Zillow Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 12, 2017

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is harder to achieve purely because the program is so involved, and needs to cover a huge range of hours (in 15 reviews)

• the inside sales role at Zillow is tough work and they are very upfront about that (in 10 reviews)

"Great culture, great benefits, great people, but with kinks to iron out."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are an insane amount of Pros for working at ZG. The benefits are industry leading as far as health, parental leave, retirement, and transportation. The perks are incredible too from free cereal wall, candy wall, ping pong, game room, speaker series, too many to list really. I truly do love this place, I love this place so much that I have had 6 referrals since I started less than 2 years ago. My wife works here, and a some of my best friends. I tell everyone and anyone to join Zillow when I have the opportunity {Maybe I should apply for the recruiting department ;) } I live far away from the office, I get in early, so I can get out at a decent time to get home, luckily my role is flexible and accommodates, and my bus fare is paid for which is a great perk. I haven't actually had a chance to formally meet the CEO, just a couple emails from him, but he seems like a great guy, cares about his people, the company, and the mission. I am very appreciative to have him as my CEO and I brag about him often with how transparent he is with his social media responsiveness. I know I could Tweet something right now about Zillow and he would respond within 20-30min 90% of the time, which is great knowing how busy he is. The COO seems amazing too, never met her, but she is very inspirational. My favorite core value is Turn On The Lights, and I believe our executives try to embody that core value as much as possible.

Cons

Nobody is perfect, ZG execs and its employees know that. I do believe my cons stem from more of a one-off situation with the managers in my department. It sucks because I know my fellow team members feel the same in my department (it's not PAC). The managers in my department are very cliquey, and very hypocritical. They are "Do I as say, not as I do" type leaders and definitely don't practice what they preach. They sit on Facebook, YouTube, CNN, and other social media channels A LOT during the day, but micromanage us to act like robots and not have any fun. The morale is VERY DOWN. It didn't start like this though, if I did this review after 8-10 months, I would have had literally zero cons, but after settling in, things become noticeable and managers show their true colors. Especially our Senior Management, nobody really know s what they do, why the work here, or what value they actually bring to the team other than going to meetings with the higher-ups to report back to us. Our department has definitely took a turn for the worst, I know a half dozen people that are trying to get out, not because they don't like ZG, but because management doesn't communicate with us, they micromanage, and don't live by the core values, and aren't the Zillow Way...I am a firm believer that people don't leave bad companies, they leave bad management. I myself have now started to look elsewhere, as much as I don't want to, but I don't see other options. Career advancement has become very competitive now with the internal transfer program. It used to be a lot easier when there was only 500-700 people in Seattle, but now, one role opens up and it has dozens and dozens of internal people applying because they don't like their department. I am obviously looking to stay here at Zillow, and will try my best with the internal transfer program, but the management may just drive me away completely. Anyways...my vent session is over. I still love Zillow, I live by the core values, and I call this place home, but like I said, there are some kinks that need to be ironed out.

Advice to Management

Cheers to upper management, you guys seems to be doing really well. Regular manager and Senior Management has some work to do. Be better communicators, show empathy to your employees (even just pretend to care about us if you have to), don't micromanage, and get off social media all day.

Jun 6, 2017 – Senior Director - Inside Sales, Seattle

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and thoughtful review. I am glad you think our culture, benefits and people are great! I'm happy to hear that you enjoy Zillow Group so much ... More

"Great, just not for me"

Former Employee - Associate Client Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Associate Client Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, benefits, benefits.

The higher-ups seem to always be willing to talk, strategize, and be of support. My director supervisor was incredible; always went to bat for me and the team, practiced transparency constantly, and was always trying to keep the team moral high.

The office is beautiful with amazing views and has tons of free food and goodies.

After a year of work, you have the option of considering other teams. This was a great incentive and provided hope and various career paths. I was not at Zillow long enough to experience this so I am not sure how smooth or competitive the process is.

Cons

People you walk by won't always smile or say hello, of course due to the size of the office, but this often does make things feel a tad bit "cliquey".

The associate client engagement specialist role is very repetitive and doesn't offer much room for creative or critical thinking. The hours are tough, 4 10-hour days, and are not for everyone. Although throughout training we were told our customer support conversations with consumers would mostly be positive, I have to disagree. People in this role are restricted to always being on the phone/email/text, hence are not able to go to most special office events or "all hands" meetings.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

May 10, 2017 – VP, Client Experience

Hi, thanks for taking the time to give us some feedback. It's great to hear the benefits were a huge plus for you, and that you really liked your manager. The characteristics you outlined are exactly ... More

"Zillow is a rewarding opportunity and fulfilling company to work for."

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Denver, CO

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are top of the line, and in most cases the pay is above average. The CEO is extremely transparent, and the company's mission is genuine.

Cons

As with any emerging tech company, change is essential. However, sometimes that goal precedes the needs of their client base, or products and features are released too quickly.

Advice to Management

Incentivize mid level management to mimic upper level management's transparency, and to mirror company values more prominently.

Apr 21, 2017 – Senior Director, Inside Sales

Thank you for the review. I share the same sentiment you have regarding the benefits at Zillow Group, our mission, and the level of transparency exhibited by our executives. I am curious to hear ... More

4. "Awesom"

Former Freelancer - Agent in Birmingham, AL
    Former Freelancer - Agent in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Zillow (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting new people. Helping my career and fulfiliing others dreams.

Cons

A lot of time and effort for the job. But we'll worth. Miss my family time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

May 9, 2017 – Vice President, Zillow Group

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It's great to read that your experience has been overwhelmingly positive and it sounds like you're staying quite busy! Please know that feedback is ... More

5. "Zillow and CES/PAC review. Growing department in a fantastic company!"

Current Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is mainly a review regarding the Client Engagement Specialist (CES) position. The position is a great way to meet like minded, career oriented young professionals. I thoroughly enjoyed the people I worked with and appreciated their attitudes. In the CES role you get to start at the ground level in a market changing company and interact with many different audiences from website consumers, to real estate agents, to lenders as well as internal departments. The CES position is what you make it. It can be extremely valuable if you take the time to cultivate relationships, build your network and learn more about Zillow Group. My former manager Justin, was one of the best mangers I have had in my professional career. He took the time to listen to me (regarding the good and the bad), he always made time for me and my team and he was always on our side and represented us in a good light. I have since moved on from that role (and stayed within Zillow Group) but if it was not for Justin, I probably would not have my new position within the company.

Cons

Being a CES on the Premier Agent Concierge (PAC) team does come with challenges like any position at any company. PAC was a pilot when I started and grew into a full fledged department within Zillow Group. Now staffing almost 300 employees (including team leads and managers), it comes with growing pains. The job can be monotonous and team leads and managers have a difficult time combating that. You occasionally deal with rude consumers and unprofessional agents. PAC also has long hours and works weekends and holidays so it can be hard to get the time off you want and the schedule does not work for everyone. Zillow Group has a phenomenal culture with company events and perks and PAC member do not always get the opportunity to part-take in those. Management says they are working on it but have never had a successful solution. Much of this has to do with the nature of the job and isn't necessarily a short coming on Zillow's behalf, but they are things applicants should be aware of.

Advice to Management

Overall, it was an honor to work in PAC and see all the exciting growth and the big changes. Management needs to continue to listen to PAC member when they have concerns or ideas as these can radically help the growth of not only PAC but Zillow as a company. One last shout out to my previous manager Justin, thank you for everything that you did and continue to be the best team lead that PAC has ever seen!

Apr 21, 2017 – VP, Client Experience

Hi, thanks for this very thoughtful feedback. I especially like your advice to management. I agree, and we will 100% continue to ask and listen to everyone in the department. It's one of the great ... More

"Business Consultant review"

Former Employee - Business Consultant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Business Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perks, co-workers, location, hours, kitchen

Cons

Feel under a micro-scope, micro-managed

Mar 29, 2017 – Senior Director, Inside Sales

Thank you for the review. Our people are what make Zillow Group great and I am glad to hear you feel the same way. Your feedback regarding our management style is important and appreciated. If you ... More

"Great company, could work on the department"

Current Employee - Customer Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work 4 days a week and have 3 day weekends. work with great people and have great teams.

Cons

Don't get to benefit from everything that Zillow offers. You are tied to the desk for 10 hours a day and ot's exhausting. There is not a lot of room for movement within the department and they don't encourage you to get to know the company. They want you to focus all your energy on the department without being able to learn anything else.

Advice to Management

Encourage you employees to want to be better and push themselves. Try to understand how monotonous our positions are and make them better for us to work.

Apr 6, 2017 – VP, Client Experience

Hi, thanks for the feedback. Great to hear you like the teams, people, and shifts. I'm sorry you feel tied to your desk. Our department provides an amazing service to thousands of consumers and real ... More

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company culture, very transparent in every aspect, office is open with no private offices (not even for the head honchos) so it is a very welcoming and not intimidating atmosphere. Amazing stocked kitchens and games and clubs to participate in. Great company parties and happy hours and the benefits are insanely good. Bonuses are awesome.

Cons

They changed the promotion time from 6 months to 12 months, which is understandable but a bit frustrating when you started in entry level expecting to be moved up to a position in the time frame they said. Changes to SOP isn't always clear or communicated clearly to everyone. Benefits are amazing but the hourly wage could be a llittle more competitive considering living costs in the area.

Advice to Management

Be better at clearly communicating those SOP changes and make sure all the managers are on the same page first.

Mar 17, 2017 – VP, Client Experience

Hi, thanks for the feedback! You listed all my favorite things Zillow does well. But, keep pushing us to do better. If we continue to build a high performace culture, we'll continue to provide ... More

"Pretty good place to work at"

Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome physical environment. Zillow tends to hire smart people who also have empathy towards others. Lots of room for growth in the business. Decent compensation. No on-call. A lot of promotions from within.

Cons

Slow release process. It's being worked on but was shipping once every 2 weeks, and sometimes once a month, which can be frustrating when what you work on requires iterations. A lot of tech stack is result of hack week projects that doesn't seem to have much ongoing support. Some teams lack clear charter.

Jan 25, 2017 – CTO

Thank you for your feedback. I see that you are a former employee, so you might not know that we have moved to weekly releases and are working on improving our deployment and monitoring processes as ... More

"IT Role"

Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits, good pay, fun people, and great opportunity for career growth. Thorough hiring process, so I felt like I was right for the job, and the job was right for me.

Cons

Location - downtown SF is quite a commute, although the office is close to a BART station.

While public transportation is covered as a benefit, the only option for parking is a FSA. It would be great if mileage and parking were covered as an alternative for people who drive.