Zillow Director Reviews

1. COVID-19

"Best company culture"

Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Even in a pandemic, Zillow takes employee needs into consideration. -Hefty balance sheet to weather changes in real estate and overall uncertainty -Very focused on equity and belonging , and educating employees -Open minded, creative and exciting place to work!

Cons

Being required to come into the office used to be a con, but Zillow has announced that there will a possibility that most jobs might work from home indefinitely, so nothing else to add here.

Zillow

COVID - 19 has taught us that culture doesn't just happen within the walls of our organization. And we've come to realize that for many employees working from home is where they do their best work. Communication and feedback becomes more important than it's ever been. Thanks for sharing your feedback here. We are listening. -VP, Recruiting

2. COVID-19

"Zillow 2.0 = big opportunities to lead big transformation"

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Limitless potential for those who are comfortable seizing opportunities. If you like to lean in rather than wait to be told what to do you'll love it here. -COVID response has been nothing short of phenomenal because our leaders know how to run a business while balancing people, profit and purpose. -Leaders are willing to change their minds, be wrong and stay open to new possibilities. Remote work is one example. Now that it's in our future indefinitely there's an excitement in the air about defining the new rules of work for ourselves and other companies who look to us for these trends. -Industry leader, household name, big growth trajectory means we will need future talent to bring enterprise operations experience, rigor and discipline.

Cons

-Complicated industries to learn as an outsider. -The amount of opportunities can feel overwhelming so it requires a lot of focus and prioritization. -Our culture is undergoing big transformation as offices take on a new role and most day to day connections will be virtual in the future. -There's a we/they disconnect between leadership and employees vs other places. As we grow, transform and share our successes I hope it will start to feel like "our company" whereby everyone is expected to act like leaders and lean in to change things rather than wait for someone with a bigger title to fix it.

Zillow

Thank you for your thoughtful review which touches on so many of the things that are also very meaningful to me. One of my responsibilities at Zillow is looking after our culture of equity and belonging. Zillow has always been grounded in how we connect with and work with each other. What you said about wanting to feel more of an "our company" connection is really important. Creating connections, fostering inclusion, and strengthening our working culture is something we must work even harder at as we settle into remote working and virtual interactions. This is something I won't lose sight of and I appreciate your feedback. - Crystal Tomczyk, VP of Equity & Belonging

3. "Growing and socially responsible"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good balance, prioritizes Employee safety

Cons

Decision making can be slow

Zillow

Taking care of our people and our communities has always been a top priority for Zillow. It makes us better people, and results in a better experience for our customers. Thank you for your support and being part of our team. - VP, Recruiting

4. "Love working here!"

Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smart people. Great mission. Excellent benefits. Very collaborative environment.

Cons

Nothing meaningful found after 4 months

CPO

I am glad you are having a great initial experience at Zillow Group. We work hard on our culture but we can always improve. Please reach out to me at dans@zillowgroup.com if you ever have ideas on how we can better.

"Changes for the worse"

2.0
    Former Employee - Accountant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Perks but might get cut in the future. Free foods but might not be there in the future dues to budget cut and

Cons

Employee morale, lack of communication, budget cut across the board, high turnover rate. The executives used to be very communicative with the employees on a quarterly and annual company meeting as well as company email. However, with the new CEO and CFO, there are dramatic negative changes to the company cultures and the employee morale has gone down dramatically. For once, there is no longer budget for team activity and department; no longer communication from the executives regarding the new changes within the company itself. Company culture has become more toxic and no longer has that tech company feel to it. All the perks have being cut across the board which lead to low employee morale and high turnover rate. Support and mentoring programs are no longer matter.

CFO

Thank you for sharing this feedback. I’m sorry to hear you feel morale changed with recent leadership changes. Since my entry, my leaders and I are experimenting with new ways to communicate within Finance about how our roles impact the success of Zillow. Specifically, we’re focused on bringing the team together in All-Hands meetings, holding open fireside chats with key leaders (I held my session earlier this week), leveraging skip-levels to hear constructive feedback, and participating in our Learning & Development trainings. We are excited about the traction we’re getting, but realize change is difficult and communication from leadership on the “why” behind the change is crucial. If you’d like to discuss your circumstance in more detail, please reach out to me at allenp@zillowgroup.com. – Allen Parker

"Amazing, transformative company with roots in consumer empowerment"

Current Employee - Senior Director, Information Technology in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great, intelligent, caring people. Opportunities to develop career, be part of an organization that is truly changing the industry. Leadership that is true to stated values.

Cons

A company that continually changes like Zillow can be challenging, and requires flexibility and discipline to be successful.

CTO

Thank you for your long service with Zillow and your positive comments. There are a lot of exciting things happening as we move into Zillow 2.0 and some new businesses and products. Our IT team is so critical to providing support for all the new people and services. We will do our best (with your help) to remain true to the culture and innovation that embodied early Zillow. As we grow and get into new businesses, the company will evolve and I certainly hope in positive ways. Some new processes and approaches will be needed as we go down the transaction funnel.

7. "Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Started working at Zillow and have been promoted within short time. Amazing benefits. Free snacks. Good work environment

Cons

Still navigating through the hoops to achieve my career goals.

CPO

Thanks for your review - we are glad you are having a good experience at Zillow! I am glad you are focused on your career goals. We take careers very seriousily here and have lots of internal resources to help. If you have any questions please reach out to me at dans@zillowgroup.com.

8. "Great company for the motivated"

Former Employee - Sales Director

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

High-growth business that recognizes and paths high-performers. Culture and leadership are second-to-none.

Cons

Executive development initiatives were lacking.

Vice President, Premier Agent Sales

Thank you for the great review. The team puts in a lot of effort to ensure our culture and leadership are best in class. I am happy to hear your experience reflects that effort. We are currently building out the next phase of our Leadership Development Program and it sounds like you have some insights to share about executive development. If you have a moment to share those insights, please reach out to stevec@zillowgroup.com. Thank you again for your feedback and best of luck with your future endeavors. Steve Capezza - Vice President, Zillow Premier Agent Sales

9. "Director"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Culture, benefits, cool projects and approchability of executive staff.

Cons

Hard to make as much money as a new hire if you have been here for a while in a non sales role. While the 360 annual review is amazing, for people who have moved up fast the financial opportunity is limiting over a long period of time.

COO

Thank you for the review, and the feedback. I'm glad you are happy here! - Amy (COO)

"Finance & Accounting - Sink or Swim culture. No Training or Support."

1.0
    Accountant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow

Pros

Lots of free food. Nice view from the office and good location. Zillow name looks good on a resume.

Cons

Little to no support from managers and supervisors. Management talks a big game but I didn't see them act out the values in reality. The culture is completely lacking in support and training. If you can't hack it, you will be let go. And the bar is set really high, because almost everybody below the manager level is in their twenties and doesn't have a family (or a life!), workaholism was common in Finance. This is just a huge bureaucratic (and publicly traded) company now. How much creativity can really come from that?

Zillow Response

I'm sorry to hear this. Supporting career development and work/life balance is a huge priority for us, and it's unfortunate you don't feel that you experienced this in your time here. Best of luck in your next job. - Amy (COO)

Found 19 reviews