Zillow Home Loans Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 13, 2019

4.2
Zillow Home Loans CEO Rich Barton
Rich Barton
Pros
  • "Oh yah, the laid back environment and approach to everyday(in 8 reviews)

• "Solid training program to get new employees off to a good start(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work from home when needed would be a great option(in 5 reviews)

• "The up's FAR exceed the down's if you are diligent in your work ethic, you will truly be rewarded for your efforts and hard work(in 5 reviews)

"Loan Officer"

Current Employee - Loan Officer in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Zillow Home Loans full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours. Free sodas and snacks plus coffee machines filled with Starbucks coffee for espresso and such. Gym, serve yourself store, free lunch on the regular, having beers at the desk every now and again is okay. Performance contests, camaraderie, and a good culture. The culture shift will take some time, but it’s a refreshing culture compared to my last few jobs. Zillow is very open to giving insight to “the... little people” regarding things that no other company does in my experience. They share updates on progress and special projects that I don’t think many other companies do. It’s nice to get the kind of communication from the top that we get. Really makes you feel like your work matters because of a shared vision and goals. Forward thinking company that strives for acceptance and inclusion. New benefits seem to be very good. Rolling out this and next month. First peek seems good. Lots of change since being bought by Zillow, this is a pro and a con but mostly a pro. They have completely revamped the training and put forth a lot of resources for newbies. Apparently you were thrown into the fire before and that’s definitely not how it feels now. Still a work in progress but it’s definitely progress. Pay is still being worked out through transitioning the old pay scale vs the new pay scale. New includes a larger base and then unit based commission. Looks great, but I don’t think anyone is positioned yet to come close to hit the higher end of the structure. That will take some more progress, but it’s a work in progress for sure. There’s new tech and man power coming down the pipe to support the ambitious pay scale. Probably won’t be here as soon as I’d like but I feel like working through the changes will pay off for those that stick around. It doesn’t seem realistic to hit the top end of the scale currently. I trust that the coming changes will change that. We shall see.

Cons

Change. It’s never easy to deal with change, but you can tell the end goal is going to be good. I’m in a unique position to have seen the old vs the new. I understand why the old are afraid of the new and both sides have great arguments, but the new is going to win so it’s probably best to acclimate to the change or move on. There’s plenty of places doing it the old way. If you come to ZHL from this year and forward... than you’ll never know the difference. The other con is growing pains but it’s a work in progress and it’s happening at a pace that is as acceptable as it could be. This kind of stuff won’t happen overnight. It sucks but in the grand scheme of things. Really there’s not much cons at all. As a LO you need to work two 8pm shifts a week and 8 weekend hours a month. That might be a con for some, but to me it’s not because I can choose when those days happen. And if you want to be successful a 9-5 schedule isn’t going to work so that’s a con if that’s what you’re expecting but I don’t care about that. The flexibility in your schedule is more than enough to compensate for that.

Advice to Management

Keep being open with us and sharing updates as soon as you can. Keep thinking about how we can improve the process for everyone involved. Keep implementing improvements and tweaking them and evolving the process. Yea, change sucks, but the long term goal seems VERY attainable. It’s really nice to be a small piece of the puzzle but feel like you’re important to the bigger picture. That’s the best thing that Zillow is... doing for us. Making us feel like we are really providing and helping through our work. I know these changes are going to take longer than you all probably predict but I am confident that we will get there soon enough. Thanks for all the growth potential, positive change, and being as open with us. If everything goes as well as I’m convinced it will, I’ll be retiring from this company one day.

Zillow Home Loans2019-06-03

June 4, 2019VP, Mortgages

Thanks so much for your review. You're right that we're building a brand new organization here - with pretty much everything changing from leadership to culture, to tech, to pricing to employee benefits and much, much more. Thank you for your contributions to our change effort, your patience and flexibility as we evolve, and for helping us build the future of real estate! - Erin Lantz, VP & GM, Mortgages

2. "Loans go to die in processing"

Current Employee - Loan Officer in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Zillow Home Loans full-time for more than a year

Pros

-beautiful office -you learn so much from processing your own loans.

Cons

- you have to process your own loans, this takes you away from selling. Expect to spend the first few hours of your day taking leads, and then the rest of your day working like a mad man to make sure your loan actually closes. RARELY, do loans close on time. Processing does not care,

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee's... it's clear what the issues are. FASTER processing and accurate closing costs are all that is needed for this places to be booming with business. Loan officers cannot produce well if we are all crazy stressed & worried if our loans will close or not.

Zillow Home Loans2019-09-13

October 15, 2019Senior Human Resources Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are working to continuously improve our processes to increase efficiency and communication across teams. As we continue to develop and invest in new technology, we are confident that we will continue to get more efficient across the board. Thank you for your patience while we make these improvements and the contributions you’ve made to ZHL.

3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Lots of promise, but not there yet..."

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Zillow Home Loans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good company culture, lots of enthusiasm and big plans for whats to come

Cons

Execution on their plans is glacially slow - lot's of "it will be great when we get this or that thing in place" but the timelines on those things are never clear, and it's always in the future. Under current systems, very difficult to get a loan closed.

Zillow Home Loans2019-07-02

July 3, 2019VP, Mortgages

Thanks for your feedback. I share your enthusiasm for what's to come as well as your frustration with the pace of change as we work to build a platform that is flexible, compliant and scalable over the long-term. Fortunately, we've made a ton of progress over the last few months and are eager to get it live at the end of the summer. - Erin Lantz, VP & GM, Mortgages

5. "Growth seems unstoppable"

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Zillow Home Loans full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very foward moving group of motivated people

Cons

Compensation leaves room for desire

Zillow Home Loans2019-04-27

April 30, 2019VP, Mortgages

Thanks for your feedback. We aim to make Zillow Group the best place to work in KC and in all the places we have offices, and an important part of that is working to ensure that all employees are competitively paid. If you have specific suggestions, please feel free to reach out directly to me to share more - we're always looking for opportunities to improve our employee experience. And I absolutely agree with you - the team at ZHL is very forward- thinking and is a key part of innovation at Zillow Group! - Erin Lantz, VP & GM, Mortgages

"Its a great place to start. Not finish"

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Zillow Home Loans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great environment! The people around you is what makes your day.

Cons

Random 10% let go of LO's. No real management help. 2 weeks for entry level training and then you sink or swim. Good luck getting anything to pass through the processing or underwriting teams. The ridiculous amount of overlays makes it to where your 6 loans will become 2 if you're lucky.

Zillow Home Loans2019-04-09

April 15, 2019VP, Mortgages

Thanks for the review - you're right we have a lot of fantastic people on the team. I also appreciate your comments about needing more efficiency and productivity. As I'm sure you know, we're investing heavily in people, processes and technology to help the entire team handle more loans with ease. We're starting to see these investments pay off and we have lot more work to do keep improving. - Erin Lantz, VP & GM, Mortgages

"Good Place to Work for to get started in the industry"

Former Employee - Loan Servicing Specialist in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Zillow Home Loans full-time for less than a year

Pros

Laid back atmosphere. Most people are helpful. Friendly crowd. Likes to have fun.

Cons

Training is weak. They have made improvements lately.

Advice to Management

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Zillow Home Loans2019-03-14

"Lots of changes"

Current Employee - Loan Officer

I have been working at Zillow Home Loans part-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunity and overall good group of co-workers.

Cons

Major grind to get anything going. Expect it to take 6 months to a year. Recently acquired by Zillow, so a million changes happening. Eventually for the better, but for now some serious growing pains.

Zillow Home Loans2019-03-07

"If I move back, I’ll return to MLOA"

Former Employee - Loan Officer in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Zillow Home Loans full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Best company I have worked for! Great building. Management is very positive and the mentality is to do a great job for customers, make great money and enjoy working every day so you can enjoy life.

Cons

occassional issues with processing but nothing close to some places

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Zillow Home Loans2019-02-11
  10. "Great Training"

I have been working at Zillow Home Loans full-time

Pros

Great people, benefits and training

Cons

Nothing bad to say re company

Zillow Home Loans2018-11-17

"Awesome Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Senior Loan Officer in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Zillow Home Loans full-time for more than a year

Pros

The training at first was rough and disorganized but the company has taken great strides to improve the map and recently was purchased by Zillow Group. I am excited for the future and opportunities to grow! Lots of fun around the office and positive atmosphere!

Cons

No work from home capability, slow processing and UW. Rarely if ever do we hit close dates. Communication from Management is not streamlined and no priority given to loans who have already missed a close date. At some point the consumer has to come first, and if you are already beyond the close date, those files should get priority long before a file that isn't closing for a week or more.

Advice to Management

Focus on close dates - this is an industry that demands timeliness and close dates are important. Stop ignoring close dates or "changing them" to pretty up reports. If a buyer has missed a close date then management needs to step in with the LO and start focusing on those files first! Way to many close dates being missed and way too many contract extensions being needed on nearly every file it seems.

Zillow Home Loans2018-11-20