Zenefits Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 6, 2019

4.0
Zenefits CEO Jay Fulcher
Jay Fulcher

"Great place to learn and grow professionally!"

Current Employee - People Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a great place to make an impact. I have the opportunity to take on exciting challenges on a regular basis. Not only do I get to learn and grow in the process, but I also get to see first hand how my work impacts the success of the organization. I love that I get to work with a group of dedicated, talented, curious, and diverse people as well. Together we do some really cool things. The workplace culture is great - everyone is helpful and I can see our sales and customer experience teams doing the right thing for our customers on a regular basis. Also, I can see and believe in our path to success.

Cons

I thrive in an environment of change, and we're pretty good at getting the right people involved in changes, but we do make changes quickly. If that's not your thing, I could see it being challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in our people and culture. It's paying dividends.

Zenefits2019-09-04

"Awesome mission, great peers, fantastic leadership!"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Jay is an incredibly transparent CEO, which is important to me in a leader. His standing desk is central and makes him very accessible; anyone can talk to him about the company or ask questions. - The vibe is incredibly progressive, inclusive, and makes coming to work really fun. We have meaningful discussions about hot topics to ensure we're ourselves actively improving our internal people management. - Learning and growth fostered and encouraged. I've moved into many different roles at Zenefits based on my interests, and have had unlimited personal and professional growth opportunities. I've been here for a long time and have seen management and the business change. I can say 100% these changes have been for the better and I LOVE working here now.

Cons

I would have said a month ago that it's difficult to keep up with the new faces as we hire new employees, but recently Zenefits started doing happy hours to welcome each new class and that's no longer an issue.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency into company goals and obstacles!

Zenefits2018-04-16
  3. "Don't Be Afraid to Try Zenefits -- Good Experience Overall"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

- In AZ you work in a beautiful high rise with amazing views - Good IT infrastructure (MacBooks, VOIP phones, VPN architecture, etc.) - Opportunity to work with some great products - Catered lunches (daily in AZ) - A convenience store worth of premium snacks and beverages for the taking - Excellent health/life insurance benefit options that the company pays the majority of - Nice couches and seating areas to get away from your desk - Non-accruing PTO ("unlimited") - Fair salaries and good work/life balance

Cons

- Not nearly enough work space. Employee desks aren’t much bigger than the desk you sat at in high school - Noisy working conditions – There’s a high expectation to engage customers on the phone, which is difficult when co-workers are screaming, cheering, banging gongs, etc. - Sick constantly – Colds and flus run rampant, in large part due to the close working conditions. At least the company provides good medical insurance, complimentary EmergenC, Purell, and cold medicine - Tools/resources needed to do your job (i.e. software) are often taken away and you're told to, 'Figure out how to do more with less.' (A common mantra at start-ups.) - Unstable – Rolls out new business models constantly, invests in employee training, then rips it up and throws it out the window. I saw the business/service model change no less than 4 times in 1.5 years with Zenefits.

Advice to Management

Give employees cubicles and/or more workspace in general. Equip employees better to do their jobs.

Zenefits2018-04-14

"Once promising company can't get out of their own way"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the most intelligent people I have ever met or worked with.

Cons

Terrible upper management that continue to double and triple down on failed philosophies.

Zenefits2018-02-14

"Zenefits Continues Forward: Despite historical leadership errors opportunities abound"

Current Employee - Customer Care Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

I joined Zenefits fresh out of college. I was looking for a company that offered immediate opportunities to make an impact as a newbie, cared about their employees(as demonstrated by benefits, perks, etc.), and had a product/vision that impacted the real world. During the 2.5 years I've at Zenefits it has lived up to those early expectations.

Cons

Top level management has made some really dumb mistakes and we've sputtered as a result. Thankfully we have a product that companies want and need to modernize their workforces so demand remains strong.

Advice to Management

We've been through a lot here and have seen enough to know a reorg or company restructure will not fix issues on its own. Management must be willing to engage with employees, communicate better as a management team, and break down silos that constantly produce duplicative work. New management has started down this path and I urge them to continue.

Zenefits2017-08-23

"Face Reality"

Former Employee - Product Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zenefits full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good team, good initial vision for the company.

Cons

Management did not face reality of the biz

Advice to Management

Face reality

Zenefits2017-07-18
  7. "Zenefits"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing people that help make every day enjoyable.

Cons

Constant shifting of direction leads to feelings of wasted time, despite working so hard.

Advice to Management

Chose a direction and stick with it.

Zenefits2017-06-28

"It was great while it lasted!"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart workforce, teamwork, wonderful coworkers, always willing to step in and help out. Flexible schedules, periodic telecommuting, lots of paid holidays, unlimited PTO, and free snacks and lunch.

Cons

Constant change that never made any sense. Top heavy, more managers than I ever seen in my entire career, most of them inexperienced, with no HR, Benefits, Broker, Payroll experience. Popularity contest, the cool kids were the only people promoted and they only looked out for their cliques.

Advice to Management

Put people in leadership that deserve it. Talk to those impacted by changes before changes are made, to see if the changes will work.

Zenefits2017-05-16
  9. "Implementation Manager"

Former Employee - Implementation Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers and team work were a plus.

Cons

No real leadership or guidance in each department.

Zenefits2017-04-30

"Shiny on the outside, scrambled on the inside"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of free food, though I've heard that's cut back. If you were lucky enough to get laid off, you got a nice severance. That's about it.

Cons

Work/life balance was absurd. Job stability is entirely void. Product is faulty and makes employee's jobs unreasonably difficult. Unapologetic and aggressively selfish upper management that takes advantage of its young and tech savvy employees. No way this company will make it to 2020 unless it's sold. If you do get hired here, keep in touch with recruiters at other jobs frequently because what they won't tell you is that every position is actually temporary.

Advice to Management

Make a 5 year business plan. STICK to it. No more Z2, HR1 and P50 plans all within the same year. That's insane. Give more credit to the employees who ran your glitchy ship and somehow convinced clients that it was worth the 16 engineering tickets in a week to stay. Stop releasing updates to clients before they are ready. Pay your employees what they are actually worth and stop saying that the reason the employees should be staying is because of the stock opportunities when employees do ask about raises. DONT HIRE FOR A POSITION WITHIN 100 DAYS OF WHEN YOU LAID OFF THAT SAME POSITION BECAUSE OF "OVER-STAFFING". HONESTLY? I hope your premium for unemployment benefits is cripplingly high for 2018. It should be.

Zenefits2017-04-26