Ziff Davis Reviews | Glassdoor

Ziff Davis Reviews

Updated February 6, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Middle management given zero management training (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management is far removed from what is really going on within the sales teams in the other offices (in 4 reviews)

1. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Ziff Davis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of good people that work at Ziff Davis.
    They also have good benefits

Cons

Management was unwilling to listen to lower level employees. I was always spoke down to.
    Had to work long hours in the NY office.

Advice to Management

Don't have such a short leash with employees. Provide them the resources to do their job well.

"Pluses and minuses"

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

Work with mostly great people and lots of new technology. Develop an expertise in areas you concentrate on that will be widely disseminated and have an actual affect on the industry. Flexibility in hours.

Cons

Under current management the emphasis for writers and editors has shifted from quality of the work to quantity, with how well you're doing the job judged by how much you get done rather than how well it's done. Going into depth on most issues is not possible in the time available to do the job. Burn out, or at least brown out, may be inevitable under these conditions.

Advice to Management

You've got great writers and editors working for you. Stop judging their work by how well they fill quotas, and let them do the more thorough job they're capable of.

"No Media Moguls Here"

I worked at Ziff Davis full-time

Pros

For recent grads who want to get a foot in the door at a "media" company, this isn't a bad place to start. There's some good people who work in the SF office and motivated individuals can get needed experience if they are smart enough to not snarled by the corporate machinery that drives the SF office. If you don't get chewed up and spit out, you'll get tough.

Cons

Product is not diversified or improved upon. Old disjointed procedures are allowed to fester and because of a lack of oversight, the business continues to tailspin.

Advice to Management

Communication is nonexistent among various groups and there's no feedback loops in place to guide leadership on how to improve conditions. Taking the extra time to do things right the first time is worth the extra effort and "doing more with less" is no longer an acceptable tactic.

5. "Good company"

Pros

Nice people; good work life balance

Cons

limited promotion opportunity; not clear future goal

6. "Great Company"

Pros

The work culture was great.

Cons

I don't have any negatives at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

7. "Endemic publisher"

Pros

Solid endemic publisher, old brand name and legacy for tech.

Cons

Limited reach to non-endemic clients

"It was great while it lasted."

Former Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ziff Davis (More than a year)

Pros

Results driven. Great for people trying to move up the ladder.

Cons

Very cold, corporate, lack of culture and camaraderie.

"Solid company to work for."

I have been working at Ziff Davis full-time

Pros

Strong lineup of venerable publications. Fast-paced environment with lots of creative opportunities for growth. Tons of nice people and a welcome environment of camaraderie while working. The company's been on a growth spurt for the past four or five years and seems very healthy, with numerous big acquisitions. The NYC office has a beer fridge (with good beer), 25-cent vending machines, and free bagels on Fridays. There are catered parties on the roof deck every Wednesday after hours during the summer.

Cons

Nothing major immediately comes to mind.

"Great company!"

Current Employee - CA - California in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - CA - California in Culver City, CA

Pros

I have been with the company for about 9 months now, and every single experience has been fantastic. Management is always very appreciative of hard work and much effort. I feel like I have been recognized on numerous occasions for my hard work, and it really makes my experience working with this company awesome. I feel fully trusted by upper management on my decisions and ideas. I'm looking forward to what my future holds here!

Cons

Honestly, no cons come to mind. I'm very happy here.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Huge Growth Potential for Hardworking People"

Current Employee - Sales Director in Bloomfield, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Bloomfield, NJ

I have been working at Ziff Davis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growth potential is huge for someone who is willing to work hard, be creative, and be flexible to the ever changing and evolving company. The company has worked very hard over the years to cultivate a friendly atmosphere and we have company gatherings often that promote camaraderie and friendship among each other. I always feel like I can address any level of the company all the way up to the CEO who is very hands on and approachable. Everyone is really for the most part.

Cons

It's a lean environment which isn't for everyone. Sometimes employees do multiple roles to cover for roles that may not be filled or gaps that need roles. Benefits are that you get to grow and learn so many things but sometimes that can cause one to lose focus on the "assigned role." It's a public company which means if you are in sales, you are held to pretty strict month over month goals.

Advice to Management

Keep up on the morale boosting activities and keep hiring momentum and restructuring moving as quickly as we are acquiring.