Zhone Technologies Reviews in Oakland, CA | Glassdoor

Jim Norrod

"Struggling Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Zhone Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My co-workers are friendly and very knowledgeable. No problems with extremely flexible hours. The time off policy is decent and reasonable. Standard health care benefits.

Cons

Splatter approach to product mix. The location is in a crappy part of Oakland. The company has a 401k program but does not match. No longer issue stock to employees. No raises.

Advice to Management

Focus on a smaller product mix. Consider new options to the Largo facility. Push the sales team harder.

2. "Nice Place, Nice people"

Former Contractor - Senior Sys Administrative in Oakland, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior Sys Administrative in Oakland, CA

I worked at Zhone Technologies as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great technology, very hard working people, good (although small) environment. Some very kind and simple perks: good coffee, a catered lunch weekly, a pleasant office space.

Cons

Looks like this company is lost in the wake of its competition. They grew by acquisition, but in this growth, lost direction. Being the best of the 2nd or 3rd tier of telecom isn't exactly a growth market.

Advice to Management

Reconsider market strategies; focus on what you do best and do more of it; recognize and always champion your workers. I was a contractor, but felt included in the company, so I know there's much good behind this corp.

"Bleeding edge company but does not care about its employees"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Oakland, CA

I worked at Zhone Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Bleeding edge technology. Nice location on the edge of a Regional Park. Salaries are OK. Middle and lower managers really work hard and try to protect employees from capricious decision making by senior management.

Cons

Horrible work environment. There really isn't anything enjoyable about working here. Out dated processes and practices. So understaffed that there is no room for innovation or trying new things. Going out to lunch and socializing is discouraged but they don't bring in food (except the same pizza every Friday year after year.)

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on the next quarter, stop sucking the company dry to feed the bank accounts of a few at the top, invest in the future, think out three to five years and do some realistic planning.

"OK place to gain different experience"

I have been working at Zhone Technologies full-time

Pros

Almost no politics (except probably in higher management); exposed to various access technologies; flexible working hours (even working from home sometimes); free sodas; free lunch every friday; relatively quiet environment;

Cons

Expect only salary as the source of income (plus benefits). No bonus, no 401k match, no raise, rubbish stock price, stagnant IT facilities (imagine using a pentium4 to develop software with the first generation 15" LCD screen in a cubicle shared with another coworker); horrible software engineering process (no design docs, inefficient code commit)

Advice to Management

The upper management needs more active in finding a road map. What, Where and when the company to be in 1,3,5 years and create strategies to achieve that.

"Literally depressing"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I worked at Zhone Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some smart engineers at this company. Management orders in pizza on Fridays.

Cons

Worst job I've ever had. Atmosphere is noisy and boisterous. Difficult to concentrate. Employees are arrogant and have open contempt for their customers. I've heard a product manager call his customers "idiots". On Sundays, as I contemplated returning to work at Zhone, I would slide into a depression that would last all week. Friday afternoons it would begin to lift. One of my happiest days was the day I quit this job.

Advice to Management

Try to create an atmosphere of cooperation and friendliness instead of a culture of hired guns who hate their customers.

"Worst place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

Pros

Some of the smartest people I've ever worked with are employed here

Cons

Absolutely the most oppressive environment I have ever worked. The stock grants are a joke since they are continuously reverse split into nothing.