ZeroFOX Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
James C Foster

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Sr. Account Executive"

I have been working at ZeroFOX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been in sales for over 8 years and this is by far the best experience in my career. However, it is certainly not for everyone. First, the executive team is top-notch, period. I was always used to working under executives who talked a big game but would not roll up their sleeves to actually help the sales team close a deal. At ZeroFOX the executive team will get involved to close deals and help coach you if that is what you need to be successful. The culture is great - it's fast paced and collaborative and everyone is truly trying to help each other be successful. Of course we are all competitive but anytime someone closes a deal everyone is excited! It truly is a meritocracy. If you perform and go above and beyond you will be promoted and/or be given a raise - it has happened to multiple people in the sales organization. Anyone who does not believe that needs to look themselves in the mirror first, before blaming the company. The product is also exciting to sell and the engineering and product team are great to work with. They also will work with sales in order to make sure the feedback from customers is looping back into product development. It's a fun and challenging sales process. You can go to work one day and have a deal close in 48 hours. You can also have a customer take 12 months to buy our solution because we are competing against so many other priorities. However, ZeroFOX enables the sales reps to be as creative as possible and the ones that can get creative and build relationships both externally with potential customers and internally with their peers will be successful.

Cons

We are still a start-up so there will be change and that is not for everyone. We are building a market so of course we still have companies who tell us that we are not a priority. This is not really a con but to be successful in sales at ZeroFOX you need to (1) demonstrate your ability to learn quickly and (2) put in the work. It has never been easy but this is by far the most rewarding job in my career.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate with the broader teams. Be honest with ourselves and our challenges so that we can develop the right strategies to meet our goals. Continue to offer career pathing and professional development.

2. "Unfortunate with high expectations"

I worked at ZeroFOX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture really seemed to be the top benefit but after sometime the only pro was the proximity from the building to my car to get home. My boss at the time was easily the best aspect, as they were and are incredibly smart, driven, and had great leadership capabilities. Working under someone like this manager was benefiting to my growth, knowledge, and perseverance.

Cons

Too many to name. Incredibly cliquey especially in upper management, all trickling down from the CEO no doubt. If you appreciate a sense of job security and projected pipeline of growth, then you will not work here.

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves, act like adults in really working with your colleagues to grow and improve. Help set standards that are achievable for such a growing cyber security necessity - key word “growing”

"Terrible Company"

I have been working at ZeroFOX full-time

Pros

Nice office building in good location.

Cons

There is no leadership. The entire management team, especially HR, is lacking in efficiency or foresight

Advice to Management

Fire your entire current team and start over!

"Run - Don't Walk to the nearest real start up"

I have been working at ZeroFOX full-time

Pros

-Cool Space (Cyber Security)
    -Cool Office

Cons

Like another recent reviewer I had been holding off writing this out of concern that as a cyber security company they would figure out somehow that I wrote this and try to ruin my career in the future.

I truly feel bad for a lot of the staff that works here with me, many of them are talented but weighted down by the leadership who at the very top doesn't know what he is doing and is essentially a con man. He says what he needs to - to departments across the board, with no thought on how it affects the rest of the organization.

When I joined there was a plan to go IPO, we even got given coins to carry around with us, it was exciting - but then I realized that what I was told in my interview was all lies.

This company has more unnecessary levels of management than any start-up I have seen or interviewed with recently, which is ironic because some how product and business decisions still seem to be made in a vacuum.

There are just so many negatives:
    -Lack of transparency when transparency is apparently part of the culture
    -Subpar Salaries relative to the rest of the industry
    -No room for growth career wise
    -No direction
    -Do things quickly rather than sustainably (complain later when something breaks)
    -There is no work life balance
    -A start up in name only
    -Product isn't developed based on a need - rather what sales people have sold that doesn't exist

Don't be fooled by the awards that they say they have won, most of them are one's the company has sent emails out telling employees to be sure to vote.

There are some seriously great quality people that work here but they are hindered by old-school ways of thinking that exist from top down management. I know a lot of people are currently just staying until they find their next job or have been here long enough it doesn't look like resume hopping.

Advice to Management

If you are going to be a tech company, maybe hire more tech people and not sales people. Stop lying to your employees, we aren't idiots we know what is going on.

"Beware - ZeroFOX is an Insincere, Deceptive, & Shifty Company"

I worked at ZeroFOX full-time

Pros

ZeroFOX offers many perks that are similar to those offered at other start-ups. For example, ZeroFOX has a generally young workforce, a cool office in Federal Hill, caters lunch 4 times a week, and has kegs in the kitchen. Departments regularly battle each other with nerf guns, which, depending on your opinion of nerf guns, can add a fun atmosphere to the office. The ZeroFOX culture can be described as “work hard, play hard”; which most people seem to appreciate and enjoy. Many of my coworkers were fantastic, very smart, and well-intentioned – but are probably soon to leave.

The company offers a comprehensive benefits plan [healthcare, vision, legal, 401k (no match), etc.] Like many startups, employees are offered stock options. [However, non-executive level employees aren’t told how much equity they have in the company, so prospective employees shouldn’t place too much weight on the amount they may be offered.]

Cons

ZeroFOX is a ruthless, bullying, and exploitative company that has a poor reputation among Baltimore tech and start-up companies. These traits run throughout the business from certain executives/managers, and directly stem from the attitude of the CEO, James Foster, who is often callous and ungrateful towards others. As a result, this place is filled with tension, anxiety, and morose faces. I know for a fact that HR asked Senior Managers in various departments to coerce employees to write positive reviews on this site in an attempt to improve the company image, and I won’t be surprised to see a slew of fake positive reviews soon.

It is convenient that this company’s mascot is a fox, as many parallels can be drawn between qualities often used to describe foxes and the negative qualities of this company: such as insincere, deceptive, and shifty. On insincere: there is a clear lack of strategy as well as incoherence with what the company claims to sell and what the product is actually able to provide to customers. Frequently the company will tell a prospect almost anything just to get them to sign, and then relies unfairly on underpaid and overworked employees to bridge the gap. Additionally, if you work here, you might be asked to do something that compromises your ethics, if you have any. On deception, do not believe their claims for a second that this company operates as a meritocracy; it’s all smoke and mirrors. There’s no such thing as growth here unless you are friends with the CEO; employees are often promised raises, promotions, or growth opportunities that either continue to move further away or disappear altogether. Managers and executives do this in order to string people along and continue exploiting them for their time and effort. Finally, on shiftiness: there is minimal transparency between upper management and the employees, despite the opposite being claimed during the hiring process. What little that is communicated is typically used to distract employees from the true issues the company faces – such as terrible sales numbers and high rates of customer attrition.

Building on the above, HR allows managers and executives to manipulate situations to suit themselves and their biased opinions, which often results in retaliation against employees who raise certain issues to HR or senior management. For example, some managers, including female executives, encourage employees to “go along to get along” when they report experiencing sexism, misogyny, and other forms of harassment. Some women have even been discouraged by executives from pursuing certain career paths, because it may “affect their plans to have a family one day”. Women at the company who speak up for themselves [over pay discrepancy, over sexism and misogyny, and other mistreatment] are told they are “too aggressive”, that they should “only speak when spoken to”, and are marked down in performance reviews as a result. Due to these and other types of issues, many employees are often too afraid to report anything negative to HR or their direct manager for fear of retaliation; and end up either suffering in silence or leaving the company.

Between the threats, the harassment, the casual [and occasionally overt] misogyny, the ageism towards younger employees from certain executives, the cagey corporate strategy, and the massive employee turnover, it is astounding that this company hasn’t been taken down by employee lawsuits, because it sure has provided all of the material.

Advice to Management

---Create avenues for your employees to grow within the company, rather than continuously hiring at the senior level from outside. Your misguided practices have resulted in management teams that are not only out of touch with the technology and the company culture, but also with the young employees they manage.
    ---Stop trying to raise employee morale via superficial means, such as once a quarter food truck parties and beer pong, and instead get to the root of the issues by addressing the systemic problems that are a cancer to your organization. Realize that being good to your employees is more than just providing free food, nerf guns, and a cool office.
    ---Pay your employees appropriate wages for the time, work effort, and dedication that they give to you. In the long run, you’re only hurting yourselves by refusing to invest in your employees.
    ---Consider asking for the resignation from your management who came from Brightpoint & ArcSight. Their pernicious attitudes are poisoning the office culture and they are a destructive force to the good that still exists at the company.

"Great Company"

I have been working at ZeroFOX full-time

Pros

Young employees and a great startup environment. Executives and managers are very talented and down to earth.

Cons

A little bit executive heavy. Very hard to get a raise, they are never given - you must go and beg.

Advice to Management

Remember everyone is an employee

"No Growth Opportunities for Employees and Poor Leadership"

I worked at ZeroFOX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Catered lunches, younger workforce, cool office

The culture of the company is actually pretty neat. The front line employees really do care for Baltimore and are trying to make the world a better place.

Cons

ZeroFOX always hires for leadership from outside the organization giving no way for current employees to move up, and frequently hires kids right out of school at very low salaries. They do generally offer stock options, but refuse to share how much equity employees have. Even current employees don't know how many outstanding shares there are, which makes the stock option grant offers pretty worthless.

The company values are awesome, but most are just lip service and marketing fluff. The leadership cares little for company values and sees them as a way to motivate the workforce, not as standards to live by.

The company talks about being transparent with employees, but most of the communication I saw from upper management on the health of the company or plans moving forward were red herrings focusing on worthless metrics to distract from the real problems in the organization. A lot of effort is spent trying to put a pretty face on systemic problems, especially when investors are planning on coming into town.

ZeroFOX is very executive heavy. They pitch the company as being flexible and cool, but it's very much of a bait and switch. James Foster, the founder and CEO is also one of the coldest and most unethical people I have ever met. He is very warm and friendly until you actually start working for him.

Advice to Management

Give internal growth a chance. It's cheaper than pulling in 'Rockstars' who have no idea what they are doing and simply look good on paper.

Spend less on marketing and more on market analysis. Build a product people want to buy, not one you want to sell that has limited value and requires large budget.

"Very Uneasy Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at ZeroFOX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Let's be honest, the lunch and the office space are amazing. A lot of my co-workers are really cool, and I like the snacks they have all the time as well.

Cons

Oh man, where to start. So I have been trying to convince myself to write this review for a long time, but I have been afraid, since this is 'technically' a security company, that they would find out who wrote it somehow. But the recent reviews and some of my coworkers encouraged me to actually do it so others would know what's going on here. I think a lot of the positive reviews were actually written by HR and not actually by employees, except for the engineering review.

This sort of gets to the center of the cons of ZeroFOX. It's a company that looks like it would be awesome to be a part of, but it's sort of a nightmare. The execs and HR spin a really nice story about how cool it is to work here, but when you get in there is soooo much sketchy stuff going on beneath the surface. This is a company that sells hard and then pulls a bait and switch when the deal is done.

That part of the company culture extends beyond just the hiring process and product sales too. Management frequently promises ways for people to move up, but then changes the goalposts or hires from outside to fill those positions. One of the cool things about startups is that you can usually grow with the company, but that doesn't apply here. Salaries are also really low for sector, with no way of knowing what the stocks are worth either, so we have lost a lot of really good people who just couldn't afford to work the crazy hours ZeroFOX requires on the small salaries they had without the company following through on raises and things like that. Most of my team is looking for work elsewhere, or waiting it out until we have long enough here on our resumes to not look like we are just jumping ship.

James Foster, CEO. Biggest con of the whole company. I have never had a positive interaction with him, and I'm not the only one. Most of us just try to keep our heads down and do work so he doesn't notice us.

Advice to Management

- When you say 'Meritocracy,' you better mean it. There is no indication you do.

- Quit pretending to be transparent and communicative by only sharing worthless information. We aren't so dumb that we don't understand when more is going on.

"ZeroFox"

Former Employee - Cyber Asset Specialist in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Cyber Asset Specialist in Baltimore, MD

I worked at ZeroFOX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co workers, great atmosphere.

Cons

Lack of communication and direction.

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate when there is an issue and make an employee aware there is an issue.

"Awesome Company, Unique product, Fun and challenging engineering"

Current Employee - Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Engineer in Baltimore, MD

Pros

- great coworkers, awesome team
    - open source technologies, leave tech decisions up to individuals/teams
    - collaborative environment, everyone has a say in tech decisions, PM and business side interested in being guided by tech input
    - growing team
    - awesome engineering department leadership!
    - 9-5, (work smarter, not harder) only have to work outside of those times MAYBE 1x per month
    - fun open source technology, use the best tool for the job
    - quarterly bonuses, yearly raises

Cons

- no 401k match
    - there are still the dark legacy nightmare corners of the code, but these are quickly disappearing as experienced engineers are prioritizing them as issues.
    - still a pretty young team, a senior person will have lots of opportunity to coach and guide and convince the younger engineers on the team

Advice to Management

- keep it up, the VP of Engineering is huge about letting individuals/teams guide their own work
    - Not much contact with CTO, but he is always receptive to any concerns, and takes concerns very seriously, and is open to any/all input