Zenefits "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Jay Fulcher

"DO NOT WORK HERE"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

SOME of the people are smart, capable and good to work with.

Cons

Horrifying work-life balance: 80+ hrs on average, "light" weeks were 60 hrs, which wouldn't be that bad if leadership could better identify the right things to work on. Instead a lot of your work will be squandered by terrible decision-making. Toxic environment: The glory days of Zenefits are well past it. Morale is incredibly low and everyone has a much higher workload after the company laid off half its employees in February. Lots of people sniping at one another and politics. Low caliber of employees/execs: Anybody that could get a better job already did. Zenefits can't recruit better execs due to its horrible reputation. Which means you'll get to work with the bottom of the barrel in SV. HR/Healthcare: A total snooze of an industry to work in with outdated, archaic policies and procedures. Nobody is actually excited about product-izing health insurance.

Zenefits2017-05-19

"Shiny on the outside, scrambled on the inside"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of free food, though I've heard that's cut back. If you were lucky enough to get laid off, you got a nice severance. That's about it.

Cons

Work/life balance was absurd. Job stability is entirely void. Product is faulty and makes employee's jobs unreasonably difficult. Unapologetic and aggressively selfish upper management that takes advantage of its young and tech savvy employees. No way this company will make it to 2020 unless it's sold. If you do get hired here, keep in touch with recruiters at other jobs frequently because what they won't tell you is that every position is actually temporary.

Advice to Management

Make a 5 year business plan. STICK to it. No more Z2, HR1 and P50 plans all within the same year. That's insane. Give more credit to the employees who ran your glitchy ship and somehow convinced clients that it was worth the 16 engineering tickets in a week to stay. Stop releasing updates to clients before they are ready. Pay your employees what they are actually worth and stop saying that the reason the employees should be staying is because of the stock opportunities when employees do ask about raises. DONT HIRE FOR A POSITION WITHIN 100 DAYS OF WHEN YOU LAID OFF THAT SAME POSITION BECAUSE OF "OVER-STAFFING". HONESTLY? I hope your premium for unemployment benefits is cripplingly high for 2018. It should be.

Zenefits2017-04-26

"My time at Zenefits"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Great employees, felt like coming to work with your closest friends. 2. Lots of autonomy, get your job down nobody questioned you.

Cons

1. Work life balance was horrible. 2. Always asking for more but never meeting employees in the middle. 3. No transparency, the rumor mill through all three rifts were horrible for employee moral.

Advice to Management

Try to get all on one page. Come up with a plan and actually execute it instead of changing it mid-stream. Never forget the past as those lessons learned will help you not repeat them in the future.

Zenefits2017-03-20

"Client Support Associate"

I worked at Zenefits full-time

Pros

Good starting pay ($15/hour), awesome benefits (medical, dental, vision, FSA, 401k, and you're only responsible for paying for a small portion of the costs), they provided free catered lunch everyday and the office was always stocked with snacks and drinks. The management seemed to really care about employees. You have bi-weekly one on ones with your manager where you can go over how you're performing in your role and work on developing a career path within the company. I was extremely impressed when the VP (at the time) of my department made sure to talk to EVERY SINGLE EMPLOYEE. He had a very low power distance, so he was easy to talk to and he welcomed employees being completely honest and transparent with him. What was even more impressive was he took everyone's feedback and within a few days our entire department went through a reorg to address the concerns that employees had told him about.

Cons

Work/life balance. The volume of work was so high that people would work 12 hour days on a regular basis. And even though the volume so high, the new CEO laid off 450 people. I understand that he wants to focus on the engineering team so they can fix the problems within the platform, but it would have made more sense to me to fix the problems within the platform *before* laying off so many people.

Zenefits2017-02-28

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for less than a year

Pros

Dedicated people who want to make a difference for the company and for their clients. People are extremely smart and care about one another. Free food, snacks, ect. Catered lunches and unlimited PTO

Cons

Extremely hard work/life balance Stressful environment with little collaboration from upper management Treats employees badly despite their hard work

Advice to Management

Do not lay off half of your staff who built the company

Zenefits2017-02-26

"Huge Promise but Fell Tragically Flat"

Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great sense of purpose and a noble cause (theoretically at least). - Overall, the people were great.

Cons

- Leadership is inconsistent and made game-changing decisions seemingly without due diligence or a solid understanding of the likely impacts. - The pay and perks didn't justify the long hours and the terrible work/life balance. - High internal turnover meant that you were always scrambling to plug a gap or take up someone else's work that was just left hanging. - Morale is very low for largely avoidable reasons. - I have very little confidence that the recent layoffs and change in direction were made in the best interests of clients, employees, or even the company as a whole. The whole thing smacks of a "cash out for whatever we can" mentality. This is at the expense of years of hard work (I'm taking 14 hour days) by hundreds of people. Just a pretty sorry spectacle overall.

Advice to Management

Do right by the customers and the employees; don't make huge pivots without feeling out the affects.l

Zenefits2017-02-11

"Sad to see the demise of Zenefits"

Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free lunches, free beverages, free snacks, game room, casual dress, time off when needed.

Cons

Horrible management, as in the absolute worst management I have ever experienced at any workplace ever! There were no goals or competencies to work towards for a promotion or title change. Awful manager/ employee communication No work/life balance. Had to pay for parking.

Advice to Management

It's really sad to watch the fall of Zenefits, which could have been held off or completely avoided if the right management was in place across all departments.

Zenefits2017-02-10

"Literally the worst career decision I have ever made...Zero Stars."

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Free Lunch that on a good day didn't give me food poisoning...cool! 2. Free snacks and drinks 3. Compensation was competitive 3......ummm....that's it. OH! Some of the people I worked with were pretty cool and innovative but they were all smart and left the company last year.

Cons

Ok this is coming from someone with over 10 years of work experience. This isn't my first rodeo. 1. Sr. Level VPs as well as front line management running the company with zero experience, only reason they were in their position is because they were #someteen employee when the company first took off and randomly promoted. 2. Leadership literally spent an insane amount of time and resources pursuing a strategy only to change their minds 2 weeks later. Zero transparency or communication between leadership. 3. Volatile political environment, it's not what you know but WHO you know ...these people will play favorites for days including hand picking which of their friends they want to keep during the two rounds of layoffs they had in 12 months. 4. Product is always broken..No amount of "re-branding" is going to fix that. Z2? HR1? Customers suffer and so do the employees, which makes it impossible to support a company like that. 5. Zero work life balance, they don't think twice about driving their employees into the ground. You know what they say, hindsight is 20/20! Two years of my life wasted....Lessons Learned: Don't work for Zenefits unless your have ZERO financial responsibility whatsoever and you consider yourself a masochist.

Advice to Management

Well I'm 100% sure you will be out of business within the next 3 years so...good luck!

Zenefits2017-02-18

"Specialist"

I have been working at Zenefits

Pros

Free food and endless avocados

Cons

High expectations and long hours. No work life balance

Advice to Management

Hire managers with manager experience

Zenefits2017-01-27

"Software engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good for nerds who don't have life outside work

Cons

Low pay No work-life balance, only work

Zenefits2017-02-10