Ziff Davis Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Vivek Shah

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management is far removed from what is really going on within the sales teams in the other offices (in 4 reviews)

1. "Inside Sales Analyst"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ziff Davis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Frequent breaks encouraged, positive work life balance, team oriented environment, full kitchen, lunch provided on occasion, and east coast hours.

Cons

High volume of lead generation phone calls, not a clear cut path for promotion, early hours.

Advice to Management

Enlighten your teams about available career paths within the company, and how to get there for a higher retention rate.

2. "Stress less place to work"

Former Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Ziff Davis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All around great environment to work in where you don't feel stressed by the people or work around you. Ziff owns so many different brands that it gives you an opportunity to learn on different teams and projects.Plus, they are also always acquiring new brands! Excellent Development team whom really build great things! Beer Fridge is definitely a plus!

Cons

For being the main headquarters, the office seems outdated, but they are working to improve it. Since they acquire new brands every few years which is great, but it also leads to company lay offs and teams being dismantled.

Advice to Management

Keep the DEV team happy, they are your backbone. Get cross brands from other offices in line to be on the same page. Overall, keep up the great work!

"Turned to garbage"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ziff Davis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The big pro used to be the break room with video games etc... now they harshly judge you if you dare use it

Cons

Rapidly decreasing product quality
    Awful management

Basically I was with a company Ziff Davis purchased... it was doing well, had been around a while, things were fantastic. Then they started meddling. They killed employee morale. Product qualify went from good to garbage. Sales strategy went from decentralized (good) to Groupon style dial blocks and metrics. Customer retention rate went from good to terrible. Pay was cut in creative ways.

Their big strategy was to fire all the management who were decent human beings and replace them with T-437 autonomatons who could care less about product quality and only care about how much more/less sales are made.

Employees went from enjoying coming to work to absolutely hating it. The sales floor I was in experienced over 50% turnover in about 8 months. Many of the people who left were 5, 6, 7, even NINE years with the original company. So far as I know they're currently operating a skeleton crew of under 50% capacity, so beware.

Advice to Management

Go back to how things were. Fire every upper management person hired since Jan 1 2016 and stay hands off.

5. "good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Ziff Davis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great group to work with lots of friendly people who are working towards a common goal. Results driven culture. People who are good and hard working are recognized quickly and have their chance at promotion. Good place to work with recognizable name and high quality brands.

Cons

Benefits aren't as good as the competition.

6. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Ziff Davis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of good people that work at Ziff Davis.
    They also have good benefits

Cons

Management was unwilling to listen to lower level employees. I was always spoke down to.
    Had to work long hours in the NY office.

Advice to Management

Don't have such a short leash with employees. Provide them the resources to do their job well.

"Pluses and minuses"

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

Work with mostly great people and lots of new technology. Develop an expertise in areas you concentrate on that will be widely disseminated and have an actual affect on the industry. Flexibility in hours.

Cons

Under current management the emphasis for writers and editors has shifted from quality of the work to quantity, with how well you're doing the job judged by how much you get done rather than how well it's done. Going into depth on most issues is not possible in the time available to do the job. Burn out, or at least brown out, may be inevitable under these conditions.

Advice to Management

You've got great writers and editors working for you. Stop judging their work by how well they fill quotas, and let them do the more thorough job they're capable of.

"It was great while it lasted."

Former Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ziff Davis (More than a year)

Pros

Results driven. Great for people trying to move up the ladder.

Cons

Very cold, corporate, lack of culture and camaraderie.

"Huge Growth Potential for Hardworking People"

Current Employee - Sales Director in Bloomfield, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Bloomfield, NJ

I have been working at Ziff Davis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growth potential is huge for someone who is willing to work hard, be creative, and be flexible to the ever changing and evolving company. The company has worked very hard over the years to cultivate a friendly atmosphere and we have company gatherings often that promote camaraderie and friendship among each other. I always feel like I can address any level of the company all the way up to the CEO who is very hands on and approachable. Everyone is really for the most part.

Cons

It's a lean environment which isn't for everyone. Sometimes employees do multiple roles to cover for roles that may not be filled or gaps that need roles. Benefits are that you get to grow and learn so many things but sometimes that can cause one to lose focus on the "assigned role." It's a public company which means if you are in sales, you are held to pretty strict month over month goals.

Advice to Management

Keep up on the morale boosting activities and keep hiring momentum and restructuring moving as quickly as we are acquiring.

"Great company!"

Current Employee - CA - California in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - CA - California in Culver City, CA

Pros

I have been with the company for about 9 months now, and every single experience has been fantastic. Management is always very appreciative of hard work and much effort. I feel like I have been recognized on numerous occasions for my hard work, and it really makes my experience working with this company awesome. I feel fully trusted by upper management on my decisions and ideas. I'm looking forward to what my future holds here!

Cons

Honestly, no cons come to mind. I'm very happy here.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Great Experience, Great Exposure"

Current Employee - Product in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product in New York, NY

I have been working at Ziff Davis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been with Ziff Davis for almost three years now and have had the opportunity to learn and grow with the company. Great exposure to the AdTech and Media industry. Great opportunity to learn from industry veterans who have extensive knowledge of the industry. Plenty of opportunity with room to grow and great mentors. The people are great and hardworking. Overall, I'm pleased with my experience here.

Cons

I don't have any at this time.