Zenefits Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Zenefits CEO Jay Fulcher
Jay Fulcher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Fully-stocked kitchen with premium drinks like Kombucha" (in 27 reviews)

• "Free food/ fully stocked kitchen, young and intelligent coworkers, office space was pleasant" (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • "Awful manager/ employee communication No work/life balance" (in 57 reviews)

• "Upper management makes a lot of promises they don't deliver on" (in 34 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Awesome mission, great peers, fantastic leadership!"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zenefits full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Jay is an incredibly transparent CEO, which is important to me in a leader. His standing desk is central and makes him very accessible; anyone can talk to him about the company or ask questions.
    - The vibe is incredibly progressive, inclusive, and makes coming to work really fun. We have meaningful discussions about hot topics to ensure we're ourselves actively improving our internal people management.
    - Learning and growth fostered and encouraged. I've moved into many different roles at Zenefits based on my interests, and have had unlimited personal and professional growth opportunities.

I've been here for a long time and have seen management and the business change. I can say 100% these changes have been for the better and I LOVE working here now.

Cons

I would have said a month ago that it's difficult to keep up with the new faces as we hire new employees, but recently Zenefits started doing happy hours to welcome each new class and that's no longer an issue.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency into company goals and obstacles!

Apr 24, 2018 – CPO

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! We appreciate the positive feedback and are happy to have you on the team.

2. "Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Zenefits full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive work culture focused on delivering a great customer experience. I'm respected for my contributions and have the ability to make improvements daily. The leadership is transparent when it comes to our objectives.

Cons

No job is perfect, but this is best job I've had in a relatively long career, so I've got no complaints.

Nov 14, 2018 – CPO

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate having you on the team!

3. "Good starter job"

I have been working at Zenefits full-time

Pros

Cons

Heavy workload, lots of change, little direction

4. "Account Executive"

I worked at Zenefits full-time

Pros

Good to employees and a lot of perks

Cons

Culture grew sour towards the end

5. "Complicated"

Pros

Fun, excitable work environment when sales are good and different departments are communicating.

Cons

Chaos is a major theme at the company although I left in 2016 so I am not sure how it is now

6. "Roller coaster ride, lots of highs and lows"

Former Employee - Manager, Operatiosn in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager, Operatiosn in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Zenefits full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Dynamic and fast paced
    - Opportunities for quick career advancement
    - Ability to see direct impact of your work

Cons

- Shifting high-level priorities
    - Performance management was unclear

Advice to Management

- Provide a clearer picture of companies strategic direction and action plan to get there.

7. "Good"

Pros

Good company has a nice culture

Cons

Not too bad - pretty good culture

"An Amazing Place to Grow your Career!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Zenefits full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Career growth here is common and real. Many of my colleagues have started at the bottom and worked their way up. Once you get your foot in the door, there are tons of possibilities if you're willing to work hard, be patient, and incorporate feedback you're given.

- I have never worked for a company that has encouraged me to be more innovative than Zenefits does. Managers encourage creativity and ideas from your first week on the job. I have seen many of these ideas get implemented, so long as they are realistic. I feel that I have made more of a positive impact here than I think I could at most other companies.

- I have the utmost confidence in Senior Leadership. The changes Jay and team have made in the past ~1.5 years have been well thought out and well executed. I believe in our mission and the path we are taking to get there now more than ever. Not only that, but Senior Leadership is approachable, honest, and communicative.

- The people here are some of the smartest, most creative, nicest and hard working people I have ever had the pleasure of working with.

- Zenefits has had an especially strong initiative towards learning and development as of late. This includes trainings, ebooks, etc. I truly feel like this resource can help me grow as a manager and as an individual.

- As everyone has mentioned, the kitchen and catered lunches are definitely a plus!

Cons

- We have come a long way with work/life balance during my time here, but I still think we have a ways to go. In my mind, this is somewhat expected given the nature of the company and how fast we're growing, but I can see how it would be a negative for some. This may not be the place for you if you're expecting to work a solid 9 to 5 every day. If you like to stay busy and continuously challenged, you'll love it.

- There are a lot of changes here. Again, I see this as a positive and don't mind it as it's part of growing, but I can see how others might see it as a negative. Processes change frequently, so you have to be flexible!

Nov 14, 2018 – CPO

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We're happy to have you growing with us, as the company does too!

"A poor excuse for a professional workplace, but a possibility to learn"

Former Employee - Quality Team Member in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Quality Team Member in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Zenefits full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Free catered lunch
    - Snacks/drinks
    - Laid back dress code (some people take advantage of this)
    - A lot of good things to learn while being employed here, if you can keep up with the changes.

Cons

- All around disappointed with the way this company is allowed to operate.
    - Employees are promoted to management with no experience in managing people.
    - Employees act very unprofessionally, wear yoga pants every day and condone themselves in very negative, disgusting manners. Cursing while others are talking to clients, being inappropriate and when HR is notified, they never look into it.
    - Favoritism is a huge factor here. If you know the right people, you can have any position you want, regardless if you are a fit for it or even have experience.
    - The company holds several get-togethers, which would be fun, except they are huge drunk fests and upper management is involved in being messy and the opposite of professional.
    - Sexual harassment is not taken seriously. Multiple people have complained to HR, yet those people are still employed, due to making excuses and talking their way out of it.
    - A select few employees get away with doing absolutely nothing and have the mentality of "Fire me, I dare you." This is condoned at Zenefits.
    - With multiple layoffs, you never know when your time is coming.
    - Processed change daily. This means you never get to feel confident in your role and speaking to clients. They can't seem to put a process in place and have it work.
    - Previous employee's who have left, have left pages of feedback with issues they experienced and after they were gone, the word was "who cares what she said about everything she quit." The wrong mentality of HR and upper management. Just sad really.
    - You are not rewarded for working more hours or putting in more work than others. Only people who are well liked get rewarded based on who in upper management likes them.
    - If you are looking to make some money for about a year or two and want to learn a lot in a short period of time, it could be for you. If you are looking for a career, this is the last place to look.

Jul 30, 2018 – CPO

Thank you for your feedback. Every claim that has been received has been review and resolved. If this was not your experience, please email people@zenefits.com

"Account manager"

I worked at Zenefits full-time

Pros

Great people to work with, Fun work environment, unlimited free snacks and drinks, PERFECT location

Cons

They can’t make up their mind on the company direction. They’ve laid off multiple employees at a time.

Advice to Management

Figure out the direction you’re going and stick with it. Don’t keep changing your mind every other day

Jul 23, 2018 – Marketing & Communications

Hi there, thank you for your review. We regret that you feel as though the company's strategy has been difficult. As with any evolution, change takes time and persistent commitment. We take all of... More