-08-19

"Too many got GREEDY - with a sub-par product (HCM competitors are MUCH better)"

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stocked fridges Smart, talented co-workers who cared more about the clients than upper management did. Look up the term "Ghosting"...

Cons

Clients are constantly challenged by the software - which continues to not support a true all-in-one HRIS. Lack of stability will forever doom new growth. Good luck recruiting talent (that is if the company can ever grow past it's current position). Churn - face it, clients are leaving faster than your reduced sales team can "sell". Look for other states to follow WA and determine that offering free software is an enticement and eventually this will devastate the company, because the software is not strong enough to justify the cost (no matter how nominal).

Advice to Management

Either sell or go IPO as soon as possible - because the VC sharks need the money...and you can possibly swindle the public into the dream of what the company could have been!

Zenefits2017-04-18

"Rough Gig"

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best people I have ever worked with. I miss my Zenefriends every day

Cons

I know that it is cliche, but the management is terrible.

Advice to Management

My advice would be that they replace most of the management. The employees fight for a solid, hard-working culture as the management fights to destroy it.

Zenefits2017-02-17

"Miserable place to work with awful management"

Current Employee - Benefits Advisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

There's a few friendly coworkers left after the third round of layoffs.

Cons

- extremely unstable environment - HR department lies to prevent employees from receiving bonuses - upper management has no clue what they are doing, yet in each round of layoffs (3 so far) they somehow keep their jobs - teams compete and complain instead of collaborate - managers are promoted due to tenure, not achievement/ability to manage - zero company direction - new executives are cutthroat

Advice to Management

Understand the product and customer before making drastic changes that completely screws over clients and employees.

Zenefits2017-02-24

"Too little too late"

Current Employee - Benefits Advisor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible time off Benefits are pretty good Unlimited snacks The talented people I have gotten to know and have worked with over the past year and a half.

Cons

Management has no clue what they are doing. No one in a leadership role has any experience in the insurance industry. Decisions were made on how to make changes to the department without thoroughly thinking and planning the changes. No rhyme or reason why things are done.

Advice to Management

More people in management need to have a background in insurance or come from a brokers office.

Zenefits2017-02-15

"Too disorganized"

Associate Benefits Advisor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Zenefits

Pros

Free lunch/snacks Great office views Cool and interesting product Free happy hours/tickets to professional ball games

Cons

There is absolutely no structure. It quite honestly feels as if we are all running around the office as headless chickens. They have no problem switching an employee from one position to a completely different one with absolutely no prior notice. Different managers are giving very different instructions/tasks to an employee, causing a bigger mess and more confusion. The workload is ridiculous for the amount of pay given. Unless you aspire to become a manager for insurance brokers or a large group benefits advisor, there really isn't any opportunity for significant growth.

Advice to Management

Trial-and-error does not equal innovation.

Zenefits2016-09-21

"Great product but misleading management"

Former Employee - Associate Benefits Advisor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Got to work with some of the smartest and hardworking individuals I have ever known. Leadership at the top really makes you feel like you are working towards something meaningful. The concept of the product and what it can do for small businesses across the country is amazing. Extremely grateful for the experience talking with small business owners and decision makers across the country. Unlimited PTO is awesome - and often the main reason people stay with the company.

Cons

Company works you until you burn out. Pay structure makes absolutely no sense - employees doing twice the work as others get paid half as much often times. They are constantly looking to cut costs which means finding people fresh out of college who they do not have to pay very much. Senior Management/VPs really do not have a grasp for what is going on at the lower levels of the organization in terms of work volume - and whenever you bring it up they like to remind you of how hard they worked to get to their senior level positions. Software can be buggy at times - but this is honestly the least of your worries compared to all of the interdepartmental fighting and poor management.

Advice to Management

Stop just praising your employees for their work and actually reward them - perhaps then they would not keep leaving. Start setting reasonable benchmarks for career progression - so that employees will stop leaving. Getting stuff like stock options are a step in the right direction but just be aware that they do not have a huge impact when everyone is consistently looking for a new job to find a way out.

Zenefits2016-07-10